Small Cable Yarder

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yup, J Vickary does all my chipping now.
Although I'm thinking of buying a small harvester to sit on the landing, as that sort of material is perfect for firewood - and the firewood prices are excellent...
Its a cracking little machine, only weighs about 6 tonnes with all the cable wound on. I'm going to mount it on the back of a 4x4 truck at some point. Although if we continue to be busy with it, I fancy one of these - :D
Syncrofalke_Forsttechnik_Kerschbaumer.jpg

Wow, there should be or the tires and suspension will see some serious weight. Maybe they just dont extend out past the body?

That just keeps it from tipping over, and increases the down pressure on the unit

That's cool Thor. I like it, I don't know why but I do. Probaly because I can to relate to it and something that small could have a use here also.

I am always amazed to see the pictures you post of the heavy forestry equipment you have over there in England. England is so much older than our country that I find it hard to believe that there is enough trees and available land to support a forestry type industry.

Good luck with your job. Thor, at least you have found a way to make a little money till the economic conditions turn around.

Larry, I did furniture making in Great Britain for a couple years....wonderful tradition there for such work, really top notch.

Visiting the timber merchants near where I worked, it always amazed me, the volume of domestic hardwood that was available, and large trees as well. The elm logs in particular were huge. There were Beech woods in the area, good sized trees, with other species mixed in. That's how I remember the place, lots of great wood, albeit a number of years ago.

Larry, I did furniture making in Great Britain for a couple years....wonderful tradition there for such work, really top notch.

Visiting the timber merchants near where I worked, it always amazed me, the volume of domestic hardwood that was available, and large trees as well. The elm logs in particular were huge. There were Beech woods in the area, good sized trees, with other species mixed in. That's how I remember the place, lots of great wood, albeit a number of years ago.

I find that amazing also. I know you have been complimented on your talents with wood in the past. I'd like to add mine. Your an artist in wood 8). I wished I had your talent.

I am always amazed to see the pictures you post of the heavy forestry equipment you have over there in England. England is so much older than our country that I find it hard to believe that there is enough trees and available land to support a forestry type industry.
From what info I've found ,historically at one time the powers to be in England got worried about having enough large oaks for masts of ships .Evidently at that time the whole of the country was scrounging for firewood to keep from freezing to death .

So with that in mind they burned coal which led to London being encased in acrid fumes from same .

Al, they came up with a much better idea than that:

In 1806 they stole the whole danish naval fleet, thus effectively ending our days as a major seafaring nation.

I like that little yarder. A friend of mine has a job for next winter of clearing a vista on a really steep slope, about 400 feet from top to bottom. I'm thinking of setting up a small tower and using my tractor winch to pull the brush and firewood up the hill.