Notch too small?

It's on the ground and all are safe! I had an Oakbarberchairon me some years ago, Jay put it into perspective for me! I assumed a lot. But forgot it was dead! I made smallish face, it had a head lean and the wind opposed me, then started my back cut. Not a quarter into the backcut the wind shifted 180 deg (welcome to KS!)
I could have tried to chase it off the stump,but I really don't thInk it would have mattered! To this day I wish I would havE taken pics, but that's hind sight!
You can plan and prep all you want, you can know everything you think there is to know, but at the end of the day, there will always be a tree that will do what you don't expect! That is learning and damn if it don't wake your ass right up!

I've bored the face and wedged through it many times ...I like to be cautious there and be certain not to go to crazy as that wedge is now pushing upward on the hinge itself. Ive limited doing that to trees with outstanding hinge cooperation.

A good caveat.

To clarify, don't try stacking to the point where you will be trying to get two wedges into the space for part of one wedge, or sink it too deeply where it is forcing too much upward on the hinge.

Butch, I worked in LA for almost a year and a half post Katrina in (Forgive my spelling) Slidell, Covington, Mandeville,Meterie and some other Parishes. The Pines are pretty much the same thru out. Tough buggers, even when dead. The pines you have there are more X current in structure then the Grey pines I'm talking about here.

Digger = Bull = gray pine. Pinus sabiniana
GrayPineFlickrroarofthefour.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinus_sabiniana

Nice Pic! Only indigenous to Cali. and the nut is almost 60% protein.

Bull pines are more...... like this.... Fun Fun Fun :|:

Attachments

• IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 5
  • PC280012.jpg
    PC280012.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0004.jpg
    IMG_0004.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 5
  • P1010245.jpg
    P1010245.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 4
I'm all about the bore test, too. Way more conclusive than a poke with a blade. I'll do at least two on a suspect stem. Sean is right on how to orient the bores to minimize weakening the hinge-to-be.

nice.... and is he right about the "heartwood being more brittle"? i thought that myth was busted around here...

Some of the biggest cones in the pine world. Colter is about the same size.

For sure.
I remember each time I drove route 299 from Blue lake to Redding, there would be green ones on the road and I would think " One of those through the windshield and you're dead!"

Dang things will take a tire :lol: Hell on weed eater heads as well , hell on the operator if the cone shatters:|:

This thread has me thinking back to that white pine pecker pole I removed out of an island in a driveway couple years back. As nasty as it looked on the outside, the inside still had some solid wood. The outside was pretty much falling apart. That thing had been dead for several years.
This was a sugar pine. A ponderosa or gray pine would have not hold up so well over the years.

Attachments

• DSC_0315.jpg
    DSC_0315.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 6
  • DSC_0321.jpg
    DSC_0321.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 10
  • DSC_0323.jpg
    DSC_0323.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 6
Certainly does look crunchy. Whats going on in the middle pic did you use the other tree to lift it out or just used it for a rigged soft landing?

We lifted up and into the driveway. The HOs had a ton of little artsy stuff scattered all over the island. It would have taken a ton of time removing it all, and some of it was memorial to animals and people in their life. Mother nature and the tree Gods conveniently placed a couple of tall ponderosa right where we could utilize them :)

Attachments

• DSC_0316.jpg
    DSC_0316.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 5
  • DSC_0320.jpg
    DSC_0320.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 7
I don't live in the woods but have moved back home, so to speak, to the area where I grow up. Small town USA. The major industry in the area is farming and there are two grain elevators right down town, come to thing of it there are no stop lights either just big wide open yards with few targets of opportunity.

Stephen, when I first came to California, the size of the sugarpine cones blew my little Scandinavian mind.

There is nothing even remotely like it over here.

When my wife and I went home in 89, we packed a couple of cases of nice cones along with our furniture and gave them away to friends as x-mas ornaments.

A fine sugar pine cone with a red bow on it turns into an heirloom here:)

That was really nice of Mother nature to place those handy pines just where you needed them.

I always find a graceful feeling in a sugar pine cone.. They are beautiful in my eyes. Often they have a little sweep in them as well :)
sugar_pinecone1.jpg

A lot of people collect some for decoration around their home.

Back