smallest diameter with which you are comfortable?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Wow, Gary! That was a complicated puzzle for sure. Great job! Looking forward to watching the vid.

Beautiful spot too. Where is that lake?

Lake Lanier...north of Atlanta. Not much of a video from me...just used phone to record one of the rigging setups. My BIL took some video...I'll see what he does w it. Some of it may be watchable.

here is a short video of one of the rigging setups. I had already rigged out the limbs over the house...this was one of the 15 foot vertical pieces. It gives you an idea of the quality of the limb attachment.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/TNxKODB9HNk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Lake Lanier...north of Atlanta. Not much of a video from me...just used phone to record one of the rigging setups. My BIL took some video...I'll see what he does w it. Some of it may be watchable.

I have some video of me, i found out I was boring.

I agree...and the lean was right across their bedroom. He is glad to have it down.

Bedrooms have about a 30% occupancy rate, timewise, plus people are generally asleep, so they won't hear some preliminary cracking, if present, or know of ice loading up , if the ice loading starts once they are asleep.

I make this point to people when doing evaluations of trees.

A good call. Perhaps the roof replacement was a late factor for choosing to remove this tree. Looked pretty bad.

Banging on the trunk with your ax to "sound" the tree will tell you a lot.

At State Parks, we routinely cut high faces when dealing with root disease, as there was more hinge wood up a few feet, compared to low. That also leaves high stumps that drunk campers can only bump into, in the dark, not fall over.

hahahha...like the rationale for leaving a high stump. I did sound it with my axe and it sounded hollow...neighbor tree had a good solid thud sound.

I am going to search for better (maybe higher) hinge wood next time. Hmmmmm...springboard. That'd be an eye opener down here in GA.

Thanks, Squish...the cool thing is that Billy and I took down a broken leaner and felled a small dead oak earlier that afternoon.

I only expected to get some limbing done on the house tree and to finish another day. But we actually finished removing the whole tree by about 6pm...took about 3 hours in the tree...one of the few times when I got MORE done than I thought I would with a tree. Having a competent, savvy, good common sense groundie that you trust makes a huge difference. Working with my son and Billy makes tree work enjoyable. Getting paid in addition to that is almost sinful.:D

A spring board is a rarely used item, but good to have when the occasion calls, sorta like 4wd.

Once, when it was wet and I had no caulk/ cork/ spike-bottom boots, I took a log leaned against a double-trunk cottonwood, after cutting the first as high as I could from the ground. I cut 4 steps into it. Used it as a ladder to climb on the first big, hollow stump, and an exit plan when dumping the next trunk. Way too thick to cut from the ground,where the two trunks originated. Being a big, old, nasty cottonwood, it was hollow as a drum. Couldn't risk cutting into the second trunk with the tip of the bar when cutting the first from the ground.

A spring board is way lighter, and easier to position wherever you want than that log was. I was able to stand on the rind of the stump to cut the second.

Some texturizing on top would help.

Stores in little space. A welder can fabricate a shoe/ cleat easily. My board is chitzy, just a regular doug-fir 2x8", not a clear,vertical grain old growth beauty.

A good tool in the toolbag.

Back