Small Cable Yarder

Anyone remember Glens, LOL?!?

You mean the pretty boy from Indiana that evangelised about Stihl stuff and cut firewood with an 066 ?:lol: Yep I remember ,I picked on him without mercy .:evil:

Between blasting him and Danny Boy it's a wonder old Tom didn't give me the boot .:/:

I don't have a pic but I'll try to explain it. Climb the one tree rig two guy lines out at 45's on the side the jack isn't going to be on and strap on a block. Then one end of a cable goes through a 'pulley' on the jack itself up through the block hanging in the tree and back anchored to the jack itself. Then by pulling on the free end of the cable you will raise the jack up. Once you've got it raised up to near the block the end you've pulled on to raise the jack up is wrapped/tied off to a notched stump well clear of the road. The block and anchor point that are on the jack are on top and of course the 'blade' of the jack is hanging down so then everything will still clear.

Clear as mud right. When Willie shows he will undoubtedly explain it better.

I don't even understand how you can rig a midline support on the cable and still have the yarder be able to pass it. I've never seen one close enough to see how it works.

The 'carriage' is what's rolling up and down the skyline. At the point of the intermediate the skyline sit's on top of a 'blade' like device called the jack only held on by downforce/weight. The carriage has a gap or opening big enough to allow the jack to pass through underneath it as the rollers of the carriage which rest on top of the skyline pass over. Not all carriages work with an intermediate it has to be designed for it. And yes if you're in a situation where you barely need a intermediate or it wasn't climbed high enough it's easy to 'pop' the skyline out or off of the jack by getting rammy with the yarder.

I know I'm not that great at explaining this stuff in writing.

In a situation like Ed's you have a mainline and a haulback but for simplicity's sake if you're uphill yarding this is how it works. The skyline is pulled tight by the yarder and then locked off it doesn't move. The mainline is what runs the carriage up and down the skyline. On uphilling you simply feather the mainline brake to allow the carriage to run down the hill and then you floor that yarder to bring the carriage back up the hill with the load of logs. On the flats or downhilling you need a seperate line the haulback which needs to be used in unison with the mainline to move the carriage as gravity won't take it where you want it to go.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
My intermidiate is designed so that the cable cannot pop out - and I can run my Carriage across it at full speed :)

It can't be affixed to the skyline otherwise you would have trouble tightening the sky. So it has a cover that clears the carriage and still allows the skyline to pass through?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
the sheaves are enclosed, with a narrow slot for the intermediate blade to pass through
lakesjob094.jpg

Yes that's how most intermediate carriages are that I've seen but how does your skyline rest on the blade of the jack itself?

I wasn't meaning the carriage coming off of the sky I was meaning the skyline coming off of the blade of the jack on the intermediate.

Yah I've seen that before, although the company I did my last five years with didn't have any tabs. We'd hoist the jack like I mentioned previously and the sky was only ever held onto the blade of the jack by gravity the whole time. Most of the times it worked fine but I can remember the sky jumping out a few times upon tightening and what a pita that was when it happened. Tabs are the way to go I would think.8)

Yup, finger traps we called them.
We never put ours mid span between 2 trees like that, always just hung in 1 tree against the trunk. Scraped the heck out of the tree but they are sacrificial:)

Yup, finger traps we called them.
We never put ours mid span between 2 trees like that, always just hung in 1 tree against the trunk. Scraped the heck out of the tree but they are sacrificial:)

I'm thinking we need to try this very soon Ed !! :whine: