My Oscar Is Checking Out...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm pretty sure there's a forum for just about any topic under the universe.

Its always sad to lose a fish you've had for so long...condolences.
We had Oscars in a community tank, live plants, rockscape...never had major problems with them digging stuff. Mind you the tank was plenty big enough 90 gallons.
It was fun to go and net some fry in the bay, run up to the house and dump 'em in live!!! Scatteraction!
Oscars are very smart for fish...ours would come to the glass and beg when we got home and you could make them 'dance' wiggling your fingers back and forth. Really like oscars.

Now we have a 10,000 gallon tank, its 30' long, 8' deep and 7' wide, its full of Koi carp, pleco's, a fire eel thats getting near 8 years old, two Niger catfish and a red tail amazon catfish. The red tail must be getting on for 20lbs.
The tank is also our supplemental non potable water tank, we use it for the flush water, our hot water system and the laundry. It's filled off the roof of the house, and what comes out goes into the regular septic system. Oh yes, we have four big windows in the downstairs that let into the tank, it all backs into a hillside. Part of the reason for all this is our main source of water out here is what falls out of the sky, and we live on an island in a 120 yr old house that only had a little water tank of 5,000gallons, not really enough to see you through the summer, so my hubby got creative...

The filter pond is probably 500 gallons alone, multiple chambers, all biological. The last chamber gets vacuumed out maybe every two months, floating plants on the top as well.

My hubby has been a aquarist for many years, I think he's a bit nutty about it...but I have to admit he's inventive!

That sounds awesome! Pics please? I forgot about the water in the islands. I never did get used to brushing and bathing with that nasty brackish salty stuff they call water. :lol:

Some sushi restaurants will have a big tank like that. Tell them which one you want, and they will grab a net.

What a GREAT idea!! My last house didn't have city water, so we collected rain water also. Ours was just a big cement tank under the porch though.....

If you kept fish in the water you used, did you have to filter out fish poop and such before it went into the hot water heater.

I agree....PICTURES!!!

You should see the seafood restaurants in Hong Kong. Thousands of gallons of water in some of those tanks. In Hong Kong it's not fresh unless it's killed in the process of the cooking.

Those Hong Kong open markets are something else. It appears that anyone can offer anything for sale. I saw an old man sitting on the ground slicing up something on some pieces of cardboard box. It turned out to be the biggest frog in history, from my perspective. That's all he appeared to have, the one frog. Good score for him that day, I think.

I remember looking down a complicated maze of neon kanja signage and seeing, way off in the distance, a KFC sign. I thought that was odd, but I bet now that stuff is everywhere, over there.

Sorry, sorry...here is one picture!
The fish poop doesn't stand a chance with the filter system, and it goes through a UV sterilizer before it hits the house system.

Attachments

• IMGP4015.JPG
    IMGP4015.JPG
    564.6 KB · Views: 22
Sorry, sorry...here is one picture!
The fish poop doesn't stand a chance with the filter system, and it goes through a UV sterilizer before it hits the house system.

If that pic is representive of the tanks entire population, then there are WAY too many fish in that tank.

I'm guessing they were gathering, thinking the photographer was gonna feed em?

Koi carp seem to like it crowded, maybe it's an Asian thing.

I've done work for a few breeders and their tanks [above ground swimming pools] are just full of fish. Good money in it they reckon. :roll:

IMGP0501.jpg

This is my 20 gallon tank........nothing special but I've kept her tickin for the last 4 years. RARELY does a fish die. It's just a mix of tetras and a guppy or two, with a cory cat and a plecko to do the house cleaning. Very rarely do I add any chemicals. A touch of conditioning salt at water changes is about all it requires. I have a cup of sand mixed in with the gravel. It's been said that it provides a great place for the bacteria to thrive.

Looking at my own tank in picture form makes me think that the decorations are a bit crowding..........

Back