My Oscar Is Checking Out...

prolly a good fighter on a fish'n pole

RIP......what was his/her name?

Too bad. Don't get depressed now staring at his empty tank.

I poisoned all my tropical fish once. I drained the water to clean out the algae, but I didn't get all the detergent rinsed out before I refilled it. The whole lot went belly up. Major sadness.....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Looks like me may have had ich?

No, he was dead. I just left him in the tank too long.

Jay, under NO circumstances do you use ANY type of detergent to clean ANY aquarium stuff. Never, no way, no how. Just warm water.... or cold, if you want to save the good bacteria.

Thanks. It was a painful lesson. I had some money tied up in the more exotic species. I saw it happening and didn't know what to do, just sort of panicked.

My ex wife was the best I've ever seen for creating a "balanced "aquarium .Meaning you didn't have to feed too often nor clean the tank often .

You get the right balance of prey fish,food fish and bottom feeders along with snails etc .The tank stays clean ,the system is healthy .

It may sound stupid but I used to watch those danged things for hours,very relaxing .

Like Butch said though ,you have to have an oscar by himself or things will happen . They often jump clear out of the tank for unknown reasons .

"Good" bacteria in your tank eat the ammonia from the fish urine.

I hate when you get a new fish and it turns out to be stressed out and bites the other fish. I prefer all the brothers in harmony. That's one reason why I went to keeping one beta, and then a burger eating piranha. I don't think you can buy a piranha anymore, the authorities being afraid that they will get dumped in lakes and multiply.

Funny about that, at first they are inhibited, then they can get territorial, or just become touchy. There needs to be a boss in the tank to keep it under control.

I know, Butch.

I used to have 3 huge aquariums. Very relaxing.
--and comical .I've never seen such a "go getter " among the male gender as a male molly .Those things are the minks of fishdom .Seems they have plenty of lead in their pencils 7 and 24 .:lol:

Sorry about your Oscar. That's one BIG fish!!

I've never done a salt water aquarium. I read how complicated it was and that was enough for me.

My cousin in Louisville had a huge tank, like four foot long....full of anemone and starfish, stuff like that. He backed it up to a spare room and kept the pumps and air filters there, out of site. During the ice storm he lost it all.

I missed this thread.

My brother had a badass oscar in a tank with an electric catfish, he had saltwater tank with a lion fish and some other cool critters. Orange sunshine and fish tanks... that was a lot of fun.

I kept native stream life for a few years... more hours of staring.

Sorry about the oscar but small cichlids are cool too. We have firemouth cichlids that were introduced to control vegetation in one lake but they've spread into several drainages.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yea, they get big alright - that's part of the appeal. You should see them eat another fish. First they scale it, then they start chomping. You can actually hear the bones crunching if you silence everything.

I didn't feed this one live food, or he woulda been even bigger.

Back