My father's axe

I purposely dulled my Husqvarna splitting ax (wedge pounder) and shorty topping ax (and covered in duct tape--gray magic 😀 ).

I have felled trees with axes. Just for fun or for a stunt. But when falling timber I never carried an axe that was sharp enough to chop a tree down.

Sharp only enough to chip off bark for setting wedges, and freeing a stuck saw once in while.

Toting a razor sharp axe in the woods is a liability for the modern timber faller.

My friend Larry Galliani once told me, "Jer, if you're chopping wood you're not making any money."
From one of the men who quite literally wrote our textbooks...

I know hero worship makes you uncomfortable Gerry, but you happen to sit atop a mountain of talent, skill, experience, and wisdom. Sometimes it's OK to sit back on that seat, get comfy.

Got an email from Helko advertising their Ironwood line of boutique axes. Looks like many are already sold out. These things are very pretty. I think you'd maybe buy one as a work of art, and not to use, but I guess if you're rich, you could use it, and buy another later. IMO, their regular axes are worth spending the $ on as a working axe. I have the Black Forest Woodworker. It's a fine piece of craftsmanship, and very nice to swing.

I purposely dulled my Husqvarna splitting ax (wedge pounder) and shorty topping ax (and covered in duct tape--gray magic 😀 ).
Interesting 'gray magic' trick- you have a sharp edge ready to go if needed.

Why not just use a mallet or hammer if you are unlikely to chop any wood with the axe. I use a claw hammer, multi use tool.

Sharpish/ dullish.

I used to pound wedges with the 8# maul that I already owned. Someone left it out of the truck at the shop one day, so I bought a fancy Husky when I needed it, rather than going to the shop. It's a good splitting ax. Useful for a little bark chopping. Typically, I wouldn't spend that much, unnecessarily. It was $85-100.

My topping ax is a used 5# ax with a shortened handle... maybe 12".

Electrical tape is 'black magic'. 😀

Regional differences you know.
Plenty of those in logging.
Burnham and I have been ribbing each other over stump height and bar length for 11/2 decade.

Regional differences you know.
Plenty of those in logging.
Burnham and I have been ribbing each other over stump height and bar length for 11/2 decade.
Yeah I know. I’ve seen those plastic faced euro hammers.

I just prefer to have more options/tools on me.

Course I’ve never seen Europeans wedge as much as west coasters (multiple double or triple stacks) but maybe that’s just my limited online perspective

I like axes anyway. I switched to using one for work almost 30 years ago. 95% of the time it's just a hammer, but when you need a blade, it's a real time saver. It's not sharp, but it does a fine job chopping roots, scraping pavement, prying rocks out of the ground, and being an improvised shovel. I can also chop it into the ground, and hook a tape off to it. If I owned a survey company, every truck would be equipped with an axe. Most people probably wouldn't use it, but the smart ones would ;^)

But I bet the laughers are not using a claw hammer instead :P. That's still wrong ;).
Some of us have spend an inordinate amount of time with a claw hammer in hand. I've legit worn a few out. I also "accidentally" killed a raccoon with one once, but that's a story for another beer.

Back