At what height is a plant a tree?

Treeaddict

Treehouser
Anyone know a/the textbook regulation height to consider a species a tree? I just learned it and found it interesting and wondered why I hadn’t thought about it before. It’s based on capability to attain this height, therefore a sapling of a tree species still qualifies.

It's all pretty arbitrary anyway. Words are just tools to describe the world around us, and carry no weight on their own. If everybody agrees only trees have tomatoes, Then that's what a tree is.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think per the ISA study guide, the 10’ was to show how a palm would be called a tree instead of a grass.

It's all pretty arbitrary anyway. Words are just tools to describe the world around us, and carry no weight on their own. If everybody agrees only trees have tomatoes, Then that's what a tree is.
John, you're looking at it the wrong way. Words are magic, and you just showed us how to make a tomato into a tree...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Another reason for the definition, I suppose, is legally discerning what a landscaper can work on vs an arborist. This is applicable to regions requiring licenses. Insurance (from what I’ve seen) sometimes insure a company to work on plant life but can limit height.

Back