How'd it go today?

The rim drives are far superior. The old sprocket drives bunged up a lot more chain. Oh my, throwing a chain on an old Mac 125 sprocket drive would literally rip the drivers off a foot of chain. Ah, the old days.. they weren't always so good.

Hiking in Tahoe yesterday

should be at lest 5 feet of snow here min.

Sugar pine cones

9s3cRuL.jpg

Zn0aCtH.jpg

Ponderosa pine holding rock? lol

7S1wrZG.jpg

plmt6sl.jpg

Neat pics!

Had a great time jamming with some old band-mates today. Got the feeling we might be putting an old band from '87 back together. Man it felt good to play with this unit again.

It got up into the low 40's today. Spent most of it scraping the farmyard and my driveway today. We had a fresh 5" of snow, but I was also getting about 6" of hard pack peeling up. It's ice underneath, so it was tough going. Next year I'm going to try and get a set of tire chains. Then it probably won't snow.:/: I've only got about two days of pine slabs left, so I switched to burning some ash logs that I had. I've got a bunch of hedgerow trees that I want to get down and cleaned up this winter/spring, so I'll probably be burning hardwood for the rest of the year. It was nice to be outside and not freezing. Yesterday I drove my tractor a couple of miles up the road to help a friend try and open up a stream crossing for a thinning job he is on. I hooked my winch to the back of his tractor and he drove in. Broke through about 8" of ice. He finally made it to the other side, unhooked, turned around and hooked to the front. He made it back out, but I had to pull a couple of times. I haven't heard yet if he plans on trying it with his Metavic trailer, or if he is going to skip this job this winter. The beavers have backed the stream up, and it's causing a lot of trouble. It was high teens yesterday, but with high winds. I was an ice cube by the time I got home.

It got up into the low 40's today. Spent most of it scraping the farmyard and my driveway today. We had a fresh 5" of snow, but I was also getting about 6" of hard pack peeling up. It's ice underneath, so it was tough going.[ Next year I'm going to try and get a set of tire chains. ]Then it probably won't snow.:/: I've only got about two days of pine slabs left, so I switched to burning some ash logs that I had. I've got a bunch of hedgerow trees that I want to get down and cleaned up this winter/spring, so I'll probably be burning hardwood for the rest of the year. It was nice to be outside and not freezing. Yesterday I drove my tractor a couple of miles up the road to help a friend try and open up a stream crossing for a thinning job he is on. I hooked my winch to the back of his tractor and he drove in. Broke through about 8" of ice. He finally made it to the other side, unhooked, turned around and hooked to the front. He made it back out, but I had to pull a couple of times. I haven't heard yet if he plans on trying it with his Metavic trailer, or if he is going to skip this job this winter. The beavers have backed the stream up, and it's causing a lot of trouble. It was high teens yesterday, but with high winds. I was an ice cube by the time I got home.

Chains are a pain but they sure do work. I have a set of double ring chains that I wore out. Been looking on Craigslist for a pair for a couple years. I finally decide to order a pair, $400 something, and wouldn't you know a set shows up for $150 only 20 miles away. Damn it!!

Chains help on soil, too. I chained up last week to get the chipper in and out for pruning a fence line of fir. Wasn't invincible, but it helps.

It feels like a couple years since I've been in snow.

Today was about as crappy as they come.
Sleet and hard winds.
Around 10 o'clock I lost a mature beech sideways and crushed my 660.
That thing was Dead, capital D!

So I went and picked up a new 661.
Around 1PM we decided to go home and redo the 40 something 24" chains that we somehow made 4 links too long.:|:
As we were doing that, our guy, Martin, gave notice.
He finally got accepted at the police academy.
Good for him, but we'll be out a good man.
He'll really be hard to replace.

I've been kicking the dogs and saying "frig"!!! a lot this afternoon.

The good ones always fly higher at some point. My bests have gone and done better for themselves either mentally or financially.

We went out to work, lot of disbelief then low level grumbling, on account of high winds and rain, got two small jobs done.
Picked up a nice oak dismantle from one client who just wanted to see us work before giving us the ok on it.
70ft oak down to maybe 25ft down the bottom of his garden (I seem to be on a run of these)
Me: "you know it's going to die in all probability afterwards"
Client: I don't care, I'm 78, if it does die it'll be years before it falls over and I'll be dead"
Me: Ok, I'll get my diary and well set a date"
That's how I roll.

Better a 66 under a tree than you Stig.

Sleet, rain, wind so I was glad to stay at home as the job booked for today has been moved to Friday.

Nice to have a rest as I've got this tomorrow.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    269.5 KB · Views: 46
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    252.4 KB · Views: 45
Back