How'd it go today?

Actually wore a long sleeve shirt in morn...(who wooda thunk being in nor cal) a little windy, pine top swaying... easy day though

Started training a new groundie. Gal I've known for a while. She needs the money and I need the labor. See how she does.
Easy job today dwarf mistletoe removal on Monterrey Pines.
Nichelle.jpg

Every since I took that Hedge tree down for my dad my knee's been all jacked up. I took a thorn right below the knee cap, pulled it out and thought all was good. It keeps swelling up and getting infected. I've drained it, sliced it open three times now and washed it out with alcohol and hydrogen peroxide, but still swelling up on me.
I've never had one bug me this much before, I keep thinking there's something still in it, but I sure can't see it or feel it when I open it up.

Im hoping I can get to the redwoods And further up North. Id like to meet Gerry and give him a handshake and thank him for all he has done. One day hopefully. I just wanna explore my roots. My family is all from Tahoe and some from Carson City.

Got lucky today. Went and took care of my house taxes so that's done for the year, then got a call from a long time customer and got the go ahead to take down a decent pine and 2 dead ash trees. So tomorrow is set. Maybe just a sprinkle but it's still a break from the drought

Burning out on pruning a bit. Took the wraptor out the truck, even. fruit tree, fruit tree, fruit tree, Japanese maple, Japanese maple, dogwood, dogwood...

might mix it up and prune a birch tomorrow.

looked at removing a big fir and big double trunk maple.easy access for a lift and a crane. all the material goes off site, might as well sell logs.

Been fighting asthma last couple days and lost the fight yesterday.. Katy had to take me to ER right after I was done at the Urgent Care and getting my prescriptions filled. Had a bad reaction to all our early pollen and the Monterey Pine I did got me bad. On the up side I got some blood work and heart monitored and lung x rays that were over due. Looks like I am strong like bull but just can't breath making me be hauled into the hospital like little girl LOL
Frightened the kids a bit. Could not make it from the truck to the ER doors. Had to send everyone to go get a wheel chair as I barely propped myself up on some railing.
Urgent care would not give me a shot (epi or adrenaline) that I really needed, so all day later, I feel better and finally slept after two days of it.
Should be all better tomorrow. Bored out of my mind taking three days off though.
Probably going to need the Wraptor for Sat and Sun.

Wow, that's a frightener.
This Dutch guy I climb for occasionally phoned me up to cancel a job, said he'd had an episode and collapsed, turns out he'd had a burn out and his heart had gone wonky, stress etc.
He said to me "I always thought this sort of shit was for weaklings" he's a tough guy.
I kind of sensed that something like that might happen, he's an intense kind of guy, always putting himself under pressure, as soon as he achieves something instead of sitting back for a bit he does something else, like buying an old ruined house or opening a garden centre.
What's really sad is he must really scale back his business and he would have sold me his chipper, but now I've bought another!

Went to the Doc today myself for my annual check-up.
Got a wart froze off ball of my foot. Bunch of blood work. Tested for change in blood pressure between laying down & standing.
Have to go in again soon and have lung MRI done and get spot of cancer removed from my face.

I thought a bit about the Treehouse at work today.
I was logging some 140 year old beech trees and had to send them all downhill, so the forwarder could get to them ( All the rain we are having, means no driving on hillsides)
Bucking smooth skinned trees like beech on a hillside into 9 foot logs means you are fighting end bind the whole time.
Chris taught me a trick where you buck from above and just before the cut closes on the bar, you cut a wedge out in top, tamp it into the cut with the bar, then ream in from the side and finish the cut.
Saves carrying wedges for bucking.

So I was thinking happy thoughts about all the smart stuff I've learned in this place:)

Thanks Chris!

Back