Plans and Goals.

This is tangential to this discussion. This older guy certainly ran with his hobby and had a lot of fun tinkering to make his wood gassifier truck work.

I wonder how they prevent creosote buildup.

It would be great to run the chip truck, bucket, and chipper on the chips you make. No more buying fuel except on rare occasion.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

You found a Shay! Those are awesome geared locomotives, designed and built specifically for the timber industry. The produce insane torque, even by steam standards, and they can pull hellish grades with monstrous loads.

Of the two types of common geared locomotives, the Climax and the Shay, the Shays are arguably the superior machine.

I wonder how they prevent creosote buildup.

It would be great to run the chip truck, bucket, and chipper on the chips you make. No more buying fuel except on rare occasion.

They filter it and use gasifiers that make less creosote, but the best and simplest is to use charcoal like they did in ww2. They also need ample warm up time to get hot enough before they run the engine off it, and if it's a diesel they still need enough fuel to provide the ignition. If people are interested i have literature on it, it's old technology that laid the foundations for the fuels we use today. It can also be used in heating applications (far easier than running it in an internal combustion engine), which makes automating the process much easier too, and can utilize almost any feedstock provided the right preparation. This is also the same way that modern coal power plant works, by gasifying the coal they remove the solids from the process with much greater efficiency and control.

They filter it and use gasifiers that make less creosote, but the best and simplest is to use charcoal like they did in ww2. They also need ample warm up time to get hot enough before they run the engine off it, and if it's a diesel they still need enough fuel to provide the ignition. If people are interested i have literature on it, it's old technology that laid the foundations for the fuels we use today. It can also be used in heating applications (far easier than running it in an internal combustion engine), which makes automating the process much easier too, and can utilize almost any feedstock provided the right preparation. This is also the same way that modern coal power plant works, by gasifying the coal they remove the solids from the process with much greater efficiency and control.
PDFs? That would be ineresting to look through. I would think fuel regulation is another challenge.

Back