How'd it go today?

or lets not be sensitive, not racist to say it was 2 Mexicans (or Guatemalans, again I never stopped to ask) working their asses off
I wasn't saying you were being racist. I was joking with @Nutball by suggesting he was using under-inclusive language by failing to give the Guatemalans their fair share of the potential respect for doing that job. It's very dry humor. Sorry. I was probably a bit ambiguous.

Last edited:
Saw a dead weasel(probably) in the road yesterday. I was heading to a job and passed a dead animal. Sorta looked like a squirrel, but not really. Had a car behind me so I couldn't stop. On the way back, there was no one, so I could take a good look at it. Not a squirrel, not a kitten, and didn't look quite like an otter. That left the long tailed weasel, which we apparently have here. Learn something new every day. Never saw one in my life, and didn't know weasels were around. Pretty cool, but it's a shame it was squished.
Weasels in the field are kinda cool.

Weasels in your chicken coop are assholes.

Final update on the job at my apartment complex. They ground the stump yeseterday and it actually ddn't take that long. Looks like they left all of the pieces and just cleaned up brush. They didn't come back today, so I'm wondering if the apartment complex plans on having maintenance take the pieces to the landfill. That doesn't sound practical considering how much the property owners make annually in pure profit, but maybe they'll be here tomorrow.

Question for the pros (not me): Is it normal for stump grinders to stop abruptly repeatedly throughout the duration of use? It was not only annoying to listen to, but I could feel the gears screaming "stop grinding me!" It's like they were giving it too much wood at once and the device was repeatedly seizing on them.

Finally, I am sorry to report that the limb I thought was saved is actaully a destinct climbing hazard. They almost entrapped me, but I did my due diligence and this thing is not safe to climb on. Why didn't they cut this down? The rest is bifurcated down the center at the L-joint (I'm making terminology up...that's how the true pros do it). Bifurcated is a legit word, though. Praise be to Merriam Webster.

Would you cut this down if it were your job?

PXL_20230915_231841477~2.jpg

Bummer about your climbing tree. That thing looks like shit. I can't imagine why they kept it unless they just want something green there til they get around to replacing it in the near future.

I've used the term "bifurcated" in reference to two sides of a road that are different elevations. Like on an interstate, where the north bound side has to be higher than the south bound side for some reason.

Question for the pros (not me): Is it normal for stump grinders to stop abruptly repeatedly throughout the duration of use? It was not only annoying to listen to, but I could feel the gears screaming "stop grinding me!" It's like they were giving it too much wood at once and the device was repeatedly seizing on them.
was it bogging down and slipping a belt, or a "brrrr mmmm brrrrr mmmmm brrrrr mmmm" kinda like autofeed on a chipper?
most stumpers either slow down or stop feeding till the disk speeds back up so you dont stall or burn out belts, I think rayco and vermeer slow down, bandit stops (I think)

Many are hydraulic too, some of which will stall, some have an autofeed which can still stall, and some have a tirque limited motor that stops without stalling the engine, but those seem a bit low on power for obvious reasons.

I've found it best to grind down as deep as you can without the top of the stump getting too far above the axle, then just keep moving forward instead of grinding top down each time it moves forward. Still have to back out to clear material once it starts stirring a lot.

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the insight into the functioning of a stump grinder. It makes more sense now.

Here's the full tree. Off to the right you can see the limb that bifurcated at the joint (joint is a made up tree term for where it abruptly changes growth direction). Not sure why they didn't cut that considering it has zero structural integrity and there's plenty more tree off to the left. Is this a eucalyptus?

PXL_20230916_011303989.jpg

Last edited:
to the experts here, what do you think of my idea to remove the highly damaged section to the right? cut at red mark and don't bark peel like the last guy did
looks to me if that section ever grows any more green it will likely be all watersprouts, and if it doesnt grow any more I see potential for rot and liability and also the risk of disease

1694830431083.png

to the experts here, what do you think of my idea to remove the highly damaged section to the right? cut at red mark and don't bark peel like the last guy did
looks to me if that section ever grows any more green it will likely be all watersprouts, and if it doesnt grow any more I see potential for rot and liability and also the risk of disease

View attachment 132184
That's what I would do if it were my tree...and I kind of felt like it was MY tree, which is why I'm so focused on all of this haha

started a fence clearing job, did the bottom half (up to 12ft roughly) today, I did most of the polesaw work, all with a Jameson pole, im probably gonna feel that in the AM

this is 1/4 Mile (~1300 feet) of 5 strand electric solid wire fence with a little 3 strand barbed wire thrown in, cutting all up to 20ft and everything tangled in the fence
we made lots and lots of small piles to chip, left the chipper running wide open and I followed the truck in the mini ex feeding the chipper, worked out well
camera doesnt do it justice, its a 10 minute walk from one end to where the truck was parked in the middle
1695242750467.png

I excavated a thorn out of my finger today. I've been working on it for a week now. It went straight in deep, broke off, and I couldn't get it out. It started to heal over, and the lump was annoying me, so I've picking at it on and off. I finally gave it a real effort, and got the sob out. I have one in my little finger that's still there. It's been in so long, I don't know what to do with it. It's affected my nail growth, and given it a concave channel where the lump is. I wonder if it'll ever completely break down?

hypodermic needles (like for a syringe with the threaded end) work great to dig splinters out, dont hurt too bad when you shove it through the skin and pokey enough and such a sharp edge its very likely to catch a splinter

those, super glue, and a razor blade ive found to be the 3 most effective things to get splinters out (and tweezers)

about the one still there, how long has it been there? id expect it to either break down or be rejected within a month no problem (but ive seen crazier things)
my dad has had thread from stitches get rejected 20 years later so theres that (atleast how I remember it)

Not sure how long the old timer's been in there. At least long enough for a full nail growth. The bump seems a little smaller than it used to, so it may be fixing itself. I don't always notice right away, cause I always have something that hurts. I just ignore it, and the pain fades after awhile. It doesn't hurt, but the effect on my nail's annoying.

Back