How'd it go today?

Took some limbs (one lead in particular) off a barn roof today. Some zip line, some drift, some lift. All in a days task. Almost no access. wish we could have got a crane in. I'll take the check. Team did good. Like a labyrinth going through zig zag stalls in a barn to set up. One guy just running a HOBBS on the other side of a fence and the dingo drifting limbs on the other side.

Today I got to pick on all my buddies with Avants using the BMG style grapples. Yet another job I can do with my root rake grapple that they can't do. :P Root raking out this lakefront.
This was about 2:30-3. I didn't finish but only have a couple hours left in the morning. Made good money, too.

381302914_916333073496055_576452460381353195_n.jpg 381316268_725014412975983_1448791615391334240_n.jpg 381303005_984473692777617_5239886156518474110_n.jpg

Today I got to pick on all my buddies with Avants using the BMG style grapples. Yet another job I can do with my root rake grapple that they can't do. :P Root raking out this lakefront.
This was about 2:30-3. I didn't finish but only have a couple hours left in the morning. Made good money, too.

View attachment 132358View attachment 132359View attachment 132360
thats one thing about my tooth bucket, I can rake a 30ft circle without moving my tracks, almost as fast as the avant
thats actually how ive been raking up all the big stuff lately, gotta take care not to hit the grass but you can rake anything 1/4"-6ft diameter no problem

im actually planning to get a 36" dirt bucket and a 42-48" tilt grading bucket eventually, shame on me im becoming a landscaper lol

It would be nice is the right pain killer for doing that was easily available.
You used to get OxyContin for an ingrown toenail (fact) and now you barely get codeine for pain that makes a grown man cry (my experience)

I’m sure it wouldn’t be too hard to find the Chinese fentanyl that came across the Mexican / US border.

Amphetamines are still frequently given out though.

absolute worst case you can slap a vertical shaft Predator motor on it from Hazard Fraud and itll still cost less than a new mower

harbor freight has 1 maybe 2 models, the one I recall was like 735CC tho, 30HP or so
An intelligent neighbor who is a retired lift mechanic uses the Predator engines in some of his builds. He likes them. He’s more smarter than me mechanically so they must be decent motors. Aren’t that a Honda copy?

for my first failed road test!
if you dont mind, how bad is the trailer backing portion? I assume you are getting a class A

I can back decent, sure can push a trailer no problem, did a quarter mile in one shot yesterday at a running pace with my chipper no problem
road test should be easy, they will ask what the sign said when you go under an overpass/bridge, and I don't think you get to occupy the left lane when turning right during your test from what I hear, swing wide but don't cross the white
all this is based off what im told by CDL drivers tho, and in the last 20 years that has changed im sure

Did some end weight reduction on this elm as I was done my day job early. This is very challenging for me. The lower right and a portion of the top was easy but some of those upper left will be difficult. I may set a line at each branch tip as well as have the high TIP.

Attachments

• IMG_6747.jpeg
    IMG_6747.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 1
In Massachusetts, the fail rate on the first test is something like 83%. It's been like that for at least 25 years.

Backing a 48' box is very different from a tag trailer. Not necessarily hard, but you need to do it to figure it out.

They don't tell you anything, but where to turn. You have to call out every speed limit sign. "Unmarked overpass=14' or higher" and no stopping or shifting on railroad tracks.

hopefully my test stays on main roads, the roads here can be so narrow a small car has one tire in the grass and one on the double yellow, of course im learning to drive in a 2500 quad cab ram, stick shift, on 13.5 wide tires, it does not fit on the roads here worth a darn, its sketchy to say the least

gonna get me a class A, same costs as far as im aware, almost the same test but if I ever want to pull a 14K dump, 21" chipper, or anything like that then a B would be a waste of time for me
hopefully I can borrow a truck with a manual, im not getting an automatic restriction

Let's have a brief moment of silence for my 25mL and 250mL volumetric flasks. They weren't just a class act method for measuring liquids, they were Class A, meaning they are inherently as accurate as volumetric flasks come.

I was cleaning up for my girlfriend, who is coming over in a few hours, and I inadvertently knocked them over. I had them (a collection of seven flasks, each for a different volume) organized nicely on the table in my living space as a centerpiece (yes, I'm an ultra nerd) and accidentally knocked them down. Not too long ago, my girlfriend knocked the smallest one over and that began a change reaction of destruction (I don't blame her, though. It was inevitable).

Ugh. These have been a part of my life for many years and now they are done with; no sequels. They aren't cheap either. So many reactions, so many memories shattered.

You're all probably like, "what the f*ck?"

You have to appreciate chemistry and borosilicate glassware to understand this loss adequately.

PXL_20230923_225543121.MP~2.jpg

Finished the lakefront clearing job today. 3 big loads of weeds and dirt in my truck. One load almost didn't dump, and I know the truck dumps 10K lbs easily.

Anyway, a great day. I found a new cheap dump site even if it is 20 miles away from my house. Still closer than the county dump and way cheaper ($40 per load vs. $33 per ton).

Also ran into an old acquaintance who I met 16-17 years ago the one time I competed in a climbing competition. She is known as 'Tree Girl, her name is Alecia (she doesn't have her full name on her card) and she has been the Florida State climbing champ 7 times! She saw me as she was leaving and I was pulling in. She rolled down her window and waved me down, said she recognized me! She said I took her up in my bucket truck. I was blown away because I had no idea who she was and gorgeous women don't flag me down every day. So we chatted for a while and exchanged cards. Made me feel good all day. 381184850_2056588768027406_6926993848725178742_n.jpg

40 per load vs. $33 per ton)
im moving back to florida!

$100 a load at the local mulch yard and $58-80 a ton at different dumps in the area
thinking I might get a small tub grinder and just start selling mulch instead of paying to throw it away

Finished the lakefront clearing job today. 3 big loads of weeds and dirt in my truck. One load almost didn't dump, and I know the truck dumps 10K lbs easily.

Anyway, a great day. I found a new cheap dump site even if it is 20 miles away from my house. Still closer than the county dump and way cheaper ($40 per load vs. $33 per ton).

Also ran into an old acquaintance who I met 16-17 years ago the one time I competed in a climbing competition. She is known as 'Tree Girl, her name is Alecia (she doesn't have her full name on her card) and she has been the Florida State climbing champ 7 times! She saw me as she was leaving and I was pulling in. She rolled down her window and waved me down, said she recognized me! She said I took her up in my bucket truck. I was blown away because I had no idea who she was and gorgeous women don't flag me down every day. So we chatted for a while and exchanged cards. Made me feel good all day.View attachment 132388
Alisha A? She seems like good people.
Pretty too.

Well I finally rolled my Avant today after 2 years and 1035 hours. No real damage, just some scratches and a cracked rear engine cover. They say you never really know where the line is until you cross it...
Was working with a buddy's crew trimming out an apartment complex in Clermont, FL (very close to @Billhowe1 ). Was on the last stretch of the steep backyard hills. I couldn't drive uphill but could come down the sidewalk and cut through the hedge gaps, grab a pile and turn downhill to the bottom and then drive out to the chipper. On this pile I was sliding sideways trying to grab the pile. Finally got it and turned downhill but couldn't get the back of the machine behind me. Made it about halfway down before rolling (but I knew it was going over well before that point). The roll bars worked perfectly and sustained no damage. Just a 6" crack on the engine cover. Will's Avant 420 couldn't flip it back so he used his Chevy 3500 4x4 dually to pull it upright.
I will wait until tomorrow before starting it, after I crack the injectors to bleed off any excess fuel in the cylinders. It lost a bit of hydraulic fluid so I will bring my 5 gallon bucket and pump to fill it up. 384424596_1739749563119075_303055313417253000_n.jpg 384309553_983902619506561_8187465424786985134_n.jpg 383243487_631089545566562_7620097506242848259_n.jpg 384177573_987737825821078_278662378401654091_n.jpg 384063530_285448434285635_8448254597368076153_n.jpg

Back