How'd it go today?

They're getting trolled by their planner. The guy sold them as Balkan crape myrtles, and he drives by every day and giggles :^D

What are Balkan crap myrtles.............new species to me?

Made up name stig. I picked that name cause it sounds like something, but our Ocean City friends won't be able to search it. They'll think they got an exotic variant of crape myrtle, but I'll be long gone with the money when they figure out they were sycamores I dug up by the creek ;^)

At least it died in friendly territory. Was able to borrow the truck and trailer to get it home. Jeeps can smell money, and usually want about 1/3 of whatever you have in your pocket, so I'm a little baffled about the severity of this breakdown. (My pocket is empty, and the injury appears to be life threatening). 20220703_182741.jpg

More stupidity. These things are everywhere they shouldn’t be.

Attachments

• F1535635-1ED9-4E38-B516-E4E9D4C46D7A.jpeg
    F1535635-1ED9-4E38-B516-E4E9D4C46D7A.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 10
  • 85077AEF-216C-4AC2-B6C9-56D76FD6DA93.jpeg
    85077AEF-216C-4AC2-B6C9-56D76FD6DA93.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 10
  • 410BE017-8E47-48C7-B4FC-83E32FC57F33.jpeg
    410BE017-8E47-48C7-B4FC-83E32FC57F33.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 11
  • 744A43F1-A747-4ECC-92A5-BF1C30BF77A5.jpeg
    744A43F1-A747-4ECC-92A5-BF1C30BF77A5.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 12
  • 5EF2AC8F-B218-445E-A16B-16C943956646.jpeg
    5EF2AC8F-B218-445E-A16B-16C943956646.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 11
  • 81087815-F267-4103-A360-0DD6C62AF3F4.jpeg
    81087815-F267-4103-A360-0DD6C62AF3F4.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 9
  • 4FF46846-2B0A-486E-A09A-CA046E919AFD.jpeg
    4FF46846-2B0A-486E-A09A-CA046E919AFD.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 8
I hear a lot of people complain about Jeep reliability, but my old Cherokee was the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned. It never required anything aside from typical maintenance items. It's still in my driveway, and needs a bunch of work to be truly road worthy, but it did pretty good for ~220k miles. It would be a nice offroad beater for someone.

Mike, that place is really somethin'. I truly appreciate their commitment to large trees near structures. Looks like something I'd do on my personal property, but I don't think even I could do that on a commercial investment. I particularly like the angleiron prop on the one tree :^D

Was gonna order a cat tree from Amazon or PetSmart, but checked Craigslist first. Found one about 15 minutes away for 25$ and the description and features sounded good, so was able to meet the lady and buy it. It’s like new with instructions, I Googled the make and model and it goes for 210$ at PetSmart, so score, yay! The kittens love it, Zelda climbs to the top and surveys her kingdom, Link likes sleeping in the little house. These two are just too damn cute. Getting along pretty well with the dogs, eating well and using the litter box, friendly with all of us and charming any visitors we’ve had. Two or three times a day we have to clean around their eyes, they get kinda gross. Guess it’s common, and as they grow up and their ducts and sinuses grow, it should stop. Doesn’t appear to be an infection anyways.
46D90D65-7987-4E68-9A4C-49ABD65A26A6.jpeg 7A52163C-A83C-4D30-B87A-EBC3F7A2FE20.jpeg 01F7DFE2-726A-47BD-852D-95D43A187750.jpeg

Sounds like a good idea. Looks really easy to make.
I have that zk-1 ropewrench on indefinite loan. I'm sure Jed and ruel wouldn't mind me passing it along. It has everything needed aside from the climbline. It's well worn, but functional gear. I just moved it to my work kit to make a full srs system there, but it would give me an excuse to build a pulleywrench a la Jonny.

Started compression testing the diesel.. Of course the damn thing fired right up so I got to check for injector function first. Looks like a lot of leak by due to o rings. Found a couple things going on. Melted plug on the head gasket. Loose oil exhaust on injector getting slapped by the rocker arm. Checked to see what cicuit I lost on the melted plug and it was the glow plugs on 3 and 4. I pulled number one and tested the plug. Yeah, they are shot. SO commenced on removal of the glow plugs for compression test before I throw out injector money. Place an hour 1/2 from me tests them and rebuilds and warranties them. No core charge if I drop them off and pick them up. NP. Low and behold, number 2 glow plug tip is now stuck in the hole. I mean I was pleased with my first comp test on #1 at 400#. I was pleased with the fact my fuel pressure gauge I installed is working nicely when I ran the motor. But now, I am not real pleased. This is going to take some doing. Probably a new pair of vice grips and make a slide hammer for it or pull the friggen head. Tried to use compression to push it out. Nope. However, I may try hydraulics. I pulled the injector on #2 to gain better access. So now that cylinder is full of fluid. Hmmmm. Might just work if I can manually turn the motor after I set the injector back in :/:

You know how those 15-30min projects go, takes longer.

All I was trying to do was drill out one of those average washers from the hardware store to 1/2". I swapped to a regular higher quality bit after the harbor freight step drill quit, but come on!

DSC04792 (948x1024).jpg

I probably should have checked this bit before using as it looks dull, but I only needed to go through 1/16" of mild steel at most. Apparently that washer got really hard

On the bright side that bit seems to have gotten a little harder where it got hot. After sharpening it, and grinding away the hardened hot spots off the washer, I proceeded to see which would win out. The washer won, or should I say the 3/4HP motor on the drill press? Who would have thought you could smash a 1/2" spinning drill through an average washer, and the washer not end up with a larger hole, but rather end up with a smaller drill bit?

It was. I am ordering new gaskets with harness/ plugs. Going to rewire some. The glow plug solenoid is going to get replaced as well. It should have shut off after start. But alas, that melted part was still smoking. I thought it was working ok when I metered it. Looks like it sticks every so often. Fugger.
I can Order a whole kit. Gaskets, harness, glow plugs and glow plug solenoid as a whole. I could have them send injectors too. But I would rather have them warranteed more local. Why I 'll take them to the valley. Even fuel round trip is less than the cores cost I would probably have to to chase down. And if there is a warranty issue, it will be way eisier to handle. Heard some horror stories about on line stuff.
I found a do it yourself slide hammer tool I'll try tomorrow or Wed. Top of the element is where I can get vise grips on it. I'll spray some PB Blaster down the hole to try and decarbon over night, make the tool and try it. I guess they swell at the tip and between that and carbon build up, they can get stuck and pull themselves apart when you extract them. Buggers.

Good luck with the truck Steph.

Spent a couple hours this afternoon with the boss working on some drain tile that was smashed by the irrigation installation at the same depth (years ago). Couldn't fit another clay tile in the spot so boss wanted some corrugated plastic tile there to span the section. Got it all covered and the sod replaced, but I doubt we fixed anything.

The entire problem was water coming up in that spot...now the corrugated stuff will always let that happen there..oh well. At least there was no leak to be found in the irrigation. We'll have to wait until the season is over to dig everything up and that could be a real hoot...got put in in the late 50's. Irrigation went in sometime in the Eighties.

Back