How'd it go today?

I have one, but haven't tried it yet. I was testing my new hand ascender, which I kinda don't need on a 3:1. So, the wrench alone will almost hold me on the 3:1, so I decided to try without, and just the klemheist worked pretty well. I went up and down a few times, only 10 or so feet off the ground, and I'm liking the 3:1 with no wrench.
If you're able to descend on the hitch, I'm guessing you're hitch is on the tail. You will need the wrench for the normal location.

I cut down my handled ascender about 8-10 years ago for a ropewalker. I've used commercially made floating/ knee ascender(s). I'm good with mine, always using SRT ascending. And 98% working.

If you're able to descend on the hitch, I'm guessing you're hitch is on the tail. You will need the wrench for the normal location.

I cut down my handled ascender about 8-10 years ago for a ropewalker. I've used commercially made floating/ knee ascender(s). I'm good with mine, always using SRT ascending. And 98% working.
Yes, the 3:1 is basically my rope wrench as there is less friction from and less weight on any friction devices. I'm only needing 2-3 wraps on the hitch instead of 3-4. It's slow, but it's not really a workout just pulling up by hand, so a foot and/or knee ascender would be super easy.
1657071176275.png

Helped friends with firewood while the kids played. Taught a longterm city dweller grandpa to use the gas powered log splitter. His electric supplier was a lot for him up to this point.

Dragged a bunch of logs out of the woods for them. They'd friends-rate hired me back in the winter to drop trees in their plantation planting that is overstocked for this year's firewood, but they've been busy with 2 kids and two jobs.
Easy place to buck and split next to the firewood sheds.

It's gonna be a long day. Have to help the boss do borings. Know why they're called borings? It's boring as shit. Since I'm the only one that knows how to use a phone and get software; using phone gps, I'm in charge of marking out the entrance in the corn for the backhoe to get to the borings we laidout yesterday...

IMG_20220706_085338945_HDR.jpg

160' in the flagging direction. Now I wait. Sigh...

Oh, and rattlesnake habitat. They rattle at ya while you work.
You guys take any other precautions besides just avoiding them? Snake chaps or something?
Are they protected? Can’t just shoot em for dinner and make a wallet or whatever I’d guess.

I ust got my plans for next week screwed up real good.
We are sceduled to fall some 500 cubic meters of Doug fir for the State forests in late august.
Now it is suddenly 800 and the mill wants half pretty soon.
So we'll head for the woods and fall some fine trees.

Not the worst way to have your scedule messed up.

You guys take any other precautions besides just avoiding them? Snake chaps or something?
Are they protected? Can’t just shoot em for dinner and make a wallet or whatever I’d guess.
Weed eat the parameter of the work area. Then cut some limbs or brush with the chain saw. That usually disturbs them enough to move out. Unless its chilly. Right now in the 80s so they move out. Don't stick your hands in places you cant see. Use long handles loppers untill you can see in, then hand pruners when you can. Then wash rise repeat. Dingo vibration helps too. They are rather shy and hate a lot of noise and vibration. No chaps necessary at the moment. Needed More so if you are felling and bucking in high grasses etc.

I reach for the m12’s more than any of the others. Well-balanced, compact, and the right size for most things in the wood shop.

“Fancy that! I just yesterday received those together in a carry case as a birthday gift from my sister. :)

Last day of the beach vacation tomorrow. It’s been action packed. The kids are enjoying it and so are my wife and I. We partook in: boogie boarding, go carts, rock walls, fishing, kayaking, beach/sand construction projects, water park, eating junk, shell and rock collecting, and playing in the waves. Gonna wrap things up tomorrow evening and make the 3 hr trek home although have the place until Saturday at 10:30 am. Sucks to wake up just to leave as well as more traffic at that time.

Last edited:
Back