How'd it go today?

I'm chilling while Dahlia gets a viola lesson, the first in many months.

Quick meet up with my GF after this.
Glazed her a vase at Painted Plate, 2 weeks ago ago when I went with Dahlia. It's a glaze it yourself pottery joint.

This and some coffee mugs about the extent of my art of late... 16567184597774098911285305502981.jpg

Flowers from my yard.

Dealt with real estate, insurance, medical and bills this morning, then went in the afternoon with kid and other summer help to go fall three, crispy, dead ~40' Green Ash in a backyard. Being 94 degrees and 85% humidity made it all the more entertaining. Had to Maasdam all of them, as the leans were all wrong on them (over a Bamboo field right next to neighbor's fence). Chipped every last bit of them. We all melted by the time we pulled back into the yard.

Last edited:
A customer wanted to get rid of all the trees, edge and shrubs in his backyard, excepted one tree (the nearrest of the house, go figure !). The two landscapers asked me for a cherry and 4 mapples, as they didn't feel confident to fell them themselves by their heights and their leans. Far from monsters though. It turned out that with the help of Maasdam puller, a 6' hight stump and a diagonal aim, they all could fit in the backyard. Sweet, only ground work. How convenient for a hot day. Good impression on the landscapers too.8)

Finished up here in Ketchikan today. I will take a morning flight back to Wrangell in the morning.

This place is absolutely crazy with tourism these days and it rules the economy of what was once a major timber town. The cruise ships just keep getting bigger and bigger. There were 4 tied up downtown and 2 tied up in the new Ward Cove terminal just north of town.

Here are a few random tourist photos. Creek Street is the historical red light district now converted to shops.
IMG_20220701_164420_HDR.jpg IMG_20220701_164234_HDR.jpg IMG_20220701_165215_HDR.jpg IMG_20220701_165151_HDR.jpg IMG_20220701_165114_HDR.jpg

How do you feel about the change? Bittersweet? My first place I moved going out on my own was a down and out "city" that had a certain charm to it. Since then, money's moved in, the shoreline's been developed, and everything's "better", but stuff got lost in the transition.

It's just people transitioning I guess. I'm glad I don't live in Ketchikan. At least in Wrangell we have a manageable amount of tourism and a lot of it is independent travellers which I think is a bit more authentic.

Right now I can hear the audience cheering from a "logging show" from my hotel room that is put on for the tourists... chopping events, sawing events, and pole climbing. Canada vs. USA logger actors, kinda cheesy. Sad thing is that the cruise lines now own the tourist shops, restaurants and other waterfront businesses. Only the smaller scale stuff is locally owned

Anyone have an Akimbo I could try? I'm thinking of trying to climb again. The neighbor has what looks like an easy to climb red oak, the kind with a ball shaped canopy made up of a thousand branches. It's only like 30-50ft to where there's no more trunk. No targets too close that couldn't be avoided by steering the branches away or cutting them out farther. $400 is just a lot to drop right now when I could wait until a sale. Not sure if I'd prefer a rope wrench instead, which looks safer having a friction hitch, but also isn't as simple. I imagine a friction hitch could be used below the Akimbo when starting out until it is dialed in.

I just ordered an Echo pole saw, which I've been meaning to for a while, but saw you can get a 4ft extension, which should make it longer than any other telescoping pole saw. That might let me knock out a some of the branches from the ground.

Start of the annual family vacation. We’re at Ocean City MD with extended family- 18 of us all together. I’d prefer mountains and/or woods as my first choice but there’s a few why reasons that’s not happening. I still enjoy the beach though. Boogie boards/body surfing, digging deep holes in the sand, digging for sand crabs/sand fleas, shell and rock collecting. All done with and for the kids of course 😉. There’s a ton of Sycamores/ London Planes purposefully planted around here. Unless they’re a dwarf (and I mean dwarf) species I don’t know about, they’re way too close together and in way too tight of a space.

Attachments

• 979DB4B4-C31B-4693-8D8B-25E278E6BC0D.jpeg
    979DB4B4-C31B-4693-8D8B-25E278E6BC0D.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 5
Ocean City's great. We went every year when I was a kid, but I haven't been in awhile. Sycamore seems like a wildly inappropriate choice for a drive/parking area in an urban setting. Cool trees, but very messy.

These little beauties are Link (boy) and Zelda (girl), picked them up last night from my girlfriend’s aunt. Guess she feeds the local strays and one decided to have her litter on her patio. They’re adjusting really quickly I think, they’re quite cuddly and affectionate. Tonight we’ll introduce them to the dogs, I’m sure they’ll all be cool. Got some shopping done for them and appointments made for vaccinations in August and spaying and neutering in September. Her aunt is getting that mama cat spayed too. Way too many strays in Niagara Falls.

379BE43D-4386-4F63-8216-78338B495AB6.jpeg C35C08FA-8CCE-40F6-9527-536B844C012F.jpeg

My longest cat was a Zelda. All black with a white belly and a small white spot on her nose. Enjoy those two, Jonny! :thumbup:

Back