How'd it go today?

I particularly like that pic of the couple. American Gothic Redux.
Walter built custom homes, primarily on the east end of Long Island. Marie had been a Potter her entire adult life. They moved to NC near Durham snd two years ago bought this 1890s house on 3.5 acres for under $65k, moved there, and are building up their little paradise.

No mowing today so was planning on getting out of work a touch early. Made it 100 ft from the driveway and boss waves me down on the road coming in. He needed help digging up a broken sprinkler line to find a leak (did one himself yesterday & his back just can't take it).

He was real apologetic & his wife (owner) had told him not to ask me (I already do a lot of extras for them) but he couldn't find any other help. I just laughed & said "we can do it right now if you want". I could literally see a sigh of relief.

Pulled up some sod & had him turn on the pump to see if anything was obvious...nope. We decided to let it set & dry out for two days & I'll find the leak on Thursday morning.

Got to the restaurant for breakfast next and got my meal for free 8) Normally, I walk in and the kitchen staff will start my food as they already know what I want. Well, yesterday they were really busy, and no one manages to make me a meal. I sat 45 minutes before one waitress asked the other about my order and there was a lot of negative head movement from her and several in the kitchen as well. By that time I'd had more than enough coffee so paid for that and left. Not a big deal,, things happen and I wasn't bothered at all & told them that...today was on the house anyway against my objections. :lol:

Drove to North Carolina.... Then visited a couple an hour and a half away .... Then drove to Charlotte, to deadwood a few trees for an old friend...... Talked till near midnight Fri-Sat..... Heavy rain around Richmond

Whenever I read these post from Pat, I wonder "what he's smoking" :rockhard: :lol: to get all that energy, and this scene comes to mind:thumbup::lol:.

We've all seen it before but give it a watch, I was lol'g;)

Routine day. Nothing interesting. Made grass shorter, and had a pretty exceptional day to do it. It still sucked, but this weather is almost unheard of for the end of June. Dry as a bone, and barely 80°

Screenshot_20220628-160753.png

Did some running around this morning (dumped wood, went to small engine shop for mower repair and part for the blower, bank deposit, etc...).My son and I then picked up the rental grinder, and headed back to the commercial job we've been on to do the stumps. 19 in all, and we got 10 done today, including the 2 biggest ones (38' and 36" ash stumps). Seven hours total. Still have 2 big ash, a fugly scotch pine, and a few smaller ones Zach will get with the Dingo grinder. Once finished, send out the bill and get ready for more fugly ashes to drop at a fellow fireman's house. Damn EABs will keep me busy through the summer.

Last edited:
Today went really well. Started off with the neighbor offering us access using his driveway for the bucket truck in exchange for chipping a small brush pile. This made the job a choke and stroke instead of me climbing the whole day. Also freed me up to run the ground. Crane was able to get in with far less hassle than we anticipated as well. Only real hassle was a pissed off mail carrier that refused to acknowledge that the sidewalk closed signs meant anything and walked around the barricades. I got called many names that I shall not repeat and just smiled back at him. Everyone got a chuckle seeing this grown man (looked to be eligible for retirement ) throw a tantrum over not being able to use 50’ of sidewalk. Tree was down and crane folded up by 3:30. Clocked out by 5:30.
Once home things got rough. Why when a company designs a machine, do they make it next to impossible to get to important parts? Had to tear the plastic and the gas tank off one of the quads to get to the carb. I had to replace the throttle assembly and cable. Because of this it took much longer than anticipated but I also might have solved the minor fuel leak it was having. Now it’s almost 11 pm so I think I’ll get a shower and go to bed

Nope Sean, will never happen with me. I hate my phone with such a passion that I have to restrain myself multiple times a day to keep from smashing it against a wall or throwing it through a chipper. It's only use is phone calls, texts, the VT tree id app and checking email when not at home (especially for the work email). Even that is too much, in my book.

Whenever I read these post from Pat, I wonder "what he's smoking" :rockhard: :lol: to get all that energy, and this scene comes to mind:thumbup::lol:.

We've all seen it before but give it a watch, I was lol'g;)

The wife asked if you meant that I fake the orgasms, or the “I’ll have what she’s having” quip?

Alaska steep pass (fish pass) down here in Ketchikan. A number of these have been constructed over the years on certain streams in southeast Alaska. They have gone out of vogue for the most part because of maintenance issues and the fact that the native salmon runs typically didn't need the assistance to get past the barriers. IMG_20220629_192345_HDR.jpg

I’ve been thinking of getting a respirator for stump grinding. I carry a box of the 3m masks so it helps. Work provides them and guys don’t wear them for some reason.
@stikine My father in law and his girl friend are up in Alaska visiting someone. Didn’t know till last night. All I know is it’s someone in the military.

While installing a toilet I would occasionally peek at the “arborists” across the street removing some type of evergreens. One hard hat, chainsaw pants, and ear protection between 4 of them. No one had eye protection. Guy free climbed 20’ with a rope tied around his neck to set a bull line. No signage and very little traffic control despite working on an extremely busy street. No high viz either. Dude one handed a rear handle as high over his head as his arm allowed. Accidents waiting to happen.

Attachments

• 5D9DF613-2AB9-4DA1-8A77-54448788BF54.jpeg
    5D9DF613-2AB9-4DA1-8A77-54448788BF54.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 13
  • 4C6C2B35-5884-4644-AF45-3D7F623D7044.jpeg
    4C6C2B35-5884-4644-AF45-3D7F623D7044.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 14
Wonder who it was. I also wonder how common that is from seemingly well equipped companies. I'd expect most would get a little more "professional" once they graduated from the business card on a corkboard' advertising model.

Definitely had expert in the name!!! You nailed it !!! It was Arbor Care Tree Experts. I’m an idiot newby doing jobs here and there and follow the ansi z133. These guys never heard of it. Actually I see this alarmingly frequently. It hasta have an impact on insurance rates.
Disregard for ppe is one thing but the free climb with a rope around the neck was a whole other level. Wonder if it was a slip knot?!

Back