How'd it go today?

I haven't used or looked at the 2511 since I mentioned the oiler, aside from one tree I dropped quick the other day. It wasn't running long enough to see how oiling was going. Do you find dogs useful on the 2511? I haven't really felt like I was missing anything without them.

As far as road closure goes, it's one way in/out, and the horses are run as a business. It's better to minimize down time. eg, When's the best time to do it? The tree's not that tall, but access isn't the easiest cause the beavers plugged the riser, and the pond overfilled. If dry feet are desired(they are), it'll take thought and care to enter the tree. All of which is to say, dropping a limb, and coming down to deal with it isn't as straightforward a process as it could be. I'd also like someone to keep an eye on people just make sure no one is where they shouldn't be at the wrong time. It's pretty easy to do myself due to lack of foliage now, but policy, right? No single problem is intractable, but the small problems together make it a better two person job. And of course, the fences... I don't get paid enough to make a managerial decision regarding fence destruction. I'm also not enthused about fixing fences by myself if something happens. I want the owner(my boss) there to say "Yea, that's cool" If a plan is proposed, and it doesn't work perfectly. It's not especially tricky work based on my quick overview of it, but shit happens, right?

Pre beaver, this was my first "production" climb using only rope. I removed a limb that was overhanging the drive and hitting trailers. Took awhile to hip thrust myself up the tree, then I promptly got my saw stuck when I went a little too deep on the undercut :^D I then had to come down and get the handsaw I consciously left behind, and hip thrust my ass back up the tree. Valuable lesson. No matter how straightforward a job looks, if you're getting in a tree to cut, always have a handsaw available :^D

Day is starting out great. Right now I’m watching a guy struggle to get a saw out from a pinch. Storm damaged spar. Left horns to set slings easier ( against my suggestion) and the internal stress released something. The heat has been brutal this week and I just need to keep it together till five o’clock. Might break down and order the non high viz cool vest. The high viz is out of stock. Anyhow, I hope to be hooked up by 5:30 and be relaxing by the lake by 7

Edit: just had to explain nicely why he has to cut above the pinched saw not below. Approaching critical lift capacity and I don’t like not having a 25-30 percent buffer for error

I absolutely think they help. They are not missed if you never used them, like if people have never used full-wrap handles or power steering.

I've got two 2511t's. The newer one didn't have dogs. I forgot that the other one did. The bigger dogs are way better in one test cut.
I'll send you the old, smaller dogs if you PM your address, but I'd recommend the bigger ones for $10 on eBay. I robbed two screws from old 192t's to mount the dogs. They are plastic holes, with the wood screw-like threads.

I don't use my MS193t really. 2511t for almost everything. The 200T for higher power requiring cuts, like big leaning limbs that might split, but generally just use proper cuts to prevent splitting. Can't remember when I used it before that, except for about 7 years ago, but probably have used it since then for that purpose. Besides that huge cottonwood, I'd taken my 2511t up with my 200t. 2511t for limbing, topping, and chunking down a 150'+ doug-fir until out of gas and getting into bigger wood. Then 200t(double-cutting some of it) for chunking down, until I came down, drank coffee, and brought my ms362 or ms460 up for chunking. Before that, I took both up a 160-170' grand fir that I could also leave as a habitat snag at 50', burning the whole 2511t tanks, and most of the 200t. I shut off the saw between cuts.

The other day, I carried extra gas and oil in a maple dismantle, using a tank and 2/3s to get it to a fell-able spar.

I'd love to get a modded 2511t.

Been on Prince of Wales island this week (staying in Craig) to put on a basic chainsaw class for new operators. It went well and everyone went home with all their body parts intact. I was a bit too busy to take pictures. Next week is Ketchikan to put on a crosscut saw training. Will make more of an effort to take some pictures to share hopefully.

Yesterday the kid and I got all the equipment back to the commercial custy of my broother's, so I climbed and removed the back weight towards the building, and then we flopped and chipped the biggest of 3 ~70' declining ash trees in ridiculous heat & humidity. Supposed to have 2 more bodies today, so we'll make a bigger mess and get them out. Property manager came out to discuss, and added 2 more trees and stumps, so we'll be tacking on more to the bill. The tree my son made a mistake on appears to be water under the bridge, so we may have dodged one there. Will try to have pics of the other trees today.

Got back yesterday afternoon from a week at Clearwater Beach, which included three days of Trees Florida 2022 Conference and Trade show. Got a bunch of CEU's and learned a thing or two. We had a great room at the hotel, 8th floor suite facing the Gulf of Mexico and half the normal room rate for conference attendees.
A pic from our balcony and a seagull photobombing my sunset pic.

Sheraton.jpg
IMG_2454.jpg

I went for a swim one night around 11:00 pm amidst the bioluminescent plankton creatures. Kind of a surreal experience made even more so when a manatee surfaced and took a breath right in front of me.

Bummer Patrick. I've had the same ordeal when I got lazy once with a piece of yard equipment in the back of my pickup as well. No fun there.

@BeerGeek Glad to hear it about the mistake going away.

Be super-duper happy he is not dead by coming into work compromised. Coming in to work without sleep could be deadly. I didn't want to constructively criticize at the time in light of the situation. That is your job to protect him (not throwing stones, AND being very serious).

I've run crews for 18 years (15 years of tree work,3 years with crews of 10 in the backcountry) and backcountry groups of adjudicated teens in the very deep wilderness for 3 (including rock climbing, rappelling, high-ropes challenge courses, canoeing, backpacking, etc.). I've seen a lot of problems, and headed off way more.

Most every F-up around me has be due to someone being 'not all the way there'. I've been nearly killed and nearly blinded by employees. The one employee injury, besides pulled muscles, was self-inflicted by the guy I reference to new employees as "Toolbox Face". Guess which is tougher, the tool box door on the side of the truck canopy or the guy's face, almost his eye.

My GF has sleeping troubles and burns the candle at both ends. It made things so difficult at times, though I have left that out of discussion our our working life. She, like most everyone before her, will not get on the Call and Respond program.

When I hook up my trucks alone, I say out loud the same things that I expect a spotter to tell the driver (e.g. 6" to the Driver's Side and 9' back). People want to do it their way. Simple procedures like those that are not being followed help me to monitor the status of people's thinking. When they can't/ won't do those things, its frequently a good indicator of something else going on (tired, hungry, dehydrated, distracted).

My hesitation of getting a GoPro and starting to have someone make tree videos is basically/ entirely the distraction factor.

150FF191-8333-4553-8C75-07C1E3654896.jpeg
Only pic from today. Wasn’t to bad. A nice sized leaning white oak, decent cherry with a rotten base, and another dying cherry. Customer is getting the whole lawn replaced after the pretty grass people over fertilized and killed almost all of it last year. Felt good to do a rigging removal without the crane. I can’t really claim that either. I just drug brush and moved logs with the mini.
Tomorrow I’ll be climbing on a large damaged pin oak removal and we’re bringing in a sub crane and op. It’ll be fun

Attachments

• 263C1838-9EC3-4381-87E5-5061824151A8.jpeg
    263C1838-9EC3-4381-87E5-5061824151A8.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 4
Drove to North Carolina, assisted with a Pride Climb in Mebane on Saturday. Then visited a couple an hour and a half away in Candor to pre-plan building a pottery studio and a catenary, wood-fired kiln. Then drove to Charlotte, to deadwood a few trees for an old friend, and since she is downsizing she returned a family heirloom dresser I had given her in 1985. Talked till near midnight Fri-Sat-Sun, which made the drive home today more of a chore. Heavy rain around Richmond, VA.
8DC7BBD5-1CCF-40CD-8DDC-B9CB6D3FAE3E.jpeg
E24C3121-284D-44D9-916D-52595613AEF6.jpeg
EB455865-846C-41BE-A070-399BE5F27464.jpeg
D470CBE4-FA33-4441-BE82-62B4052C8B06.jpeg
View attachment trim.A58E4796-C7A5-443F-9739-8583FF575AD9.MOV

Welcome to Ketchikan, Alaska. I'm here to put on a crosscut saw and axe training this week. Arrived at the hotel this evening only to find they had my reservation but didn't have a room! Slight panic moment but I was fortunately able to find lodging at the Cape Fox Lodge instead (amazing since it's the height of tourist season). A couple photos from the airport ferry and my hotel room. IMG_20220627_173425_HDR.jpg IMG_20220627_185920_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Guys across the street got my attention today. Taking down a perfectly live pondo. Most likely a bonus tree. Was not all that close to the lines compared to others in that ROW.
I heard the saw. Heard it bind. Heard him shouting in Spanish. More wedges. No pull rope on the log he was tipping. I expect it wont be long before more injury or death here. Sending these less experienced crews out here. Since trees pay out on DBH. That was at least a 36 dbh moneymaker. More like 40 +
Climber was really not happy his saw got stuck. :lol:
Oh Dios Mio
20220627_154418.jpg
Chipper and truck were parked out on the street. So you knowthey chiped the brash. Maybe Mañana. :/:
Good luck with that. :lol:

Back