How'd it go today?

90 octane. Aside from occasional premix, it's all I've used in my saws, so I can't say the extra octane is better or worse.

I have some of that. My neighbor periodically goes up to that station and takes some of my gas cans up there. I never knew what octane it was though. I’ve run corn free, premix, and 89 octane E10. Never really noticed anything different.

I won't run corn gas in any of my saws. That's why I keep some premix on hand, in case I run out of good gas. I can't say corn gas has *given me problems in exclusive use, but I've had three machines die shortly after switching to corn free. Coincidence? Maybe, and I haven't done a postmortem to see what was going on, but the timing was very suspicious.

*My first poulanpro which I ran corn gas in could be balky to start after sitting a long time, but not a huge problem, and it ran fine after burning through the fuel in the tank.

Stephen,

Would you sell or keep your 1250?
And that, my friend, is the question of the day. I could also easily finish my career out with my 1250. The 250 is a tad lighter and easier on my trucks. My 1250 I can run detached from the truck and shoot into my dump trailers. Can I do the same with the 250? Both have CAT motors basically. The 250 is a tad more HP at 116 vs 100.
Newer chipper.
1250 is paid for though.
If anyone here is interested in the 250, I could probably arrange something.
Still need to go look at it as it has sat parked for over a year. And get the hours on it.

Stephen, the 250 will definitely chip more than the Vermeer. Also the Vermeer has a LOT more tongue weight, so the Bandit will be easier to tow. The extra tongue weight may help with chipping unattached to a truck, though. The Bandit would probably jump around a bit more with big limbs.

Really nice weather today. Cool and breezy. I made a sheath for a machete I found a couple years ago. I had it in cardboard cause I didn't really use it, but the boss carried it last week, and kept sticking it in the ground. I'm hoping the sheath will get him to stop doing that.

IMG_20220618_112445427_HDR.jpg

I also ground some felling wedges and reprofiled a Chinese splitting wedge that was still giving me problems.

Took my 2 boys to the woods to follow a stream. Off trail is always better. The Chinese lantern fly is everywhere now it seems. Saw 2 last year and 20,000 this year. Hoping it doesn’t jack up our agriculture or trees too badly.

Attachments

• 39767B52-4A71-45F6-BB61-960DF138AD11.jpeg
    39767B52-4A71-45F6-BB61-960DF138AD11.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 6
  • EF5A04AB-52F8-47AA-926F-909F2DAAA67A.jpeg
    EF5A04AB-52F8-47AA-926F-909F2DAAA67A.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 8
  • 5C90AF51-4E4B-4F08-8E48-8962AB89E8EF.jpeg
    5C90AF51-4E4B-4F08-8E48-8962AB89E8EF.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 9
  • 2C3287D6-02EF-4426-B995-D0D17C19AB3D.jpeg
    2C3287D6-02EF-4426-B995-D0D17C19AB3D.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 9
  • 1C054FA0-230F-4C37-9FE3-76780C88C2A2.jpeg
    1C054FA0-230F-4C37-9FE3-76780C88C2A2.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 8
Looks like a fun time Mike. I saw my first lanternfly coming from your place last year. It was on the sidewalk at tacobell, and I squished it. Before summer was over, I'd seen thousands.

The diesel took its maiden voyage towing to the range and then the dump. Got rid of the traitor fuel tank. Had words with a rude guy at the dump. Promptly had a spider crawl into my ear and hitched a ride there till I got home. Then got nagged at how long it took me to run all my errands before I could extract the eight legged thunder beast from my ear. Ever hear a spider vibrate ? Pretty much like a heart beat in my ear cause it felt cornered till I got hold of it with tweezers.
So anyway. The truck looks like its ready to try the chipper next. So there is that

Last edited:
I played mechanic today as well, no spiders in my ear, though. F350 needed wheel bearings. The front hubs and front brake discs are all one piece. My brakes worked great but my discs were rusted and pitted from the truck sitting for 6 years. So obviously instead of replacing bearings in the old hubs, it made sense to buy new hubs/brake discs.

Tackled it first thing this morning. Went through 3 shirts before I finished, heat was brutal today. I broke one of my brake calipers trying to pry the pistons back to make room for the new pads. Parts store had a replacement for $110. Got it all buttoned up by 3pm and just beat the rain. Ready to go to work again Monday.

Went to wegmans for my "premium" grocery trip(sushi for breakfast. Yay!), and took a long cut home to stop by aldi to get the granola bars I forgot, and buy the rest of the coffee water they had on sale. On my way home, I passed the property that introduced me to dawn redwoods. and they cut down all the trees D^: It was a beautiful group of trees that overhung the driveway, and they're all gone; five trees going by memory. If it were possible to move them, I'd have taken every tree. Why do people do stupid shit? Maybe wants to do something dumb like put solar panels on the roof...

Back