How'd it go today?

Interesting tales from the logging camps Justin.

I just put the gloves and boots next to the wood burner overnight, nice and toasty next day.

Tends to beat the crap out of leather boots, drying them like that.
The custom made Wescos that I used to wear and sadly can't get any more, cost a lot, so I try to take real good care of them.

I never used heat to dry my boots or gear. A simple fan blowing directly on it overnight always had them bone dry by morning.

I just grease them up regularly. When the leather is dry grease it up. Seems convenient/easy when there's a fire going anyways. Now I don't get wet though, I don't miss it that's for sure.

Whooped. Pounded out a pine tree extraction from a good flowing creek. 3' dia at one end all water logged. Portable winch on a 5:1 and we could sometimes get up to about 6 feet at a time. blocks set up in a 150' ponderosa. Had to move the set up to three different trees. Went and took out some fallen alders as well. The pine log was pushing 90 feet. Never got smaller than 24 inches. Then all the the hangers by the house it had made. Going to stop by there tomorrow to put more on the fire. Small area and the wood is friggen nutz heavy. Steeped in creek water.
Felt really odd and not very safe knee deep and bare foot cutting log with an 066 most the day :|:

Well today started off a bit chilly but I was well over halfway done with a big silver maple before lunch. After lunch my back issues became an issue and my right foot went numb again. All I can figure is I reirratated something causing swelling to constrict a nerve. Still finished the job to retain my position as the official bad ass in the company but I hurt more every time. I will add that I did this with a special blister pattern I have on my hands from the Fids and Fibers course this weekend. 30 hours in two days splicing rope. To those guys that do it daily, my hat is off to you. Even with the pain, this class was worth every penny.

Yeah, back issues are no joke. Something that can stop the most beast mode dude in the world right in their tracks!

Only have one job scheduled this week. Remove two grand oaks; one in the side yard behind an ancient wooden fence and one in the back yard up against the house. We got the first one down to a short-ish trunk yesterday. Plan is to get most of the low spreading limbs off of the second tree today and then finish with a crane tomorrow. Thursday is for final cleanup and removal of the big wood and stump grinding.

Tweaked my good shoulder...in the front, no obvious tear but apparently I have a very thick tendon and a fat Bursa...physio and Kunzea oil and thera band exercises are settling it down...then filling mulch bags my back went pop...a day on the couch and a hot water bottle did wonders...should be back to work next week.
Husband's daughter is visiting and she is an awesome cook :)

Going to Agfest today...the mother of all field days, acres and acres of outdoor stuff from massive ag machines to the country women's association, and somewhere in between is stihl and husky and a battery saw for just that special good show price....maybe. if not some chains and files for sure :)

Sounds like a fun day, Fi.

We are planting some 15000 trees to make up for all the ones we killed.

Gottta get that Karka in balance.

Back