How'd it go today?

If you are planting forest on agricultural land, the are machines that will allow you to sit down and plant a LOT of trees per day.

We walk.
Carrying a shoulder bag of plants and planting them with a transplant spade.
With stumps and other stuff from the previous tress, that is the best way to do it.
We plant 800-1000 a day per man.
Hard, difficult work.
It usually takes a lot longer to teach an apprentice to plant than it does to make them into good fallers.

Our new one hit the 800 mark after 5 days.
I've never had one do that before.
Usually takes about 3 weeks.

Maybe I should give him that lanyard, as a price.

95% usually.
Lose more than that and unless there is a specific reason like the extreme drought last year or an insect infestation, we'll have to replant.

I'm proud to say, that with the drought last summer, which was the worst ever recorded, we only lost about 15%.
We got a lot of positive feed back from the foresters we planted for on account of that.

800 trees in one day, whew!
I checked out both stihl and husky battery saw...at the moment I'm leaning towards the husky...there is a 'come and try it' day on Tuesday, they even said bring your regular stihl saws and do some comparisons, so I'll bring the 150 and the 462 to run against their equivalents...be fun to run some saws if nothing else.

Tiny things, Fi.
They are only 3 years old.

I'll be looking forwards to your thoughts on how those saws stack up against each other.

Don't forget to mention to the Husky folks, that Stihl has the 500i out now, and that you know a pro logger, who thinks it is the cat's ass and a half:D

I did a little bit of planting one spring vs being laid off for breakup. I really only did it because we got to ride in a chopper. But the quota was only 400trees per day. I could plug that in in no time. I used to kick back and enjoy the view, take a leisurely lunch, nap. Finally my foreman bugged me, 'ya know it's more like a minimum than a quota'. Lol. So then I'd do a couple hundred extra just to be ahead of the curve.

I'm off to work shortly. 12hr graveyard. I've been working seven days a week for awhile now, trying to make bank. I've been bleeding off the funds pretty severely the last year. Went almost a full year now with no tenants in my other home so paying for two homes, utilities taxes and everything. In the end we've decided to not sell either home and have rented my other place out again finally starting on the fifteenth, after dumping about 30g into improvements on it. Well, water system, new electrical service and deck were the big ticket items. Regardless the last year has been a bit of a financial shit kicking for me. But still keeping my head above water. And in a good spot investment/asset wise. Just deciding to play the long game still instead of 'selling out'.

Thought I'd update a bit as I figured Mick would be happy to know I'm still firmly mortgaged. Firmly motivated to keep working. Lol.

Twenty to thirty years ago, I planted thousands of Loblolly pines on the I-275 right-of-way north of Tampa, Florida. It was mitigation for billboard clearing that we were doing at the time. These were 1" to 2" caliper trees in 7-gallon pots. I dug the planting holes using a gas auger with a 36" diameter bit. It's been fun watching them grow up over the years. They're now 50' to 60' feet tall.

Planting trees is a good piece of work to have in one's portfolio, should the gods ever decide to keep score :).

If that's true, I'm pretty confident I'll measure out on the positive side of the ledger. More than 25 years of getting more than half a million trees a year in the ground per year??? Yeah, I'll win should the gods start counting ;).

Stig does too, of course. As we all know, the Norse gods are sticklers for keeping accurate count :D.

It's been busy around our house lately. My daughter, Francesca, just graduated with a double major in Criminology and Psychology. My son, Matthew, is graduating this weekend with a pre-law degree. He's been accepted at 3 different law schools; two of them with full scholarships. And my daughter, Julie, has been accepted into the PhD program at USF. She'll be the first doctor in our family! Oh, and three of my other daughters are here visiting from out of state for the week.

Rented a lift and got 2 maples down today, over a house and garage. Gonna saw some lean in a big cottonwood tomorrow to ensure that it fits and will go, and then rent a mini ex with a thumb to load a dump trailer to do clean up. Pics to follow at some point, busy weekend for sure.

Did my first 5/8" rod drilling (11/16" bit) with an extension. Used some canola oil lube. 2x 36". Used Preformed Wedge-grips. So simple, but, you have to have the right size...ooops. On order.

Did a bunch of wobbbbly limb walking to end-weight reduce/ lateral reduce cedar limbs from over a house.

Subcontract grinder destroyed a stump with his 60 hp. Went and had dinner with him after. Good guy.

Mowed and cleaned up around the yard.

Planning on some earth moving/ filling/ terracing for my slope.

Planning on making cedar raised-bed garden boxes with D tomorrow/ Saturday and planting more seeds. Better late than never. I have the cedar, soil, seeds, and screws, so I'm set.

Moved some of Georgie Girls things in .Got the last of the stumps muddied out .Got the old Oliver crawler running like a top .The old duffer will still spin the tracks in second gear with dirt rolling over the top of the blade going up hill .
Broke out the Stihl Br 400 to blow the last of the leaves out of the flower beds .100 foot oak trees equate to leaves measured in tonnage .Out in the open the Toro zero turn grinds them to dust .Time to change the mulching blades to high lift grass blades .
Changed oil on the Ranger .I'll do her Envoy as soon as it gets light out .----Retired my butt,I've always got something to do .

Back