How'd it go today?

Do you put those tassel things on?
First thing I do with new logger/ lineman boots is shit can those.
What are they for?

Those tassels are a false tongue which protects the real tongue making the boot last longer, especially if you weld with them :D.

The tassels are as Kyle mentioned a tongue protector. They protect the tongue from not just external things like welding but from the laces themselves. Foolish IMO to get rid of on a boot that can be resoled. They also afford more protection(from impact or otherwise) on that part of the boot than if they weren't there.

No peets dryer here Cory. I'd thought of getting one but always used fires to dry my stuff. When on the coast the drying room shack had a stove/fire to dry everything. Rarely have I had soaked boots and not had a fire to dry them by but it has happened. Nowadays at the mill there is zero concern over weather but it's a very dry environment. I grease my boots just to moisten the leather.

Good call on greasing the boots, extends life hugely afaik.

I couldnt get by without my boot dryer, use it every night year round.

Drying shack? Never seen one but I like it.

Drying shack? Never seen one but I like it.

At all the camps I worked at there was a drying shack, it was a building usually with one or more woodstoves were we all hung our gear/boots to dry. Some of the bigger camps I was at they were huge. Placement of ones gear within the shack was an ongoing source of controversy. Saw fights almost break out over it multiple times. Some super senior guys were real dicks about their spots. Would,toss your stuff in a crumpled heap on the floor if you took their 'spot'.

Being dry for atleast the ride to the block in the morning was a big thing. You'd undress in the dry room hanging all your gear and then check it later around dinner to adjust, turn, flip whatever. And then maybe once again right before bed. It was kind of funny really, because somedays you'd be soaked within. Ten minutes of starting work. Lol.

Intereesting stuff. Nothing better than wood stove heat after a wet or cold day at work.

I don't use one everyday, but i consider a boot dryer important enough to carry one on the rig. If you get wet boots ever, you need one. I remember the first time i plugged mine in i thought it was broken because i didn't hear a fan.... lol I'm dumb.

I think they should run a bit hotter and have a fan to boost. Overnight does a good drying, but it takes 2-3 days to get a thorough drying and smell elimination. Could be faster with a fan. A computer fan should be enough.

It is.
I like my Peet dryer. I have the glove dryer too, works well but not fast by any means, over night dry for sure.

Enjoying my time off from work at the moment. Got a easy day tomorrow one small job in the afternoon and that's about it then a lay day on Tuesday doing paperwork for my Tafe assignment. I'll set up a thread documenting my journey doing the diploma when I get a chance.

Nice boots , Justin.
I dry my boots and work clothes in a closet, that I made for the purpose.
Put a radiator in there, that is set at 30 degrees celcius.
Cut circular vents in the bottom of the door and a 10" hose that leads from the top up to the grest outdoors.
So there is a constant airflow and the temperature never gets too hot for drying leather.

The radiator is hooked up to the central heating system, getting heat from the wood burning furnace, so it costs peanuts to run.

Back