How'd it go today?

Nice.

Could possibly the radiator on that welder. I’d check the fan clutch first though. Plenty of other things as well.

Been on a residential logging job all week. Boss gave a price to which he will get paid for the removals, homeowner wants to offset his cost by the sale of the logs, log buyer doesn’t care ( his price is dependent on how we take it down). Trying to make everyone happy is a bit stressful when targets are everywhere. I’ve been getting used to bracing for impact on rigging 12 footers down. Getting practice since the bucket could only be used for 5 of the 16. Didn’t know how many 100+ footers we had in my area. The three I have left are in the back yard and if my felling is on, are droppable. I’ll be tying cow hitches in my sleep tonight I’m sure

Edit. By target rich, I mean house, lamp posts, primaries, service lines, septic tanks, and leach field. I didn’t know trees could grow with all that shit around

Ha! A lotta times it seems like that's where the biggest ones are!!!

I knew I was in for a rough week when two new 3/4” bull ropes were in my truck Monday morning. I’m usually the one who hands them out. Also noticed a couple extra oversized blocks. My 461 is getting broke in as well:). To bad I couldn’t get a 462 state side yet. Really want to see if Stig is right on how great they are

A crane would’ve been nice. 35-40 tonner. 60 foot radius max on all the log pics.

Aaaaand the plot thickens. Picked the machine up this am, didn't have time to really go over it while i was there plus the main guy wasn't there to answer questions. Get it on the job, and didn't need it till after lunch where i just had to fire it up for a bit to run a grinder for a few min. The mechanic guy mentioned the rpms on the phone last night but i didn't think anything of it because it's been running perfectly for me, and he shouldn't be anywhere near that flushing the radiator and putting on a new water pump. So it comes time for me to use it for a few min, so i fire it up and go work. I notice that the grinder is running line it's on crack, so i go over to the machine and it's running wayyyyyyy too fast.

Shut it off, go grab the multimeter (how you set the rpms), and I'm getting 180 volts at the plug, where it should be 117 tops. Shut it off back everything down, fire up, and get it set right again. Then i leave it idle for a bit. I notice that the rpms are slowly creeping upwards again, and so i shut it off before something blows up. Now i gotta figure out wtf this dipshit did to it, and what he frigged up by running the rpms so damn high.... the first and last time i take something to someone that i don't know personally. I'm so pissed I had to talk myself out of committing acts that would make national news for the rest of the day. I did notice fresh tool marks on the carb, but I'm not sure that's my problem. Talked to my buddy that rebuilt it today, and I'm gonna call stumpfs (one of the best shops in the country for these machines) first thing tomorrow.

I've researched this overheat issue some more, and i got some more ideas on it. The radiator is definitely putting out more heat since the dude flushed it, so that's good. There's no fan clutch, just on all the time, and it's like a wind tunnel. The manual says that it will boil over in an overheat situation, and when i used an infrared temp gun on the head it was dramatically less than the Murphy gauge. I know the Murphy gauge is actually in the water vs the temp of the head, but maybe the gauge is off and/or it's set too low. All things i need to look into more. I'm still thinking a radiator swap is cheap (relatively) insurance, so i might start with that and test the other stuff. Maybe pull the gauge and set it in boiling water on the stove to make sure it's reading right.

As far as me restoring the radiator as a winter project, I'm more than comfortable with my solder abilities to make it as good as new. These are old machines, and they still make aftermarket parts for them, but fixing it myself i can control exactly how it's done. I plan on buying several more as fixer uppers, so having a stash of parts would be a wonderful thing. I'm pretty much a hoarder, but when running 50 year old equipment everyday for a living that's probably a good thing. These old machines weld better than the new ones due to a laundry list of reasons, such as having a pure dc exciter, pure copper windings, low rpms, and no computers to mess with so they can be repaired with standard tools in the field.

Crane removal of two oaks today. One totally decaying. Hung off the hook and out of another tree for different sections of that one. Too tired; will try to get photos up tomorrows

Best i can tell is that he's accidentally bumped the governor linkage enough to get it to turn on the carb shaft. So when the governer attempted to idle up to the idler stop, it wouldn't stop, but slightly go past, acting as a rachet basically, so every time it would go a bit more each time. It's a bit late to fire it up and set it tight again to test my theory, but I'll do it tomorrow morning. Since i still had correct readings for my voltages, I'm hoping it didn't ruin the armatures. So hopefully everything will be ok lol. Sorry the idea of a mechanic tasked with a simple task irreparably damaging the thing that pays the bills set me off. I'm not out of the woods yet tho...

If the manaual says it'll boil,over in a overheat and it's not bit the Murphy switch is cuttimgmoit I'd definetly be checking that switch out. Or just replacing it.

Lol Justin, auto correct is possibly one of mankind's worst inventions. Yeah i think i just need to calibrate it, I'm sure the owners manual probably said to do that, but who reads those anyways? Hahahahahahahaha

Yesterday's job was a bit interesting. Homeowner's property abutted the golf course. Behind the back fence, there were 3 willows, a mulberry, and a couple of small dead trees. She obtained permission from the golf course to remove the trees as a vista pruning arrangement on her dime. We had to use a cordless grinder to cut the metal fence panel down (to be re-welded back up at the end of the job). So after making quick work (1 hour) of a declining 30' ash in the front -- climbed, pieced out, dropped, chipped -- we headed out back to the golf course rough. Lots of distance to the street made this a real "drag"," but the winch was able to take things out in bundles, too. Full load of chips, full day, full pocket!

Today was interesting, too -- a total property makeover. A 50-something year old man's parents (in their late 70s, early 80s) hired us to clean up his property, which was given to him by them. He had let it get badly neglected to the point where so many volunteer trees, bushes, and vines had overgrown the front of the house, rendering the front door unusable! We attacked all that mess, treated it with Tordon, and took down a crispy 30' ash in the front, as well as trimming up a red bud out front. More volunteers on the sides, more vines. In back was a nice 40' cedar which we were able to drop between the house and the neighbor's fence -- it yielded a nice cedar log keeper. Finally, roofline clearance of a big red oak in the middle of the back yard, as well as crown raising and lower dead wood. Full load of chips, off to dump by 12:30. Afternoon job was a series of 3 river birch reductions (9 main leaders) and crown raising -- done at 5.

Back