How'd it go today?

Slow House

I thought the same, but understandable given my own situation. On my part, been busy, busy. We've been humping it -- hitting 3-4 jobs a day typically. We've had to re-expand our Home Advisor service radius to bring in more work, as last month was a bit thin for comfort's sake. Now we're back to being 2 weeks out for scheduling, but are having to drive 30 miles to some jobs (usually 2-3 together). It's been a lot of pruning work and utility roof line clearances, so nothing spectacular worth sharing stories or photos of. Also trying to make some headway on bucking some of our log pile for firewood. And enhancing our web site to try to net us more direct jobs as we head toward winter.

Did a quick pruning job, chip on site. Knocked down two smallish dead madrones, smallish, as trees on site are 150'+.

D has an ear infection.

:( it's terrible when kids are sick...

And Jim, i bet those sausages are better than anything you could ever buy too! I wish i knew how to cook better...

Cut some big crispy dead leaders out of an old oak, too many leaning over the new mountain bike track at the big private school. Deadest tree I've ever been in.
Fire had gone through some time in the distant past, probably why they were dead.
Pics are on my phone and I've never been able to upload from my phone.

I sold my 99f550 plow truck yesterday. The end of an era. Bye bye 7.3. It was a good truck for me but getting rusty and up there in the miles. 351,000km which is 210-220,000m I think? A young feller drove 4.5hrs to buy it and texted me he made it home with it a-ok.

I am really looking forward to not plowing this winter. After a decade plus of doing it with zero time off from it all winter. Constantly tied to the weather and up at 1:30-2:00am to start.

I still have a 95 f350 with a western v plow that I'll keep as my winter beater and personal plowing beast.

I don't like being up before the sun.

Don't mind working past too dark to see. Electricity solves that.

Enjoy that freedom to get away time to time.

Well. All that said tonight I work from 11pm to 11am Saturday lol. Usually it's 12-12 but they bumped it up an hour for tonight for some reason. But, it's scheduled and then Sunday I work the reverse noon to midnight. But if I choose to those are the only two days a week I have to work until,October 12th and then I have to put in five regular eight hour shifts as well as the weekends for the next four weeks and on it goes.

What I hated about the plowing was the unknown and the checking. If there was any chance of snow I'd still have to get up and check and then there could be a bit of snow at my place but drive into town and nothing. Or any combination of 'weather'. I made decent money plowing, but I won't miss the lifestyle of being tied to the weather all winter.

Sometimes I forget how young you are Squish, considering the different lives you’ve led.

Assuming the factory/sawmill is a temporary thing, professionally what would you really like to do?

I don't feel it'll be temporary. My farm hasn't sold yet which is the missing link to my puzzle so far. I see myself working one seven day week out of four and then three two day weeks for the next 22 years or so. Building some decent pension and enjoying a decent lifestyle. Travelling, concerts, festivals, motorcycling events, etc, etc. I've had three days off this week and the next two weeks in a row I'll have five days off unless I take some OT shifts for just working regular eights which if I do take any regular shifts between now and oct12 they are straight OT. Meaning I could work three days next week and that one extra days is straight OT. As well as my Sundays are always OT.

It gets kind of convoluted to follow but my new job/posting is pretty sweet really. Possibly I'll move up in the lumber company? I've definitely introduced myself as someone who is very capable and reliable. The numbers/performance I described in previous posts, well let's just say I haven't let up and am still unmatched in consistency and production. Heh, toot your own horn right? Because no one else is going to do it for you. Numbers don't lie. To me the production numbers are like a scoreboard, there's no fudging or denying where anyone stands.

I don't see myself going back to school or starting another business again. I'm still on the simplification path. Less things, no debt, more experiences.

Well I am concerned no one has bought my farm. If that helps?

Looks like I could be sitting on both places through the winter. Winter sales are rare it seems.

I am finding work to be a cakewalk still. Even the weekend 12's that everyone whines about. Pffft. I could do it standing on my head honestly. Last week I got my 'number' for the ppe vending machine. Seriously. A big vending machine that you just select the numbers and it spits it out like a candy bar. Lol. Boots and the clothing on my back are the only things I'm responsible for. And I still find working with zero personal responsibility to be very relaxing, almost like a meditation for me. I've been enjoying work so much is why I've been taking so many extra shifts lately too. I just worked 120hrs in the last two weeks.

I also enjoy the banter/comraderie of the crew and the 'boys'. I've been invited for a couple tailgate beers after shifts and whatnot and it's nice for me the social aspect. I'm a bit of a character in real life. Believe it or not. :D

I’d like a few beers after work with some guys from work.
I worked in an office with a half dozen guys who played for the same football team.

That does sound like fun.

We end up drinking and grilling out quite often after work on the pipeline. Like very very frequently :/:

Since selling my tree company I've missed that. I was a Friday afternoon beers after work kinda boss.

Don't want to overdo it but it's nice to have a couple cold ones with the crew. Now grilling too, that's taking it to a whole new level. Lol.

It gets kind of convoluted to follow but my new job/posting is pretty sweet really. Possibly I'll move up in the lumber company? I've definitely introduced myself as someone who is very capable and reliable. The numbers/performance I described in previous posts, well let's just say I haven't let up and am still unmatched in consistency and production. Heh, toot your own horn right? Because no one else is going to do it for you. Numbers don't lie. To me the production numbers are like a scoreboard, there's no fudging or denying where anyone stands.
Different strokes for different folks. No disrespect to you and your life choices, but I'm with August in that I could never work at a factory or punch a clock -- just doesn't suit my personality and saw my dad eaten up by factory work and double shifts and never saw him much growing up. I wouldn't want to repeat that cycle for the sake of my young children. I also wouldn't want the stress of running my own business, so salaried & profit sharing scenarios have suited me best in life.

What I hated about the plowing was the unknown and the checking.

+100. Pushing snow is fun, all the rest of it is murder. Glad I don't do it anymore.

I see myself working one seven day week out of four and then three two day weeks for the next 22 years or so

That sounds potentially awesome. Sounds like a bunch of free time available. You'll have to fill it with something though.

But anyway, one thing you mentioned previously on this topic was hating the "never-ending To Do list" when you own a biz. Lordy aint that the truth. It never comes even close to ending even if you work hard smart and efficient. That gets old after forever.

I'm still on the simplification path. Less things, no debt, more experiences.

That is currently a huge thing with a lot of folks.

And I still find working with zero personal responsibility to be very relaxing, almost like a meditation for me.... I just worked 120hrs in the last two weeks.

That is an interesting concept, the meditative quality.

And let's be honest, 120 hrs in 2 weeks aint barely a fart in the wind for us still-self-employed folks ;)

Ha ha. True. About the hours.

I've been employed, self employed, owner, lease holder etc, etc, etc. This is where I'm at right now. I've enjoyed all my life's experiences to this point so far and plan to continue to do so.

GP no disrespect to you. But you come across as having all angles of everything figured out. Must be a nice way to feel? But then again I wonder half time you post who you even really are? To each their own brother or sister orrrr? We are all just people doing our own thing. And when you start a sentence or paragraph with 'no disrespect'. It's usually followed by something disrespectful. ;).

You might surprise yourself what you're capable of doing. But if you're happy where you're at. I'm happy for you. I wasn't so I made changes. 'For the sake of your children' you wouldn't want to do what I do. Nice. Don't worry for my child though. I only have one and I see more of her now then I did when I was a tree business owner. As a teenager though she's at that point where she's starting to spread her own wings. Broader horizons.

120 hours in two weeks? WTF did you do the second week?

Had a good day for my last Friday off work. Finished up the cemetery job this morning and then went and removed nine cherries along a property line. Everything leaning one way went, the other way stays. Both parties were happy. Have another section to do in the spring. The reason we worked this Friday is there is a fundraiser walk/run tomorrow for Jason’s son. I’ll be there before sun up till well after dark. Chance was not supposed to live upon birth and he’s seven now. The kid always makes me smile. He’s possibly the only person in the world that is happy every time he sees me. Anyhow, I need to get some sleep. I don’t run, but tomorrow I’m running with a Thor helmet and hammer

Justin, as I said -- it's different for different people. I do respect to you for reinventing yourself and finding a new path that makes you happy -- I was just saying I know for me I could never direct my life in that way. Compare/contrast. I'm in the same age bracket and have channeled my life choices in a way that suit my personality and make me happy. I don't have everything figured out, but I do have my life arranged in a way that appeals to my midwestern sensibilities (stable, dependable, predictable, simple). And you'll get to know me by reading my writing on an ongoing basis. Some personality types are brash & gregarious in person, others are quiet spoken and you can get to know them by firsthand observation and reading their letters. I'm more the latter type -- so keep reading and you'll get to know me as we go along!

As for today, did a freebie for some friends selling their house. The buyer had stipulated that the trees be trimmed before sale, so me & our 2nd climber rolled out. I took on 2 ashes out front (crown raising, lower deadwood, tipping back from the house), while he climbed a large American elm out back. Chipped & cleaned up by 2:30. Dumped at a local farm, then took the chip truck to the tire shop to get a tire plugged (picked up a screw a week ago). Ready for the weekend, getting into my kind of weather!

gosh that sounds fun...I spent all day on my two old computers trying to get things to work that aren't supported any more...looks like I'm cooked on several of my favorite softwares and browsers...now to figure out my next move...

Been working on building some covered parking for my trucks this week. Just picking away an hour or two every day after work. Now that I got all the posts set it's going faster.

Attachments

• IMG_0200 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_0200 (Custom).JPG
    355.6 KB · Views: 31
Back