How'd it go today?

...wish I could find someone to do some work, safely, and effectively.
Likewise, we would love to find some diligent, trustworthy, thorough rakers who could follow us on jobs. It'd save us about 2 hours a day, maybe increase our ability to knock out work by 30%.

... and without excess baggage.

One thing or the other.

Tell you what, this fall out from the drug companies, et al, making bank on over-prescribed opiates sure is costing America a lot.

Meth is terrible, too, but not funded by big Pharma.

Super high-power pot being so readily available isn't helping anything either.

Just a heads up - I moved my latest Elders thread cuz it did its job and I'm tired of seeing it. I imagine I'll resurrect it eventually.

ha, got that right!

I think I can find a place to get extractions done for less than $268 per tooth...their plan came to nearly 8k with dentures:big-no:

See this is what really chapped my ass about dentistry. 8k for something the cost maybe $150 bucks to make with high end porcelain teeth. If you were closer I could hook you up with a guy who could do the extractions for $180 per tooth. and I think I would find a new dentist

I called a couple other places today...income driven pricing...I'll have my overpriced pictures forwarded by email...

Jim, I don't have a passport and don't plan on getting one...

Question for the mechanics here... the welding machine is overheating... new water pump, motor is freshly rebuilt, completely flushed block and radiator, a new thermostat overheats it till the Murphy switch kills it, without a thermostat it runs at about 180 on high idle with no load, and slowly climbs as you work it. Even without a thermostat if you run some huge rods it will kill it after a bit. Since its such a badass machine, you don't overheat it till you damn near max it out for awhile, but it's not right and since i feed the family with it i need it to be perfect. Both the radiator and and block flushed clean, but I'm not really feeling a bunch of heat from the cooling fan blowing over the radiator. So I'm thinking it's the radiator, and should i just buy a new one for about 300? Or is there some easy way to bring them back? Or just get a new one, and repair the old one for a backup? Jim, help a brother out plz :D. I'm gonna try to run it tomorrow and see what temperature differential i get across the radiator, but I'll afraid that the radiator has build up too the point that it doesn't cool the water. The shop i dropped it off at to flush it thinks i need a new radiator, but that was after they recommended a new water pump and did that. I don't think he's trying to screw me, i think he honestly can't solve the issue atm....

You dont want a big differential from the top to the bottom.

The water is supposed to move quickly through, shed a little heat and go back for some more.

The water coming out of a plugged radiator will be cool, but the water trying to get into the radiator will be too hot. You start to build a surplus....sometimes slowly.

We used to get worried if we saw much more than 10 degrees. 5 to 7 was good.

What motor? What machine? Copper radiator?

Any good shop should be able to take the tanks off and rod her out.

If its old, thin or terribly plugged sometimes the rod tears them up. Then you owe some labor and still need new parts!

Find out what your differential is first. Check your pulleys and belts too.

As far as some magic bullet....I have not found one. The additives and flushes and such dont seem to do much.

Continental f163, on an sa 200 redface. They were to the pull apart and rod it, but he advised to just slap a new radiator on it because it would be approaching the cost of it just to rod it. How hard is it to rod it? May just bite the bullet today and get a radiator, then see if i can save the old one for future use.

yearly physical w/new doc today...had to put the pooh-pooh on a lot of "tests"...I told her she could test for what ailed me, but not what didn't, and I wasn't ailing...she's considering taking me off blood thinners, said she's gonna study on it some more & let me know...

Well, that’s good news Fid (I think)

Two days into a three day job, garden clearance, pops and pines, so far so good, if we knock it on the head tomorrow on time it’ll make September from a “Meh” sort of month to a “yessireebob” sort of month.

Which will be nice.

Continental f163, on an sa 200 redface. They were to the pull apart and rod it, but he advised to just slap a new radiator on it because it would be approaching the cost of it just to rod it. How hard is it to rod it? May just bite the bullet today and get a radiator, then see if i can save the old one for future use.

What I have discovered with saving used parts (including saw chains, etc) is that if the part is bad enough to take off and replace with a new one then it's bad enough that I will never use it again. IMO do yourself a favor and scrap the old one now instead of letting it clutter up your mind and property.

Ha. Two different takes. I used to keep everything. And I mean everything. I have changed my mentality now though and I'm de-cluttering my life. I've gotten rid of stuff I've been packing around for nearly three decades recently. The more 'stuff' I get rid of the better I feel it seems. Everyone is different though!

We took down a rather large Laurel oak today that had grown up underneath the primaries. It was a back yard tree, right on the property line between two houses. We've had the job scheduled for about 6 weeks while waiting for Davey to clear the lines for us. They showed up at 8:30 this morning with 3 trucks, 8 guys, and a mini lift. One guy spent about an hour aloft and removed half a dozen limbs. When he came down I asked if that was all he was going to do. There were still about 4 or 5 vertical leads within 3 feet of the wires and about 20 feet above. He said he was done and they proceeded to pack up their stuff. No biggie, I can do it but I kind of expected a little more than 2 handfuls of brush on the ground. Anyway, we had all the brush down and chipped by lunchtime. Dumped the mulch at a nearby ChipDrop site and loaded the logs. Customer was thrilled; he said he's been trying to get that tree removed since last November. Six other companies bid on it but he didn't want a bucket truck to ruin his yard (it was very soft). The Nifty Lift rules!!!

Question for the mechanics here... the welding machine is overheating... new water pump, motor is freshly rebuilt, completely flushed block and radiator, a new thermostat overheats it till the Murphy switch kills it, without a thermostat it runs at about 180 on high idle with no load, and slowly climbs as you work it. Even without a thermostat if you run some huge rods it will kill it after a bit. Since its such a badass machine, you don't overheat it till you damn near max it out for awhile, but it's not right and since i feed the family with it i need it to be perfect. Both the radiator and and block flushed clean, but I'm not really feeling a bunch of heat from the cooling fan blowing over the radiator. So I'm thinking it's the radiator, and should i just buy a new one for about 300? Or is there some easy way to bring them back? Or just get a new one, and repair the old one for a backup? Jim, help a brother out plz :D. I'm gonna try to run it tomorrow and see what temperature differential i get across the radiator, but I'll afraid that the radiator has build up too the point that it doesn't cool the water. The shop i dropped it off at to flush it thinks i need a new radiator, but that was after they recommended a new water pump and did that. I don't think he's trying to screw me, i think he honestly can't solve the issue atm....

Fan clutch?

If the fan is working (check here ^ ) and there doesn't feel like muck air coming thru I am inclined to say the fins are all puckered with BS blow'er out and see, cheap fix.

What I have discovered with saving used parts (including saw chains, etc) is that if the part is bad enough to take off and replace with a new one then it's bad enough that I will never use it again. IMO do yourself a favor and scrap the old one now instead of letting it clutter up your mind and property.

100% agree. I had an entire shed full of stuff that was perfectly good but ultimately was never going to be used. Got rid of 98% of it. Decluttering is da bomb

Brian I ordered a boat load of filters from Fleet Filter today, thx for the reco

Back