hinge pics

I just watched it... That video is in Stig's post several back and it's simply got the short title YouTube. Post number 489. Go click on that link and you'll see that video of the pine he's talking about.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sure got quiet all of a sudden.
I had to go out and put another tree on the ground:

Once again my trees are on the ground while you continue your name-calling and ugliness. That's all you got... same as Burnham.. I just wanted to talk about the amount of fiber pull in the sizwheel. Your criticisms are uninformed to the absurd. The childish behavior on this forum is shameful.

Now post up the OTHER vid Stig... you had two.. the other one shows those mediocre skills .. common buddy.. you got the mouth, now lets see the action!

I just watched it... That video is in Stig's post several back and it's simply got the short title YouTube. Post number 489. Go click on that link and you'll see that video of the pine he's talking about.

For some reason I couldn't get it to upload from Youtube.
Also took me about forever to find the damned thing.
My stone age brain doesn't work well with stuff like that.

Daniel, if the " Childish behaviour on this forum" bothers you so much, why don't you simply go hang out on one of those numerous forums, where they appreciate you as "The World's greatest treeman".

What was it about that Locust, that made you think it worth wasting our time with?
That is the kind of thing I let my apprentice deal with.

In fact, staring tomorrow, he'll be pulling some 25 trees in a forest edge with a forwarder.
If I was you, I'd film them all and upload them here with some catchy titles, like "pulling extreme hazard trees."
Fortunately I'm not you.

See, the thing that you have never understood, is that when the rest of us post pictures or videos of our work, it is because we like to share what we do, with the very few people in the World, who can actually relate to it.
I can tell my wife about a tricky fell, I pulled off, but she really doesn't understand any of it.
So it is a fine thing to have a room, where one can share those things, with other folks who can relate to them.
I've learned an unbelievable lot from the folks here, at all levels.
Every time I sharpen a chain, I think of Fiona, who told me to use a red marker to make it easy to see where I started.
Every time I use a step dutchman, I think of Jerry and so on.

You have never wanted to be a part of that camaraderie.
When you post something, you want us all to be awed.
You want to show us how wastly superior to us all, you are.

We do have members here, who are wastly superior to the rest of us, but they never come off that way.
They show stuff in a humble way, none of the chest beating that always accompany you.

None of that: " look here and learn from the master" crap, that you do.

I think that is a big part of why you are so universally loathed on all the tree forums.

Now, just ignore this and tell me again, that I do crappy work.

That'll make you feel better.

Last edited:
the hickory in #481, mockernut, bitternut, or pignut?

Guesses, please. I have a good book on treebark, I think I know the answer

Cory, I wouldn't know a hickory if one bit me in the ass.

Only had one come my way, ever.
There is a local forest where they have experimented with "Exotic" species, to see if any of them do well, here.
We've already got a number of North American species doing really well:
Grand fir, Noble fir, Red oak, sitka spruce and of course, best of all, Douglas fir.
So I got a call from the forester that a Hickory had been blown over.
Did I want the log for turning.
I got 48 salad bowls out of that log.
Sold 47 and gave the last one to the forester.

Shoulda gunned it more to the left.
It was leaning pretty hard to the left. I may have slightly overcompensated with the gun. But I should have had time to adjust the DOF as the tree began to move... EXCEPT... I didn't notice this until one of the viewers on YouTube politely asked if there was a miscommunication between me and the loader op. In reviewing the video it was clear that the skid operator kept pulling after I had stopped asking for a little more pre-tension and before I got much into the back cut. I just noticed that while studying the video yesterday and so I didn't get a chance to talk to the op about it. He usually has a good reason when he does something like that, though he did just miss almost a full year of work, so he could be rusty and may have just made a mistake. I'm thinking it went right, not so much because the gun was offset to the right but because the back cut was not in line with the notch, leaving a thicker post on the right than the left, as there was nothing in the middle.

It will be interesting to see what the op says... he hasn't been his old self, but hopefully that's just a temporary situation.

Daniel, if the " Childish behaviour on this forum" bothers you so much, why don't you simply go hang out on one of those numerous forums...

Conversely, you could stop engaging him on his thread, which would serve both of you well.

If you think he's seeking attention, how does providing that attention make you superior in any way? Or is Murphy better at this game than you?

I just figured some one had to call his bullshit.

You are right, on ignore he ought to go!

Then I can ignore it when he fucks up every corona and political thread and now our dog thread, too.

But , Carl, somebody has to step up and tell the tin foil hatters to frig off, or the whole place goes to hell with idiocy.
Since you don't do it and I'm stuck at home with a broken ankle for the next 5 weeks, I figured that I might as well.

Check the "favourite proverbs" thread BTW.

PM me if you want to discuss this, please.

Last edited:
In my experience from another forum, those people go off the rails, act out, and get booted. The last person to get booted from that group text a member yesterday:

1612201147331.png

Murphy starting a conspiracy thread was a fantastic idea, I forget who first mentioned it. It doesn't interest me, usually, but by the same token he's welcome to talk about whatever he wants in there, as long as I deem it appropriate for the forum. By the same line if he wants to talk about hinges in here, that's completely fine, with the same caveat. "Calling someone's bullshit" is the definition of futility. Who in the history of ever has won an internet argument, ever? Exchanging ideas is productive, people can go awry when they try to convince someone or some group that they are right and the person/group is wrong.

Just because an idea is alternative to the mainstream, doesn't invalidate their potential logic/relegate them to being absurd thoughts of a mad hatter. From your perspective I am talking about Murphy, Frankie, Jim, or whoever's "idiotic ideas" that are "extremely" right when in fact I'm talking about your ideas as well as the vocal left population of the forum (but it applies to the right as well). This isn't a political thread or forum, but the idea is not limited to left vs right ideology.

I could expound further on all three points, but this is a thread about hinges, not philosophy. 😂

Agreed on that.
There is, however, a right way to do treework.
Murphy's crazy " Out of the box" way isn't it.
He will, as has been mentioned lots of times, eventually get someone maimed or killed, if they follow his idiocy.

Since this is primarily a tree workers forum, we shouldn't abide with someone constantly putting out nonsense about how to work trees.

Here's a deliberately miscut hinge for a change.

Hard side leaner, not huge luckily. Retainer line on the uphill side. Left the back cut high on the tension side for a little more hold. Fatty hinge and mini pull.

20210201_152225.jpg

20210201_152233.jpg

Left the back cut high on the tension side for a little more hold

An uneven hinge with one side higher to give more hold- that's a new one on me. I think I kinda get it but is it really a thing?

Same effect you get with a whizzy.
Longer fiber bend so they hold better.

I hear ya but with a whizzy, you still have a level backcut, which I have a high comfort level with. So I guess my question is, is it as good as a whizzy, which does seem to be proven.

Don’t have a copy to directly quote but it’s talked about in Fundamentals, I think the section talking about mismatched cuts etc and how they affect the direction. Trees being pulled to the high side...

Faster to cut than a Sizwell. On trees smaller than your bar it's easy to line up the mismatch. Bigger tree I'd probably go sizwell over mismatch, kinda a PITA to cut a siz in smaller trees sometimes.

This one had another stump right in front of the face, limiting where I could saw. Logs getting forwarded so didn't want to high stump and leave a taller stump than necessary

'Nother dead ash....expect the worst, pray for the best. Needed to swing it about 15 degrees, let it go over slowly, holy shit paul bunyon, holding wood!

Crooked limbs kept it from leaving the stump, I'll take it!

Ed

Attachments

• 20210313_135332.jpg
    20210313_135332.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 14
  • 20210313_135343.jpg
    20210313_135343.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 14
So I guess my question is, is it as good as a whizzy, which does seem to be proven.

I seriously doubt it. The high back cut makes it harder to trip the hinge.. much harder in some cases, which can then result in the back cut getting over cut. There is just not the added level of flex or room to move that the sizwheel offers. I have limited experience with both, but I've been pretty happy or even thrilled with the sizwheel. Can't say the same about the high back cut. There are other problems inherent to a high back cut too, depending on the grain. Any twist in the grain can through the hinge off by a lot with just a couple inches of stump shot.

Back