hinge pics

Interesting. Can’t say that I have seen that one before. What’s the point of that staggered back cut? Is it to prevent the tree from leaving prematurely?

Interesting. Can’t say that I have seen that one before. What’s the point of that staggered back cut? Is it to prevent the tree from leaving prematurely?
It’s just two bored wedges under that one. Didn’t want a double stack to spit out as it was a back leaner over the road. Had a rope on it too...

Yep, I quite love your Alaska stuff.
In all my travels, and belive me, I have been around, nothing quite hit me like Alaska.
The last frontier indeed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
looks like a little bypass in that face. Probably not enough to cause much trouble, depending on how tight the dz.. and that is a mighty thin hinge. that may have been caused by the dutchman, or possibly just from lack of force to get the tree moving.

The fundamentalists may have a problem with the bypass, which to a point is a valid concern.. why is the bypass there? even if it didn't cause an issue here, is there a problem with technique? I'm guessing you started that cut with the bottom, level cut, and finished by trying to match the top, angled cut.. Much easier the other way.

I'm guessing you started that cut with the bottom, level cut, and finished by trying to match the top, angled cut.. Much easier the other way.
I think that's probably personal preference. My cutting got much better when I started doing the horizontal first. I find it easier to gun, and I have an easier time matching the cuts up.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think that's probably personal preference. My cutting got much better when I started doing the horizontal first. I find it easier to gun, and I have an easier time matching the cuts up.
It's really not much up for debate. The open face top cut first (GOL) technique is considered much easier to match cuts.

Pretty sure it is up for debate cause I just told you my cuts are better when I start with the gun. I'm sure I'm the absolute authority on the quality and style of the work *I* perform.

The slight bypass did nothing to steer the log and either way it didn't matter as the DZ was wide open and the tree was already brushed out because I couldn't flop it whole and leaned hard over the house and vintage cast iron lamp post from the mid 1800's. The HO was more concerned for the lamp post than the house. The butt log was spit, Norway Maple, and we were pulling with a fiddle block set, quick and dirty no clean up job. If anything the slight post on the far side did more to steer the log than the bypass.

If I do top cut first I’ll just say it, the notch is proper fooked. I’ve tried. Do my flat first and I don’t let off the throttle or even really need to look and can match the angled cut. All how one is taught. Very seldom do I have to adjust because I miss. When I do I quickly blame it on someone who looked at my saw sideways.

But...but...but...the treeman god Daniel Murphy said unequivocally that it was not a debatable point. Thus, how can this be questioned, I ask you???
:evil:

I suppose it might barely possibly happen, that there be true fools that walk this planet, and don't know that they are.
:/:

Last edited:
Sorry. In my inebriated state I can not remember the word that @BeerGeek used to describe me. Basically I’m not the norm. I’m the one that goes against that. Basically I screw up the “mean”
Edit. Took a few minutes. I’m the anomaly

Last edited:
I do the bottom first, I know there’s been some debate about it.

I just feel that the bottom/flat cut sets the mark for the rest of the sequence.

I’m no logger though or even a faller of great ability.

Bottom cut first is great when call it rite.
Weight of pie slice does not end up on bar, but rather beside it.
In tree, for small tops etc.; if bottom cut last, can use to shoot the pie slice out the side.

Back