GRCS: New vs. Old

I've blocked down some 2500lb+ nuggets with mine with minimal (8" or so) of slippage over the job. On a slicker barked tree it would have been way different.

Your right on that one Willie. Forgot about that added feature. I think that was even covered in the older video now that I think about it.

Oh Darin, When you get down to chunking down a spar. Have the ground guy(s) at least remove the capstain to avoid hitting a mounted GRCS or better yet the whole mounting assembly.

Good advice. My pocket feels the purchase very keenly so we took the whole assembly off for chunking. I took huge manly pieces off today, to bad no one had a camera. Oh well.

the new dvd has a part were Greg explains and shows how to take the unit apart, what to look for and how to grease it.

maybe send him an email and ask him for the best way to get the dvd?

Hey Frans, and you other winch owners.....I cleaned mine today. After putting it back together, there is about 1/8th inch of end play between the capstan and the base unit. Is this normal? I don't remember it clanking a bit when I picked it up before. Before I disassemble it and see if I got the gears meshed correctly, I'd like one of you crazies to clue me in....

That is one job I have been putting off. Afraid I won't get it back together the way it should be. Watched the vid for a refresher but still haven't done it. With my luck the screw in the middle of the capstain won't come out or will get cross threaded when I go to put it back in.

You still have your IPL??? I got all the material on the GRCS in one seperate file tucked away where I won't forget it.

I would think if you got it back together and it works you did it right. Like most things mechanical there is only one way to put them back together other wise I don't think it would work.

Roger, you probaly put yours to a lot harder work load than the rest of do. Maybe the end play and clanking sound have been there all along and you are just now noticing it as your focussed on the GRCS because of the maintenance your doing to it. I don't know.

AxeMan=I ordered one with ours and have only used it once. We really didn't need it for that one time. Cutting that extra notch for the visor is a pain.

Actually, the Visor attachment not only keeps the unit from sliding up the trunk, it makes it incredibly easy to mount the unit on the tree.

Making the cut is simply a matter of cutting a groove on the trunk. How can that be a pain?

With the visor attached, one (1) person can hang the entire unit on the trunk and then walk around the trunk with the strap. Once the strap is hooked up, that one (1) person can then tighten the strap.

I don't understand how that can be a 'pain' to do.

I use the visor on just about every takedown just because it makes hanging it so easy and simple. But then again, I am always looking for ways to make my job faster and more efficient- the visor does that perfectly.

Hard to imagine how it used to be, with two guys holding the device and ratcheting it tight.

Roger, that 1/8" inch of endplay seems a bit excessive.

Roger, that 1/8" inch of endplay seems a bit excessive.

Yup, so I thought. I'll take it apart and check 'er out. It was a simple R&R, but maybe I missed something. I left the backing plate mounted on a tree in my back yard, so I could r&r the screw again if I needed to.....

With the visor, it might not be so important to get the unit super tight....I often find the need to use 2 guys for leverage..or at least another guy to lock the cam lever...but then I'm a little shi t ....

Larry, there was no sign of any wear at all inside the winch. Just a fair bit of debris, which mostly was able to be blown out. Then sprayed a bit of carb cleaner, a wipe, and blow dry, then regrease...Easy squeezy.

oddly enough, after slamming that volvo into the winch (twice) plus the big Euc logs, none of the gears or anything else in it's innards was even marked, discolored or even slightly worn. It all looked brand new inside.

set it down on the back plate and try to lift the winch, is there slop? how much? end play is what their after

I tried to jiggle it and it wouldn't. The space between the capstan and the base plate was exactly the size of the rings on the new Sherrills throw balls.

Attachments

• DSC03016.JPG
    DSC03016.JPG
    488.1 KB · Views: 6
  • DSC03010.JPG
    DSC03010.JPG
    502.5 KB · Views: 6
Thank yeeeeeewwwwww...

I knew sumthin wuz wrong, but was too lazy to fix it right away....

Anyone see anything wrong with this at all?

Besides not in a box yet headed my way?

:/:

Attachments

• GRCS 001.jpg
    GRCS 001.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 8
  • GRCS 003.jpg
    GRCS 003.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 7
It's not waxed and polished like Darin's?

It's not in my quiver?

It's not in yours?

yet?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
looks OK....whats the number on the winch head plate. Got a cloe up of the actual winch head/tailer?

Brendon, do I need to buy it for you? Invest in your future, my friend. It's not an expense, it's buying money.

And if you get into trouble financially, then I'll buy it from you and hold it until you can buy it back.

I can't see anything wrong with it. Frans has abused his GRCS as much as anyone possibly could and its fixed and still in use. I think it would be a safe bet.

Back