GRCS: New vs. Old

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thats an idea. Will use it more than the forks too.

Your second one, did you get it from the guy on the buzz?

yep...I think he used it once. There was still paint on the fair leads:D

Lucky bastid. Now I am seriously considering it. Vermeer had one down there someone never picked up, if I can scrounge up half cash have charge I'm gonna do it. I am serious when I say I can't fathom doing tree work without it now.

I just called vermeer today and they have one on display. I am going to pick it up if it is the newer model, otherwise I am going to get one ordered. I know where you are coming from Brendon, I just don't know how much longer I can go without one!

Do you guys recommend getting the driver bit and the visor plate too?

i havent used either but, drill piece seems like a luxury to me. visor seems nessasary but ive only slipped once and that was a sever taper. still want to get it

I went to Vermeer today too actually. They sent it to Mass. to try to sell at one of those seminars. He said it's probably still sitting in the box on the floor where he saw it last...:|:

tempting tempting tempting

Brendon, if that's the case then make him an offer on it. He may let it go cheap rather than face the possibility of getting stuck with a $2500 piece of merchandise he can't sell.

Idunno, offer him $2K or $2100.

Haha.

This is the guy who wouldn't match Wesspur prices on a bull rope and porta wrap because he paid more than they are selling it for. I don't mind paying full price, just gotta make sure my ducks are in a row.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
go for it....

I have the drill thingy,......used it mostly at B-day partys:/:

Ha that reminds me we need to take Haley on hike again to help find where peapod landed.

I finally did it. I ordered the GRCS and the additional top plate. It should be here after this holiday weekend! I am really excited and I can not wait to use it. I have scheduled a couple jobs within the following weeks that would put the GRCS to good use. I could have gotten the display model at Vermeer right away but they wouldn't knock any money off, so I said give me something new out of the box if I am paying the same price and I will wait for you guys to get it in. I will have to put some pictures up of it in action as soon as I can.

I would also like to thank you all for the wonderful feedback in a variety of threads where this topic has been covered. All of the positive info and useful pictures of what the GRCS can do pushed me in the right direction. I don't know what I would do without this site, thanks again all!

Fred

I finally did it. I ordered the GRCS and the additional top plate. It should be here after this holiday weekend! I am really excited and I can not wait to use it. I have scheduled a couple jobs within the following weeks that would put the GRCS to good use. I could have gotten the display model at Vermeer right away but they wouldn't knock any money off, so I said give me something new out of the box if I am paying the same price and I will wait for you guys to get it in. I will have to put some pictures up of it in action as soon as I can.

I would also like to thank you all for the wonderful feedback in a variety of threads where this topic has been covered. All of the positive info and useful pictures of what the GRCS can do pushed me in the right direction. I don't know what I would do without this site, thanks again all!

Fred

Jealous...:cry:

I got my GRCS on Tuesday. Today it will get its first use if the wind isn't too bad. I am trying to think of a good way to store and carry it. I have a customer who makes custom bags and I may have her do something or I was thinking I may try to find an old bowling ball bag. I am going to have to buy more blocks and ropes now too as I can afford them. I have one 5/8" block, 150' of 5/8ths stable braid, 150' of 1/2" stable braid and a port-a-wrap and that's it. I did not buy the visor but I probably will. I may have someone weld me a truck attachment instead of buying the prefab one.

That would be a cool feature. The weather report shows thunder storms and wind well into next week.

Save your money on the visor Darin.

I ordered one with ours and have only used it once. We really didn't need it for that one time. Cutting that extra notch for the visor is a pain.

To me that visor is only needed if your blocking down BIG pieces. I am thinking of those guys in the PNW. I don't think you have trees that big in Boise. Except for that occasional big Cottonwood. Those guys that have the mount slide up the stem thirty feet are doing something wrong that they are not showing. We have done some pretty heavy blocking with ours and never had the mount slip.

larry, does it help for 1 man to mount the grcs? thats where i think id use it, i hate waiting for some one to come hold it.

Your right on that one Willie. Forgot about that added feature. I think that was even covered in the older video now that I think about it.

Oh Darin, When you get down to chunking down a spar. Have the ground guy(s) at least remove the capstain to avoid hitting a mounted GRCS or better yet the whole mounting assembly. I dinged ours yesterday chunking down that Hickory we were working on bending a fair lead with a chunk. A Murphy's law thing if it can happen it will happen. We mounted the frame just in case I needed to block down a few ugly twisted crooked pieces. Turns out we didn't need to but a chunk found it's way to hit the frame by carroming of a little knob that was below me. I was pissed at myself to say the least. Our most valuable tool and I hit it. Easy fix but still shouldn't have happened if I had just ordered the mount to be removed knowing I didn't need it anymore. Hindend sight I guess is always better than none.

Back