eric schatz, flip line demo

I hate climbing big trees. Too much work, exhaustion, rope etc. I like trees where I can take down most of it with a MS200T.

I give you guys who climb those monsters my highest respect.

Heard that. Those trees out on the west coast are insane. Even though I hate Norway Maples, they are ubiquitous in my area and volunteer like crazy. I love that they get big enough to merit a moderately sized removal or pruning bid, and at the same time they are cake to climb and real easy on the saw.

Won't be long before the Ash borer gets here and then it'll be a free-for-all for the removals, like the American Elm a few years back, but much easier. Looks like soon every will be following Barry Bonds's lead with the maple bats.

Well, it doesn't look like baseball is going back to the halcyon days of enhancement, so I wonder what will replace the Ash bats? Please don't even hint at aluminum! :(

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
some days you love em, some days you hate em.
the other day i fought 1 tree for 7 and a half hours with 2 of us in it to crown clean a 140 ft fir in the cemetary
i sure hated the climb up , but once i had a high tie in i was set

Eric? What was that line we used at the demo? Size and how long? I have a visit to a client soon that has a tree that just begs for me to try it out on... :D

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thattreeguy, Hows Western roll doing ?
greg
the roll is gouing good when i have the rope, difficult with a wire lanyard,
the roll is coming along, i got it to roll out about a foot and up about a foot, the big thing is having that much extra line in your system to throw around, and keeping good balance. my foreman is trying it out and has taken to it pretty well.
its sure better than the old way, i dont walk around the tree as much

thanks guys for the tips

cursed
that was most likely 3/4 inch 3 strand on a cats paw knot for attachment.
that i believe was a 35 ft lanyard

have nick splice you up an 18 ft er and a 12 ft er i need those two and a 24 to 26 ft er would be nice, once in awhile i use my 12 clipped to my 18 but i preffer one solid length

lets here it for the low tech old school ways our hi speed friends have shown us here

I have an 18 now and I will be making a shorter 5/8ths & 1/2.. Probably 10-12. I use my 18 like no tomorrow as it sure is quick in positioning when you need the extra for that limb walk... And seeing I do A LOT of mistletoe... well you know....

I think I will have Nike make me a bigger one with a snap for those that just need it :D Let alone the practice.. ;)

Flip over backwards. Did that once, on a big double. I had to extend the flipline as I climbed the tree because the trunks spread farther apart as I went up. For the lack of taper below me to catch the flipline if it dropped just gave me ten feet of slack all of a sudden like. And there was nothing I could do but fall over backwards.

It was one of those times where you know it's going to be bad, but you can't do a damn thing about it. The utterly amazing part was the line caught the bark on the back side and drew me in as I came upright and I landed on the trunk right in my spurs about 15 feet below where I was.

I had to catch my breath and check myself out to see if I broke anything. Not. One lucky Sumbeach.

After that I always figured a ballsey climber could do controlled back rolls down a straight stem of good diameter. But the first back flip and perfecting the method would be a real she bear. I just couldn't bring myself to do that. Just not ballesy enough.

Jerry, those controlled back rolls sound like something that the Chinese acrobats would be good at perfecting. If only they had tall trees over there......

After that I always figured a ballsey climber could do controlled back rolls down a straight stem of good diameter. But the first back flip and perfecting the method would be a real she bear. I just couldn't bring myself to do that. Just not ballesy enough.

Ha, I'd like to see that!

Jer, it's moving in on 9 PM here. I seldom see west coast guys posting at this hour.

Funny to watch the house wake up, it sort of follows a pattern. People are on line at first, but not posting, as a rule. Butch seems to post without much hesitation once he's hooked in...little hangover detected. Skwerl...his computer must get turned on by remote :D

Back