Difficulty pulling a climb line up and over

how so? dont think ive ever had a reason to try it, but I cant see how it wouldnt work?
sorry you got your rope stuck, I was at a treestuff party a few weeks back and let a guy try my dynaglide out, I go over like an hour later to get it back (he came from zingit in a 5 gallon bucket to dynaglide in a legit cube, wanted to play) and he's got another line out, to get mine un stuck, shit happens
There was not enough tension on the throw line to keep the girth hitch tightly attached. The throw line came off the climbing line.

There was not enough tension on the throw line to keep the girth hitch tightly attached. The throw line came off the climbing line.
I had that happen to me last week pulling a line into a tree, first time in a very, very long time, ended up with about 30 half hitches and a girth hitch at the end, customer was watching and I was already embarrassed enough...

I used to do this, however had switched to a different technique and havent gotten a single line stuck since
girth hitch (I never use a clove on throwline) the line 18" down from the end, and thats it, it doubles over but doesnt have an end to snag, just a nice curved section which slides around obstacles
your method is the only way to put a line in a firctionsaver or pulley tho, so I suppose they each have their own advantage
that technique was shown to me by a scottish climber...never fails.
next I want to try that on a phoenix canarensis palm

the other day i tried to do this with a green poplar branch and the clove compressed the wood so much that it was severed. also i janked a little bit hard on it :) .

Attachments

• IMG_5223.jpeg
    IMG_5223.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 11
I wonder if it works better with rope as shown in the video as opposed to throwline?

I tried that too. It works only if the limb is reasonably smooth. A nob can be passed over with the stick, but no way if there's more than a tiny twig in the way toward the trunk. One of these many frustrating moments with the throwline.

You can roll a loop up a rope far higher than you can a throwline...by a great deal. And get by some minor obstructions in the bargain. I never bother with this technique with throwline, only rope.

Attaching the rope to a pole or stick allows a person to "throw" a big "overhand" loop, straight, or spiralling sideways for lateral movement of the rope relative to the stationary tree.

Last edited:
Back