eric schatz, flip line demo

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
the trees GB did back then in those photos would flick most climbers off as if the climber were a flea.
ive had a few biggies sit me right back down b4,
not many of my every day trees do that
made me have to call in one of the older hired guns around here

Quicker then you think!

Alrighty. Hope you and I get to share that experience one fine day. I don't doubt for a minute you will indeed tcob.

I also don't doubt you will feel whipped hard, my friend :).

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt and the aches and pains to prove it ;).

Once at a show I heard some folks talking about how those pictures were photo chopped. How it was impossible for someone to do that.
How do you explain that to a person who has never even seen a redwood?

Best to just buy Ger's video sets.

Once at a show I heard some folks talking about how those pictures were photo chopped. How it was impossible for someone to do that.
How do you explain that to a person who has never even seen a redwood?

Best to just buy Ger's video sets.

Something that is really hard for climbers who have not worked in the tall trees of the west coast to appreciate is the distance one must traverse up the tree.

I know from personal experience that there are huge diameters in the trees of the east and southeast. Maybe not as big as what I've spur climbed up here in Oregon, certainly not as big as those down in NorCal redwood country, but by dang big nonetheless.

But the thing that will kick your azz is the height that the diameters reach to. Any strong, persistent climber can manage to worry his way up a spur climb on a 80+ inch stem when the extent of the climb is 25 feet. Make that 125 feet and the picture changes radically.

I don't mean to talk down to y'all easterners...I know that many of you are outstanding climbers, spur and otherwise. Far better than I on many fronts.

But you really don't know whereof you speak when you underestimate the challenges of fliplining these tall, fat stems.

So come on out, we'll have a another great GTG, and give spur climbing some biggies a go. Rec climbing is legal on National Forests, so far! It won't hurt the Douglas firs one little smidge :).

yeah...i finaly heard somone say it....
it wont hurt these big doug firs a smidge...
lets gaff it up!!
i like it, i love it i wanna gaff my ass up it
i try so hard i cant get , hip thrustin

sorry bout that

i like my gaffs

MB
looks like you may get that oppurtunity to show us how easy it is to flip these big trees

i know ill get schooled by the older fellas

but i dont care, it sounds fun

Everyone always talks about how tall the redwoods are, I personally think that the burr oaks I saw on the east coast must be especially challenging to remove. Massive horizontal limbs to rope down

Everyone always talks about how tall the redwoods are, I personally think that the burr oaks I saw on the east coast must be especially challenging to remove. Massive horizontal limbs to rope down

We've got a few good-sized ones around here. This is a Burr Oak in a nearby swamp. Though I might argue the limbs of White Oaks are even bigger around and more wide spreading than the Burr Oaks.

Attachments

• P9170023.jpg
    P9170023.jpg
    264.9 KB · Views: 8
mebbe it was a white oak I saw then. Huge sprawling limbs going over several neighbor's houses.
Looked like a riggers nightmare to remove.

mebbe it was a white oak I saw then. Huge sprawling limbs going over several neighbor's houses.
Looked like a riggers nightmare to remove.

Without a bucket, and lacking a central leader to rig from, a living nightmare, as are the Live Oaks in the South. When with Bartlett the salesman bid quite a few of the big White Oaks for pruning only, no takedowns. Pruning itself is tough with no central leader to tie into. We used telephone spurs to get up toward the tips of the sprawling limbs to prune the deadwood, though of course spiking live trees was much discouraged by Bartlett. We did it anyway when no one was looking. Bartlett was real big on fine pruning big Oaks to perfection for aesthetics with big money clients. I don't know who got most the bids for the big takedowns, but if they roped them down they certainly had to be good. Not quite like spiking up giant Redwoods, but a challenge nonetheless.

Burnham, I would drive to spur some Doug firs with you guys.

Just let me know when.
Maybe we could cut a few trees in half too,
score us a contract or two for the FS and we'll stage it as a TH GTG.

Whole different climbing than the rec climbing srt.

Just let me know when.

Now you are talkin, spurrin with saws! and financed by the G stimulus plan

Just let me know when.

Heck yeah! I got an Oregon liscense:/: Oh, federal, don't need a state lisense!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dXoInqpz62A&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dXoInqpz62A&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Back