eric schatz, flip line demo

thattreeguy

TreeHouser
Thanks to Eric Schatz for the demonstration at the GTG

I put the technique to use today on a removal that took up most of my !8 ft lanyard
the one that was so amusing to have at the GTG( big 3 braid boat anchor rope)

Thanks so much for the tips, i shared with one of my jr climbers today

made for a good climb for both of us

thanks again!

Eric...Ne Tree, can ya post the vid or pics?

Katy took some... Man he was great at instructing the method on flipping the line on big wood. I picked it up and got it right up the trunk for Levi to see..
Here ya go Dave... Sorry I am late with adding photos
Note: Dave is next to a redwood ;)

Attachments

• Picture 070.jpg
    Picture 070.jpg
    321.1 KB · Views: 18
  • Picture 071.jpg
    Picture 071.jpg
    322.4 KB · Views: 15
  • Picture 072.jpg
    Picture 072.jpg
    324 KB · Views: 15
  • Picture 073.jpg
    Picture 073.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 16
YVW
Is that Erik in the orange shirt???? Taking vid or pics??:/:

I too have had my 18 all the way out on some wood... I did a sequoia once in a guys yard.. Just some lower limbs... Man I wish I had met Eric before that tree. I walked away the first day on it... Re thunk it and did it on the second... I know I will have to do that tree again and it definitely won't give me grief the next time ;)
Thanks again Eric.... You are an awesome instructor .... 8)

Had a pretty big redwood in the yard, took me an hour or more to flip up 15-20ft before a co-worker taught me that tech.

Brutal.

Good ol Western Roll.You can get the hang of it while standing on the ground. But once you step onto the tree, it becomes a different story. Sometimes the amount of belly you need in the flip under both hands is substantial on a big tree and that can freak people out. However it's neccessary in order to get a good roll.

Eric is no doubt a pro. at it and so is Jerry B. Want big forearms thats one way to build them.

Greg

In the Working Climber DVD the title, "Spur and Flipline" Eric is climbing the Coombs Tree at the end. Took nearly 50' of rope to make it around at the butt.

Greg's right, it's easy to work a rope around a big bole on the ground. When you get on the side of the tree it is another thing altogether.

First large red I flipped was with a couple of friends on Joy Ridge in 70. We hooked ourselves together. It was a brilliant idea of mine, but it failed miserably. When two of us came close to the tree the other guy practically fell off. Eyoww

A couple years later I managed to develop the technique to scale the trees by myself. But always tried to find easier ways to do it. One was the double flip line technique. And that works pretty darn good. A bit slow, but you don't get beat up as bad.

Then of course there's the big doubles where the tree often gets larger as you go up. I flipped clean over backwards on one of those. Very frightening, but didn't even get a sliver out of it.

When you get the flipline fouled in the bark it can literally exhaust you trying to get it free. I prided myself to be able to climb those trees, but today the truth of the matter is,, I had my fill of them things. Though I often think about having had a big shots in those days. Man, I could have saved myself a lot of work.

Attachments

• JOY1.jpg
    JOY1.jpg
    473.7 KB · Views: 13
  • JOY5.jpg
    JOY5.jpg
    361.5 KB · Views: 12
  • Method3.jpg
    Method3.jpg
    558.8 KB · Views: 12
  • Method6.jpg
    Method6.jpg
    788.3 KB · Views: 12
  • Method13.jpg
    Method13.jpg
    492.3 KB · Views: 12
First large red I flipped was with a couple of friends on Joy Ridge in 70. We hooked ourselves together. It was a brilliant idea of mine, but it failed miserably. When two of us came close to the tree the other guy practically fell off. Eyoww.

Hahaha...brilliant ideas make a lot of sense sometimes until we try to put them into action. It's related to Burnham's quote: "Confidence is the feeling you sometimes have before you fully understand the situation."

Awesome pictures...and that last one with the codoms is WILD. :lol:

The idea of flip-lining up one of those gargantuans just seems insane. There couldn't have been a single muscle in the body not completely exhausted from the effort. Incredible feat of skill, endurance, athleticism ... and balls.

Yea but just look at those pics. Hell! no one seemed to care about ppe back than, except for you. Just put on your tank top or cut off, billl cap, set of spurrs and GET TO IT!...lol.. What was that around late seventies to early eighties?

That's about right, Greg. I always thought that a large diameter flipline event should be in the olympics. 6,8 and 10 foot class for the eliminations,, and a 15 footer for the grand finale and the gold.

I would really love to see that.

Y'all who haven't had to do it have no idea of the work entailed...and the trees Jer's showing are in another league entirely from the 6-8 footers I struggled with back in the day.

Butch, it might seem like "meh" to you...come on out, we could find a few to humble you big-time.
:)

Great photos Jerry.

Monster redwoods!

Makes the ones at my old place look like twigs!

Back