Basic demo climbing?

The gunning sight is for gunning, 90 degrees to the bar. The handle is for holding, hard to know how it is compared to the bar.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The gunning sight is for gunning, 90 degrees to the bar. The handle is for holding, hard to know how it is compared to the bar.
Back in the day the handles were 90 and that’s what they gunned with…Jreds still are. I think most full wraps are 90. Well the old ones like my 395, 266, 288 are. The 6100 is kinda…weird. Modern swoopy loopy stuff.

Yeah…I got it from the fundamentals book…I don’t remember the name of the other method where one lays out the tree with folding sticks.
Well, I had to go pull my copy off the shelf and leaf through...sure enough, right there. I am sure I'd read it in the past, but that method didn't take for me :).

Gunning sticks I'm down with, but that's still sighting rather than actual measuring. Never needed to use that method either, but I do recall it in detail unlike the stake and tape method.

Thanks, David!

I guess I’m open to accuracy ratings for open sights gunning as well. I haven’t done it enough to say, “yeah, on a 100’ tree I can be within 5’. I think that would be more dependent on the skill and experience of the faller using his sights.

I do see some guys dropping trees in some very narrow spaces…

Speaking of which, do any of you use the 90* handles on Jonsereds or just go with the sights cast into the plastic…and variation one to another? I spose the handle could get bent.
I reckon I've done it enough to say that...“ yeah, on a 100’ tree I can be within 5’ ". Almost all the time, but not every time in my career. Moreso the last 20 years over the first 20 :).

Back