Your Preferred Method for Flinging a Throw Weight/Throw Ball for Setting A Line!

Knotorious

That Guy With The Face
Anyone else prefer the single hand throw AKA pendulum method like I do? I find that the cradle is awkward and not as accurate for me, but I do know many prefer it. I also find that pendulum produces higher and more accurate throws for me. There are other methods such as the "circular," where you fling the weight around in circular motions in one hand before letting it go before the apex (as shown in the video below, but under a different name).

Not a fan of this method below because I find it to be inaccurate for me, but it is just one of many...

Furthermore, BIG SHOT is king. I'd sooner use my Big Shot then f*ck around with anything else (unless the desired TIP is low to the ground).

Please share you personal preference for flinging a weight up for setting a line and any new, unsual methods that you've heard of!

i use the one handed throw but will pass a bight through the ring of the weight to have a loop for my finger. big-shot and apta can be great but i only use them when the only possible tip is over 100‘ or when the ground is full of stuff/plants that make it too difficult to throw.

I hate throw lines. After messing about with pendulum, I try cradle, then I just yeet the weight like I'm throwing a rock. Rinse and repeat.

I've been meaning to build my own take on the APTA, but more like the ATOM. Air Tank Operated Mortar. An apta with bipod legs and rudimentary sights, with a spring and catch system to operate the butterfly valve much faster and more consistently than by hand.

But alas, I've yet to get around to it, so I throw by hand. I've actually gotten pretty good, and I hate it less. A little practice goes a long way, so long as you put effort into it and study what you're doing wrong. I can throw higher and more accurately with the cradle, but it feels weird.

Used a recurve bow a few times on rec climbs in the woods. Works quite well once you get the hang of it, just make sure you tie off the other end of the line. Also, tied off to your folding cube is not good enough, unless you step on the corner of the cube. I learned this while climbing a totally different tree from the one I intended. Also, you can "check" the line as it pays out, by snatching it with a gloved hand. This will take all the energy and momentum from the arrow and it will drop like a stone. At some point I'll try this technique with my massively overpowered crossbow.

Never used archery at work, always figured it was too risky, even with a blunt arrowhead.

The Navy and many mariners use Line Projecting rifles, often firing 45-70, or twelve gauge blanks to cast a weight and line from ship to ship. A light line drags a heavier line, which drags, say, a fuel hose. It's how we did underway replenishment during WW2.

A trebuchet may well work, but it would take a lot of tinkering to get it set up to fire on the right trajectory, then you've got to set it up on site.

Honestly, once you get the hang of it, archery is the most accurate way I've found to put a line RIGHT THERE, the first time, everytime. On those rushed ninja climbs in certian west coast parks, they're a must in my opinion.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I hate throw lines. After messing about with pendulum, I try cradle, then I just yeet the weight like I'm throwing a rock. Rinse and repeat.

I've been meaning to build my own take on the APTA, but more like the ATOM. Air Tank Operated Mortar. An apta with bipod legs and rudimentary sights, with a spring and catch system to operate the butterfly valve much faster and more consistently than by hand.

But alas, I've yet to get around to it, so I throw by hand. I've actually gotten pretty good, and I hate it less. A little practice goes a long way, so long as you put effort into it and study what you're doing wrong. I can throw higher and more accurately with the cradle, but it feels weird.

Used a recurve bow a few times on rec climbs in the woods. Works quite well once you get the hang of it, just make sure you tie off the other end of the line. Also, tied off to your folding cube is not good enough, unless you step on the corner of the cube. I learned this while climbing a totally different tree from the one I intended. Also, you can "check" the line as it pays out, by snatching it with a gloved hand. This will take all the energy and momentum from the arrow and it will drop like a stone. At some point I'll try this technique with my massively overpowered crossbow.

Never used archery at work, always figured it was too risky, even with a blunt arrowhead.

The Navy and many mariners use Line Projecting rifles, often firing 45-70, or twelve gauge blanks to cast a weight and line from ship to ship. A light line drags a heavier line, which drags, say, a fuel hose. It's how we did underway replenishment during WW2.

A trebuchet may well work, but it would take a lot of tinkering to get it set up to fire on the right trajectory, then you've got to set it up on site.

Honestly, once you get the hang of it, archery is the most accurate way I've found to put a line RIGHT THERE, the first time, everytime. On those rushed ninja climbs in certian west coast parks, they're a must in my opinion.
I've used a crossbow before. It's, unsurprisingly, very accurate. The arrow has no nock and no tip and just has a weighted end that I created using lead sheeting to form a head that is aerodynamic.

A lot of great ideas and concepts in your post! Trebuchet would be very interesting to see in action! As would be the ATOM!

I've also created a cannon using PVC piping that's sealed off at one end with an electric match and battery operated ignition and flash power at the bottom with a throw weight made out of a lead fishing weight surrounded by packing and with thin, flexible wire connecting the weight to the throw line so that the flash powder's combustion doesn't burn the line. It works a little too well haha and I wouldn't recommend anyone using this method unless they know how to properly measure out flash powder so they don't get a visit from the ATF or FBI.

Last edited:
Bobby made a bow out of Surinam cherry, mounted an old fishing reel on the front and made arrows out of old fishing rods. He could hit a 6" square at 60', I nicknamed him 'Bobbin Hood'
The arrows were weighted at the tip, spray painted bright orange, we used 6lb test mono, the arrows usually slipped right down, then pull the throwline, then climb line.
Then 'Tree Machine' sent me a Bigshot head, and the bow and arrows went into retirement. (I still have it)
BigShot 'erry day, allday.

I also use cradle to throw and the APTA for particularly dense canopies or undergrowth or a really high TIP. Or, sometimes if I am near powerlines and I feel like I am "off" from throwing for the day I will use the APTA for stuff I would normally throw in to. I don't like the idea of accidentally hooking my throwline so it goes anywhere near the powerlines.

Back