Throw line on your saddle

Treeaddict

Treehouser
Ordered another bag (11oz. - smallest one owned) and some line. Was thinking that it could help negotiate the canopy as I recently added a 30’ lanyard to the mix. Figured it could also help in setting remote rigging. If it doesn’t work like I want, what have I lost?! I do always have a bag in the tree that I’ve tied directly to the end of the rope which is ok for short distance. My 8’ telescoping hook works well also. This would be for greater distances

Anyone here generally take a bag and line up?

Last edited:
I keep an 8oz weight and some line on my saddle. It's been used, but I haven't formed a routine with it.

I stopped taking it up.
First, I have Rob to send me the line from the ground if needed. He keeps the cube down there, i pull rope through my target and such as he flakes it back in.
Second: I plan my climbs pretty good and will often set more than one line if I see the need, from the ground. If I did not need it, great. If I do, great.
Solo, I might reconsider it. But again, i can set as many from the ground as I want usually. And of course, the pole saw advances the line pretty well in a pinch.

Advancing my tie in, and using it with the grapnel to manipulate branches. It's all pretty ad hoc, and on the fly. Like I said, I haven't really developed a routine with it. I don't consider it essential, but for the small amount of space and weight it takes, I think it's tool worth having available.

I generally don't carry one, but will when needed, either to advance my rope to a new location or a new tree.

High shots can be easy shots when they are 20' horizontally, rather than 80' vertically.

Used my Grapnel recently for a tree-to-tree transfer. First time. Very helpful.

Of course, soon thereafter, I found my mislaid Epple hook, still unused to this day.

I carry mine up on most prunes and some takedowns, as the tight shots I get high up on tall oaks/maples/poplars means I have to occasionally reset my TIP, or set in another tree to keep out of my way/safety. Small Weaver mug w/~150 feet of line & 8 oz. weight, for those times I also have to assist setting a remote line/rigging device for the brush monkeys. Barely notice on my saddle.

I climbed for a living for well over 20 years and never once ever thought of bringing a throw line into the tree with me. Of course I learned back in the old days where you had a saddle, lanyard, saw and your lifeline. You used skill and physical strength to make your way around the tree. Guys that carry 20 lbs of crap on their saddles typically can't climb for shite. As others have said, plan your climbs before you leave the ground. Bring what you need and leave the rest in the truck. If you run into an unexpected situation, have your groundman send up what you need. But carrying around a bunch of gear that you won't use is stupid.

I climbed for a living for well over 20 years and never once ever thought of bringing a throw line into the tree with me. Of course I learned back in the old days where you had a saddle, lanyard, saw and your lifeline. You used skill and physical strength to make your way around the tree. Guys that carry 20 lbs of crap on their saddles typically can't climb for shite. As others have said, plan your climbs before you leave the ground. Bring what you need and leave the rest in the truck. If you run into an unexpected situation, have your groundman send up what you need. But carrying around a bunch of gear that you won't use is stupid.
Spurs or spurless?

Yes, I understand.

I was asking Brian, @SkwerI.

To expand on my previous response, rarely do I carry or pull up a throw line.

I will know in advance if I need it.

Recently, I was hopping from one tall conifer to another. Some I could reach a suitable branch on the next tree and pull myself over ( no TL), some were setting ropes from one tree for the next with a trip to the ground between, and one was moving my rope to the new tree before transferring (Grapnel because I couldn't get the weight back to me).

As Brian mentioned.

I have been climbing 20 years and have never carried a throw line in a tree or had the need to use one.

Plan the climb before hand an set multiple lines if needed. I do use a Captain Hook quite a bit for traversing within the canopy. I also used to carry an old throwbag and a crab on my harness. Clip that to the end of a spliced eye if you need to throw within the canopy to advance your TIP.

Maybe the need or never needing a throw line and bag in canopy is to do with the type of trees we generally work in over here in Eurostan.

Back