Cool old Stihl accessory....

Ed L

Treehouser
Found this floating around in the case for my 032 a while back......been stuck in the for the 15 years I've owned it, finally decided to come loose. :lol: I've never seen one before.

Would be handy to have a dozen of them around!

Ed

Attachments

• BAR CLEANER.jpg
    BAR CLEANER.jpg
    440.4 KB · Views: 117
That's a real nice hook Ed, I have a couple of Oregon and Sandvik similar but don't have the carb screwdriver and angle gauge. Their a good shim also for tightening bar rails when hammering on an anvil to .050 spec.

Guess I need to check mine. Never paid attention to a name brand on them. Looks just like pic but older and used looking.

Any of you ever seen Husqvarna's ridiculously laughable Nordfeller tree falling accessory?

Runs off the saw's head compression, through a line into an inflatable wedge, that pushes the tree over in the felling cut behind the saw.

http://www.chainsawcollectors.se/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2047

Came on an old 254 XP light mid size saw with .325 European pitch bar and chain.

Still can't believe such a silly under powered inflatable wedging device ever made it to market, when just leaning against the tree applied more felling force!

I now prefer huskies for all my mid size saws, though the 365/372 specials and XP's are still my hands down all around favorite rear handled saws. Extremely tough and durable performers.

Husky's now primely poised to steal the king's crown!

What?

Jomo

Have you ever used one? If not you might be surprised how much power exhaust has, I've got a small exhaust tipper trailer and it can really lift some weight.

I had a 444 Husky and it was an accessory for them but I never bought one so don't really know if they worked well or not.

Nice little gadget Ed, I've got an Atom one similar to that but it's rectangular and carb adjuster is shorter and is just for cleaning the bar groove but I guess you could use it as a screwdriver. I've had it since '77 and that never occurred to me, probably because I have more screwdrivers and screnches than I know what to do with.

Any of you ever seen Husqvarna's ridiculously laughable Nordfeller tree falling accessory?

Runs off the saw's head compression, through a line into an inflatable wedge, that pushes the tree over in the felling cut behind the saw.

Came on an old 254 XP light mid size saw with .325 European pitch bar and chain.

Still can't believe such a silly under powered inflatable wedging device ever made it to market, when just leaning against the tree applied more felling force!

I now prefer huskies for all my mid size saws, though the 365/372 specials and XP's are still my hands down all around favorite rear handled saws. Extremely tough and durable performers.

What?

Jomo

I have 344FG, 444FG, 162FG.
I also have Jonsered 452N with was first out with Nordfeller.

This was a very good idea and if it were used today with Aspen fuel it would work perfectly.
At the time it was used here we ran with commercial gas and mixed with oils that sometimes was not well mixed or good oil.
This and some user faults lead to excessive carbon build up that plugged the system.

It was not a accessory per say as you needed to change cylinders on Husqvarna and add the tubes and valve to get it working.
Jonsereds 451/452 often had the hole already so it was easier to plug in.

Have you ever used one?

Oh yeah!

And like I said, it was an under powered joke!

But hey, everyone makes mistakes.

Silvey tree jacks sure kick butt though!

Husky's never really impressed me much till the 90's

Competition twixt manufacturers is a good thing.

Go Husqvarna!

Jomo

Tony from Amicks had something like that he gave out at a GTG in Indiana .I don't remember where I put it .Most times if I have to scrape the crude out of a bar slot it's the first thing I come across .Little screwdriver,pocket knife blade ,whatever .

When the first 2100 husky's came out it revolutionized the job of timber falling. Some guys were reluctant to put down their 125's and 090's, but came around eventually unless they were running a 5' or 6' bar. Hopped up a 2100 would rip with a 50'' cannon bar even with .404 chain. I still have and occasionally run my 30 year old 2100. Hard to believe that something that got used that hard, would be so well built that it still does the job today.

When the first 2100 husky's came out in the 80's it revolutionized the job of timber falling. Some guys were reluctant to put down their 125's and 090's, but came around eventually unless they were running a 5' or 6' bar. Hopped up a 2100 would rip with a 50'' cannon bar even with .404 chain. I still have and occasionally run my 30 year old 2100. Hard to believe that something that got used that hard, would be so well built that it still does the job today.

Al I am no chainsaw mechanic, but I have never had that problem unless it was something basic like fuel filter, fuel, spark plug or occasionally the carb needed rebuilding or kitted. If the carb isn't done right, that could cause chronic problems also. The screen on the muffler is another thing that causes headaches, including carbon in the muffler.

Had one of these catch fire doing a base cut in the mid 70's!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 49
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 50
Testing..

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/7AGLFLvima4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Jomo

Look out!

Run for your lives!

Timberrrrr!

Good lord that's funny!

Thanks Magnus Mate!

Jomo

Well yeah a 2100 will scoot if you can get the stubborn SOB started .

I ran a 2100 for a couple weeks in the 80's logging in CT. I would characterize it as being like driving a nail with a sledgehammer: heavy to carry around but once you get it to the work, it gets it done real quick.

Truthfully it's more getting used to the whims of that thing. It's a high comression rascal with a relatively small starter drum for one thing and no decomp . Number two it has a large bore Tillotson model HS carb which makes it very easy to flood .Oh I got unto it eventually after installing a D-handle and nearly pulling my arm out of the socket from flooding it so many times .It will cut though,can't deny that .

What in the world is that 444 thing anyway .Pnuematic wedge ?

Yes it is a wedge. Pretty decent stuff in small timber woods like pine, spruce, pulp wood.
No use in most logging here today as this is mechanized. The large wood and styff that the harvesters can't reach is too big for this thing.
There are other things better...

Nordfeller was best around 30cm (chest hight diameter) where it was actually faster way of using it than with normal wedge and hammer.
After 40cm it takes time to build enough pressure.
As I said the reason for it not hitting full way out was due to carbon build up.
I bet it would have been a greater hit if that problem was not there.

Correct me if I'm wrong, Magnus.
I believe those were originally developed for those fallers that fed the first processor, the Logma. It was unable to fell trees, could only limb and buck them, so needed a couple of fallers to run ahead of it.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/vqts6IJpIWY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The guy I was felling for as a young padwan was lyric about it and talked about it a lot. Alway's bitching that it was not availeble to his 272 as he loved it on the 162. On our education routs lokking at stumps he showed me many he felled with pillow.

It was one of the ideas, Stig. Felling for these logma (and others like it), "stamrunkare" as we called them was one of the arguments for it to be tested, but not the main reason for developing it.

It was a thing to try as it has worked in the past with hydraulic wedges. There was a change in forrestry here were there was fewer crews that had a seperate feller, seperate apter and seperate delimbers. Falling for mashine like logma and others like it was not news and using this was actually not increasing the amount of dropped timber/day.

It was meant to be used as felling aid when things are tricky. Along edges, rivers, lakes etc. Also in 2'd thinning and in old growth clearings were precision felling was a must. You know how that is. One tree has to go, the four around it has to stay and be unharmed.
Often in spruce you put it in one of the root legs if you could.
It was not a bad idea if used correctly.

I have split meter sized beech with it. Lifted smaller back leaners and i liked it...

I've used it, too.
Interesting enough on I had it fitted on my 444.
It sure sucked the big one, when you cut into it:D
But for clear cutting spruce it worked pretty well.

What?

Jomo
Seeing Ed's "Cool old Stihl accessory" thread is a little bit derailed I thought I'd put some good reading nostalgia on "Cool old Jonsereds / Husqvarna accessory ":D

First in 1978 when Jonsereds new invention the Nordfeller was introduced with the heavy duty Jonsereds 70. Then going back to 1974 when the Husqvarna 1100CD was introduced to North America and then to the new and improved 2100CD in 1977.

Attachments

• image0-005.jpg
    image0-005.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 40
  • image0-006.jpg
    image0-006.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 40
  • image0-004.jpg
    image0-004.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 40
  • image0-007.jpg
    image0-007.jpg