Blocking down a spar. How do you do it?

How do you block down a spar?

• Total voters
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I guess I should have clarified that I meant bigger wood in a tighter dropzone, more on par with Butch's picture of the one hand cut one hand push method, on up to whatever size is still manageable by a climber. Most of all, I was thinking of the 100 pound firewood rounds and up. I figure a lot of folks here are one hand sawyers and frequently push off pieces with a top-handle saw, maybe not so tall/ big as Butch's piece, but its pretty routine. I'm thinking of blocking down trunks once they are past the top handle saw's capability.

Like this Burnam???

:D

I think it was Gord done did this one...

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lW-_IO08NdI?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lW-_IO08NdI?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Like this, this, this, sometimes this and if at all possible, like this:D

Attachments

• Smith removals 052.jpg
    Smith removals 052.jpg
    775 KB · Views: 8
  • Picture 024.jpg
    Picture 024.jpg
    324.8 KB · Views: 10
  • DSCF0011.JPG
    DSCF0011.JPG
    672.8 KB · Views: 10
  • Smith removals 058.jpg
    Smith removals 058.jpg
    818.9 KB · Views: 11
  • Birch removals 010.jpg
    Birch removals 010.jpg
    790.2 KB · Views: 7
  • misc trees 118.jpg
    misc trees 118.jpg
    260 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0146.jpg
    IMG_0146.jpg
    1,002.9 KB · Views: 8
  • P1010096.JPG
    P1010096.JPG
    704.9 KB · Views: 7
  • DSCF0032.JPG
    DSCF0032.JPG
    835.4 KB · Views: 8
  • Smith removals 047.jpg
    Smith removals 047.jpg
    662.9 KB · Views: 9
  • Smith removals 063.jpg
    Smith removals 063.jpg
    887.3 KB · Views: 8
  • Smith removals 053.jpg
    Smith removals 053.jpg
    600.9 KB · Views: 10
What's the difference between a 'chunk' and a 'block'?

I do whatever it takes but in general if I'm knocking off 4' to 12' chunks I face and push or use a short felling bar.

And therein lies the riub. I believe the term " blocking down" is usually meant to refer to negative blocking .

This thread could perhaps be entitled "What techniques do you use for working down a spar"

And I also employ whatever the situation requires. I love to undermine the COB of a long section, so as not to have to use a pull line, or carry wedges aloft.

For 35 years, I've one handed the saw while pushing the section over. Today's safety police frown on that, saying its dangerous. True, it can be..especially if the bar isn't long enough to go through, and the tip contacts some uncut wood --but proper swing cutting would negate that chance---

A good tool to use for more safely finishing a backcut is a straight bladed handsaw. But I lost my Natanoko years ago, and never got a 16" Silky Mazuru..which was recommended to me by wiley_p.

For cutting rounds, I'll backchain as the kerf is closing, to make a space for the back of the bar to not be pinched, allowing the section to be cut all the way through, and the saw removed more easily that if that isn't done...or better, pop in a long wedge...which can then be used as a lifting lever to slide the round off.

Or cut at an angle to get the piece to slide off.

Or use a crowbar to lift the section and install one or two wooden dowels,such as broken rake handles. Then the round can be easily rolled off..and distance can be gained--works well which lateral distance is needed to avoid an obstacle....I've free dropped wood from inside a deck using this method several times. Similar to Reg's neat (but cumbersome and pricey) BlcokDriver.

I also prefer to avoid snap cutting..as it takes a bit of time...and makes for ragged looking firewood.. Further, more than a few times when snap cutting, I've had to start over with the mismatch portion of the cut, or actually had the section turn and fall to the side, as enough wood on the off side wasn't cut.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Agreed RB about a better title. I should slow down until I have the time to write out the post better. It could have been better written to specify working down a vertical spar where gravity wants to keep the block in place.

We have 12% in other, with the boom push and a roller option. What else fits in here for "other". Looking for some creative options.

Roger, I see that you have now have a photobucket. Did Flick'r fill up? You can't store many per month. I ran out of space on PB, so tried Flick'r.

What exactly do you mean by "swing cutting"?

I couldn't possibly choose one of the choices, simply because I might use three different methods on one spar, perhaps using the snap cut method up high where the wood is smaller, then progressing to cutting straight through while pushing with one hand, then finally using notch/pull line when the chunks get too big to push easily by hand. I'll prolly use which ever method Murph is promoting at the time (perhaps the "magic cut" mentioned above).:D

Actually that's what's funny. My saw is razor sharp and my filter is clean and all that jazz so to do a small deep undercut like in my avy is pretty much effortless. And in my avy I'm not really cutting and pushing at the same time, just pushing, barely, more guiding the piece off effortless. But in alot of peoples opinion probably lazily, I haven't "parked" the saw or nothing just backed it out of the cut.

No worries, Sean.
no way was I bustin yer chops....besides, you're bigger than me....if not smellier......

Quit using my PB account when I went with Flickr..like it better..but I have a pro account, with no limits. and only $25 a yr.....

Swing cutting...I shoulda said sweeping the saw around..when it's shorter than the cut....so as not to hit some uncut wood with the tip and cause a kickback.....

Back