arborist directory

Like a better business bureau? It could have sure benefits for young upcoming business with all the certs that strive to get bigger, but then it may not be so good for the small old business that choose to run things the way they always have. Bound to make separations and bring about finger pointing.

Looks nice but theres no reviews, who is it marketed towards? Remember, there will be 52 sets of regulation regarding what licenses are required. I'd like to see something like that but only if it gets used by the consumers

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Looks nice but theres no reviews, who is it marketed towards? Remember, there will be 52 sets of regulation regarding what licenses are required. I'd like to see something like that but only if it gets used by the consumers

how do you mean no reviews? to the individual listings? This only went live 3 days ago. Its being marketed to everyone really, primarily homeowners but hopefully bigger businesses also. Id have to look into the regulations you mention etc

Ah, I suppose 3 days is a bit early to ask much:D Yes, I went through several pages and saw no comments to individual companies. Licensing is set forth by each state. In Idaho, where old monkey is, theres no liscense required. In Oregon you are required to have a construction contractors license, a bond and insurance. ISA stuff, basic pruning or biology etc are not required. California is similar to OR. I bet we could help you out with a majority of the states if you want to pursue that line.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ah, I suppose 3 days is a bit early to ask much:D Yes, I went through several pages and saw no comments to individual companies. Licensing is set forth by each state. In Idaho, where old monkey is, theres no liscense required. In Oregon you are required to have a construction contractors license, a bond and insurance. ISA stuff, basic pruning or biology etc are not required. California is similar to OR. I bet we could help you out with a majority of the states if you want to pursue that line.

Thanks. Seems like it would be quite a large undertaking compared to doing a UK one. might be worth it though, i'll wait see what other feedback there is on the matter

I was just looking at it on my phone and the mobile version is not user friendly at all. I assume the regular desktop version is better.

What is the deal with getting listed? Do the companies have to pay? Or is this funded by advertising? I think the ISA has a listing that you can pay to get on, I could be wrong and it might be the WAA that has the pay listing. Either way, I haven't paid for a listing and customers still seem to find us from searches on ISA and WAA web sites.

Steve, most private people that need tree work done in the US go through the phone directory or word of mouth. Phone directories supply no clue as to the experience and expertise of the tree companies they might consider. Local bill board ads is a good means to direct the consumer to this new online directory. Least until consumers are more adapt to using the internet to fine local qualified tree services. Until then it's up to the phone directories and word of mouth. Which is a gamble.

enough enrolled private trees services in a given area could finance the cost of bill board until the consumer becomes wise. Pipe dream? maybe. just a thought.

Given Jerry's thoughts, it seems like it could be a backdoor way to help establish some standards in the business. Whether consumers are willing to go to a little effort to find qualified people, instead of just their fingers doing the walking, I think remains an unknown.

Steve, most private people that need tree work done in the US go through the phone directory or word of mouth...

It IS true...but the times, they are a-changing. There is a generation of folks who have never cracked open a phone book. I'm 32 yrs old, but haven't used the yellow pages in AGES. When I need something done, I go to google.

In the same light, 0% of my arb customers find me in the yellow pages (since I'm not there!). They all find me via Google, the ISA website, and www.yelp.com (lately if you go there and search "arborist" in los angeles, Tree Care LA is the first one to pop up!)

I say now is the time for something like this. A few years from now, we'll wonder how we ever went without it :)

Steve, just the other day I was thinking that there should be a forum for homeowners to ask questions and we could occasionally bless them with our arboreal godliness. And it looks like you're doing it already!

love
nick

It might show, but I had to actually show a guy how to find my add in the local paper Service Directory, he couldn't find anything there and got me from a Google search.

About early 30's, a carpenter and not bad at it. Makes me wonder sometimes.:roll:

Just got a phone call solicitation from the Penny Saver. I told them to take a hike unless they were offering free samples. I'm not looking for folks that want to save pennies. I want people ready to plop down some benjamins!

damn-straight-43659033712.jpeg

Nick has the idea. the way people are doing business is definitely changing. Go with the times or not: it's every businessman's choice...

Yellow Pages is history, in fact they are phasing out the paper directory over here, and going to a purely online model.

Most of my clients find me on t'interweb in one way or another, I do all my quoting and invoicing by email in pdf format, and a significant proportion pay by BACS.

Some of my clients I have never met or spoken to on the phone......
Not too sure how I feel about that last one, but its certainly less hassle.

Back