O.C.G.D. Thread, part two

We bought the newish Stihl FS 460 C brush cutter last week.
Smooth running machine, I must say. I really like it a LOT.
The pinon gear on this one is maintenance free, needs no greasing ( and only costs about a third of what the old ones did, if it eventually needs replacing)

Also bought Stihl's shredding blade and screen setup for it.
That thing wreaks some serious damage on small scrubs and especially blackberry brambles.
You just waggle it back and forth and it hacks everything into tiny pieces.
pretty amazing tool, but since it only has two blades, you'll know it when you hit a rock.
P1020894.JPG P1020895.JPG P1020901.JPG P1020902.JPG P1020903.JPG

Haven't tried one on it yet, but it has lots of low torque like the c-saws.

You would need a round blade on 1" stuff. Nice blade Stig. Probably work good on our sour berry and black berries. Down side of course is that the creeks are VERY rocky here. A hedge trimmer is awesome on berries and viney stuff. I really want to try one of those. Probably need the IPL .. I like what you said about the head. Been through a few of those that came on the FS250's.

Soooooooo ....Been wanting to splice the Pinto Rig pulley into some 3/8ths Tenex TEC. Since I got a $50.00 gift cert from WesSpur for last months photo contest (thank you for every ones support!), I ordered what I need and then some and spliced up my loopie with the pulley on it. I have been doing a lot of cabling and light rigging of late. This will seriously come in handy and fits just nicely in my ditty bag on my saddle with a lot less weight than the 1/2 and block pictured with it :D

Thanks to WesSpur and a few of those there as well. :)

Attachments

• IMG_0091ed.jpg
    IMG_0091ed.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_0090ed.jpg
    IMG_0090ed.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 113
The boys really wanna learn knots and splicing. So this is intro stuff for them to play with. Next project, a spliced tow rope for grandpa to keep in his truck out of 5/8ths Tenex TEC.. :)

The guys and I all have scabbards for our polesaws. To me it makes climbing with the polesaw much better. I just 'customed' one of the guys new scabbards for him. The stupid leather buckle attachment is replaced with a bar tacked piece of 3/8" bungee with a cordura chafe sleeve and the tether is 7mm acc cord.

2013-06-22.jpg

2013-06-22.jpg

2013-06-22.jpg

This last picture is of my scabbard. Its not as fancy, but it works! I really like the Phoenix saw heads, and I like the brass snap on mine. The bungee is nice though, its very quick on/off and it holds the saw well.
2013-06-22.jpg

Like the snap on the scabbard to keep it on. We have a zubat pole saw and the scabbard never wants to stay on. I'm gonna use your technique!

love
nick

I hope it works well for you guys. With an old scabbard like mine the trick is making sure the cord lifts the saw from the snap, not from the scabbard. It has to be tight enough that the pole doesnt pull the saw out and expose the teeth.

On the new ones its a bit easier since you have the riveted ring in there. The bungee is nice but I am partial to the brass snap myself. The Phoenix polesaw heads are a great value and a neat innovation, having that 'biner hole there.

https://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?category_id=126&item=1204 $13

Yeah but the strap is a pain in the ass. Try using that thing with winter gloves on.

/ˈwintər/: a period of snow and cold found for 3-6 months per year in places other than Louisiana :lol:

I am not saying the strap isnt good enough. My goal is to always make things as uniquely fit to my style, or the persons style that I make it for. Taking the time to customize gear isnt for everyone. Often the time in doesnt equal benefit out in a pure comparison. For me though, I enjoy the time spent doing it. Then, everytime I use it, that little bit of added convenience however small is incredibly gratifying.

I love that so much of my gear is unique and custom made to my liking. From footstraps, ascender tethers, saw lanyards, scabbards, my harness, and so and so forth. I would almost always rather make something myself than buy it.

Back