O.C.G.D. Thread, part two

A beaut, but aren't those hoses hanging down rather vulnerable? They appear to have taken some hits.
:lol:Like putting a farm tractor to work in the bush skidding wood. The 540 looks like a real nice machine with good potential for serious tree work, but definitely some reinforcing and some forestry grade modifications needed to get it up to a production machine not being in the shop every other day.
Plus keeping the operator out of the hospital:)

No OCGD for me, and been that way for a while. Only cabling supplies. For the most part. And some cordage for dead eyes and prussics. Dmm Pinto pulley for a replacement o my rope bridge. Sending the HC pulley to Dave (WileyP) for destruction test to see how my bridge configuration might have compromised it.

You demo it or buy it Fred?

Purchased it (more like purchasing). Work has been bananas and the Gehl will help increase our production.

Jay, those hoses are also little long and in the way. The next set will be shorter.

Carl is a great guy to work with. If anyone is thinking about working with him in the future you won't be disappointed.

He bought! I pick up my next loader in a few hundred miles (tomorrow).

The Gehl isn't a forestry machine from the factory, but it is quite well suited for tree work. The hoses could be 12-18" shorter, they're the default hoses for the HD BMG. They have to be long enough to allow the grapple to swivel/pivot/rotate.

The Gehl isn't a forestry machine from the factory, but it is quite well suited for tree work. The hoses could be 12-18" shorter, they're the default hoses for the HD BMG. They have to be long enough to allow the grapple to swivel/pivot/rotate.

I hate to see someone get hurt but dedicating the 540 to treework you gotta at least have a 4 post canopy to protect the operator. Working and bumping around trees with a chance of debris falling on the operator calls for protection. Even loading wood on a trailer has potential of logs falling off the load and pinning the operator in his seat.

Perhaps better utilization of the machine would be better, although a 4 post ROPS/FOPS is available.

Situation dependent as well as planning Willard...
Is an accident planned? Thinking like that leads to natural selection:)
Just running over some small logs can flip up and cause some serious injury, but just working around tall trees on a machine calls for overhead protection, heavy screen guards is another good idea.

No thinking your job plan and seeing it through is tantamount to preventing most accidents. If you are loading logs on a low bed never approaching head height, then over head injuries are way lower. If you are loading a logging truck, another whole scenario. If you are running over logs.. you are not planning well. Your road should be clear. If you are pulling a tree with it and you are not 2X the tree height away, you are not planning your job proper. YES accidents happen. Thinking your job through and initiating the plan is not what leads to natural selection (this includes PPE) but quite the opposite Willard. And as Carl pointed out.. A cage can be had. For residential tree work, with proper planning and execution of that plan, I doubt it would be entirely necessary. Safer, possibly, but not entirely necessary to do one's job safely.

Thanks guys. It makes the mini look like... Well... A mini!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1371232516554.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1371232516554.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 65
Well here's the new loader! 12klbs, 98hp, 8klb tipping load with a counterweight package installed. The bucket is getting shipped to me next week.

qapuzezu.jpg

Back