O.C.G.D. Thread, part two

On the occasional day, I won't wear gloves, but I get beat up by little scratches and such, unless I'm super-careful = slower/ low production. Little infected bits of a scratched places here and there do me no good. I'm back to scab free hands, after my last day of no gloves.

On the ppe- personal protective equipment- I wear chaps everyday at ST Parks, or occasionally saw pants, and on my own, well...anyhow. I recognize high risk cutting situations and abide. I can't think of when I feel specifically safer with chaps while falling half-way sound trees than without, it always the limbing and bucking that seem higher risk. Proper saw handling techniques, religiously followed, make chaps a great Plan B.

Gripping things is unavoidable, much more so than a chainsaw cut to the area of the leg protected by chaps.

I'm much more concerned about cutting myself with a climbing saw on the arm or hand (count 'em, 10 fingers, and 10 toes), than cutting my leg. I don't feel likely to cut myself, in either situation, thankfully.
By contrast, my late friend, Mike 'the angel', had his own lidocane and suture kit.

I know that some people don't like them/ can't wear them, but I suspect that overall, they reduce many minor scratch/ abrasion wound injuries, and reduce chronic overuse injuries.

All this talk about wearing gloves and soft hands, makes me think of the cowpoke in Steinbeck's novel, 'The Red Pony'. Nobody remembers him saying that he kept one hand coated with, I think it was vasoline, under his glove, because that was the hand that he touched his wife with?

Once a year or so I will take a pair of cuticle scissors and surgically remove all the callus on my hands. I dont have soft hands at all. I have huge calluses on all my fingers, everywhere on my palms etc. I even have callus on my fingers that runs parallel to m finger bones instead of the usual perpendicular.

I wear gloves when its uncomfortable not to. Cold, thorns, spruce, etc but thats about it. For that, for me, the Atlas 300 fits are the best. The ugly/wonder gloves are loose fitting and sloppy, since they come free with every treestuff order though I have quite a few pairs!

All this talk about wearing gloves and soft hands, makes me think of the cowpoke in Steinbeck's novel, 'The Red Pony'. Nobody remembers him saying that he kept one hand coated with, I think it was vasoline, under his glove, because that was the hand that he touched his wife with?

Thats Curley in "Of Mice and Men".

Once a year or so I will take a pair of cuticle scissors and surgically remove all the callus on my hands. I dont have soft hands at all. I have huge calluses on all my fingers, everywhere on my palms etc. I even have callus on my fingers that runs parallel to m finger bones instead of the usual perpendicular.

I wear gloves when its uncomfortable not to. Cold, thorns, spruce, etc but thats about it. For that, for me, the Atlas 300 fits are the best. The ugly/wonder gloves are loose fitting and sloppy, since they come free with every treestuff order though I have quite a few pairs!

Dad has a ton of callus everywhere, when he cut his finger 15 years or so ago with a chainsaw and they opened it up and out a tendon from his toe in, the doc was surprised too see he had callus on his bones even. Dad's never a fan of
Gloves really unless it's cold, just like me.

If I was looking to hire one person and there were two applying, and all things being equal, I'd hire the one packing gloves. :drink:

True, I have done a complete switcheroo since starting tree work, I was in the never wear gloves camp, now I'm in the always wear gloves camp. Still got calluses though.

Ever get a sliver of bark embedded under your fingernail from a pine? Gloves are better. I hate getting stabbed and having to try and get something out from under my fingernail.

4yzuhy8a.jpg

Bought a Spectra UL633 construction/grading laser for an upcoming project. Tomorrow or Friday I should have pictures of the other thing I bought ;).

Haha, Adrian. ;)

Just adding to our services. I am nearly done with the $16k of clearing (tree) work, got ~$60k of dirt work there as well. Apparently the customer likes my work. :lol:

I'm looking for overlapping areas of service I can do with skilled labor (Treesmith for example) and equipment. Hence I changed the company name to Rutherford Contracting from Rutherford Tree and Stump Service.

Tried the new Tachyon today (11.7mm) using both ends in a large spreading poinciana, I like it.

I didn't feel that it was significantly smaller in the hands, but grippy gloves really helped as it is nice and smooth. Unfortunately my gloves are shedding the rubber like a snake, so the fabric underneath didn't grip as well...trip to the hardware store tomorrow.

It ran really well through the HC and a VT (5/2 in HRC) and (this is for Burnham) I have a SPLICED end! Looks and acts much better I must say.

My XTC really was getting old, in comparison it was fuzzy and worn, the tight 24 strand cover of the Tachyon is nice.

Oh yeah the colour is super, hi viz green and blue, just like my shirts, oh SO co-ordinated 8)

Back