What's the weather like in your neck of the woods?

• Thread starter Rborist1
  • Start date
  • Replies 8K
  • Views 483K
It was 28*F yesterday morning. I made a fire in the fireplace, then we started cooking for a gathering of 14 people in the afternoon. It got up to 74* inside so I ended up turning the A/C on until someone suggested opening some windows. Durrr!!!! What a concept!

NOAA says it will be 71 in Ft Bragg today. That's rare for the coast in February. It comes with a big red warning for fire danger. That's scary, but true, it's pretty dry here. We had a fire on our property that we didn't notice for days. Our landlord had done some burning about 10 days ago, finished up and poured gallons of water on it. Sunday I noticed smoke in the woods close to the house. The fire burned down into the duff quite deep, about 25 ft in diameter, was working on 2 tree trunks and there were active flames in the huckleberry bushes. Holy cow! The landlord tore it apart with his backhoe and we'll be watching it for a long time. Scary stuff, those duff fires.

Terri, they have duff fires in Siberia, that have been burning for a century.

I once logged a stand of really nice Norway spruce, Doug fir and Grand fir mixed together.
There were depressions running across it that looked like WW1 trenches.
So I asked the forester if it had been used to train soldiers for trench warfare.
Nope. They had a duff fire in early 1900.
When that finally burned out and the soil on top collapsed. that is what it ended up looking like.

We'll be watching it for a very long time. It takes all the courage I can muster up to walk into that patch of woods. It's the exact spot where we regularly hear the mountain lion screaming from in the evening and early morning. :big-shifty:

Wet, wet and wet.
We are supposed to start logging Beech next wee.
The owner might call it off because the ground is too wet.Leaves us with nothing to do.

Evry day is different. Rainy, sunny, cloudy, foggy, calm or windy, freezing cold, hot. That can change drastically in the same day. It's hard to keep up.

50s today. I felt physically ill. Nothing terrible, just blah... I get that when the weather turns warm after winter. Opened the door when I got home to warm up the house. Have a fire going now.

The forecast for today was seriously off. Strong winds and rains. The landscaper even asked me if I would climb in this weather. For the rain, I can do it even it isn't fun; for the wind it depends of how much, on what I climb and what's the surrounding (targets). Let's see.
So, almost no rain at all, at least during the work hours, and the wind was pretty mild (not the "good" direction, as often, but not a real concern). I was much more stressed by the neighbor's Mercedes parked just a few meters away from my drop zone in the street. I had to cut all the regrowth which two ashes made since the last hard pruning, say 4" diameter and about 20' long for the main sprouts, with dead wood of course. Most of the day in constant reach of the car made me quite uncomfortable. A single mistake or misbehaviour during the drop, and Bam ! All went well despite the very slipery bark. The angry neighbor (an other one) can't have any complain. Beside not cuting flush the trees, that is.

Edit: oh no, I forgot. I did had a misapp with one of the very first heads on the garden side (one of the few out of reach with the car). The butt slided right through my choked sling and luckily landed along the side fence. Pfew ! I should had see it coming. After that I put a round turn in the choke for the bare butts.

Last edited:
Almost the same here. Mid 50’s partially cloudy and high winds. Rain all day tomorrow with temps dropping in the evening. Gonna be fun Friday morning.

An old fishing buddy of my son’s that lives just west of Brisbane Australian said they’ve had 26” of rain since Thursday. I can’t even imagine.

First week of Autumn. Summer was crap, wettest for 12 years. Things are nice and green though, bit unlike a couple of years ago when everything was dying.
Only two days over 30C/85F in December and I had to work those, one 29 in Jan and the rest way below average.

Storm this morning about 6am and rain until about 3pm.

Big floods on the coast and record rainfalls, coast highway is closed so everything going to Queensland is coming up through here. Some truck drivers aren't used to this road, one rollover just south of town today closed the road. Fifth one this week according to local facebook. Bit steep and twisty in spots.

Edit: Rain just started again as I posted that.

Last edited:
Mid 50's already and they are talking high 60's for this afternoon. It will feel like summer. Washed some windows I have been waiting to have a warm day for. Got some more to do.

What a mixed up winter we have had. Better than getting stuck in a rut. Snow, cold, rain, and warm. Glad I am not using much heating oil. Still have 3/8 of a tank and didn't go in to winter with a full tank.

A bit of rain overnight and high winds. We lost power about 6 this morning. Luckily the coffee was done and I put it in a thermos. Wind alert until late afternoon and then heavy rains overnight again. It is supposed to hit 70*F today so that’s a positive.

We'll be watching it for a very long time. It takes all the courage I can muster up to walk into that patch of woods. It's the exact spot where we regularly hear the mountain lion screaming from in the evening and early morning. :big-shifty:
Do you know about stumps/ ground collapsing underfoot sinking into a smoldering, underground fire?

Back