What Did Ya'll Have For Dinner Tonight?

Jonny, is that place still on Erie ave. that made the slices that were a meal?

Stig, I have been making NY style thin crust. Not paper thin but nice and crunchy with great flavor. You let the dough rise in fridge for a few days.
PIA to stretch it out though. Really elastic. If anyone is interested I could find the link.

Russian style macaroni and cheese.
It has cabbage, peppers, mushrooms and red onion in it and is spiced with caraway seeds.
Probably too much of a commie dish for most of you, but I like it way better than regular mac & Cheese.

Tom, I learned a neat trick to stretch the dough:

Take a big bowl and upend it, then put a clean dishtowel over it.
Roll the dough out as far as you can, then place it on top of the bowl.
Now gently pull down on the sides.
Gravity will help hold it in the streched out position.

Jonny, is that place still on Erie ave. that made the slices that were a meal?

Stig, I have been making NY style thin crust. Not paper thin but nice and crunchy with great flavor. You let the dough rise in fridge for a few days.
PIA to stretch it out though. Really elastic. If anyone is interested I could find the link.
That was Pizza Junction, sadly something went screwy in the business, somebody screwed over somebody else and it folded. Good Guys at Nash and Ruie has a very similar recipe and rumor is the owner is a past employee of Junction.

Mushroom, spinach and Feta cheese strudel.

I keep a folder of the recipes that form the basics of my cooking.
Looked through them today and realized i hadn't made a Strudel since forever.

Pretty close to how I do mine.
I use a recipe from the cook book that really changed my life:

I have the original one, where she goes much heavier on the fat stuff like cream, sour cream and cheese. In the second edition she went leaner.
I don't get lean....................I mean, just eat less.

Being a vegetarian in Denmark in the 60es-70es was like being a space alien.
then I went to California, ran into the Moosewood cookbook and suddenly I was mainstream :)

I still do a lot of my cooking from that book.

Last edited:
I have that book(the original), but I don't cook much. Haven't opened it in years. I probably should.

Paulaner Salvator, gulasch, currywurst, and kraut. Went to the German place with my mother. Might be my favorite restaurant :^)

Did the orzo, broccoli, feta, parmesan, hot red peppers, walnuts dish again...it's a regular. Stig, I doubt you will escape visiting us without seeing this one on your plate :D.

Did the orzo, broccoli, feta, parmesan, hot red peppers, walnuts dish again...it's a regular. Stig, I doubt you will escape visiting us without seeing this one on your plate :D.

Well, twist my arm :)

I think it's called a pontic bridge, if he can't fix it I might have to go for an implant. Can't really afford that but I can't walk around looking like a meth head either.

Well I got the first part of the implant today, it's not a bad hourly rate that's for sure. It's going to take me a few days to make that back.

Not supposed to chew much for a week so it's chicken curry with brown rice and broccoli tonight.

Roasted the supermarket holiday freebie turkey w/giblet gravy, stir-fried zucchini & sweet onions and asian short grain rice. MMMmmmmm!

Tried to do vegetable fried rice, tasted good but was kinda mushy. Too cold of a pan i assume?

Rice was mushy? Might have been overdone before frying. Too cool a pan could do it also I guess. That would allow too much oil absorption.

For that dish, my method is to cook the rice separately, in a proper rice steamer fer gad's sake, then keep it warm therein. Sauté the veggies after the rice is done and being kept warm in the steamer, then quickly toss together in a fairly high temp skillet to bring the whole thing up to hot. Stir constantly. If it isn't sizzling when you let it sit a long moment, it isn't hot enough. That be the mo betta way to avoid mushy rice or veggies.

If you want to add prawns or sliced chicken, sautéed with garlic, do that on the side in a separate pan until just on the cusp of done, then toss it into the veggie/rice pan for the final finishing and heat through.

Last edited:
Best way to do fried rice is cook the rice a day before, keep it in the fridge. Then first stir fry your veg, (or whatever) add the rice on fairly high heat.

That's the old way I've always known.

Braised steak & onions with red potatoes, carrots and broccoli tonight. And a bit of Cabernet Merlot seeing as I don't have that very often.

Last edited: