What Did Ya'll Have For Dinner Tonight?

Visiting my little bro’s new place, got a bunch of pizza and wings en route, beer and bourbon flowing and probably gonna play “Cards Against Humanity”. That game is a riot.

i think I've commented on this before: it's nothing to do with the forum. The phone places an orientation tag on the pic that determines which way is "up". You can remove the exif data from the photo before posting which should fix it. If you upload directly from your phone, there's a good chance the photo won't have the correct orientation.

Thanksgiving dinner with wife's family, I'm so stuffed i can hardly move. My son is also a Thanksgiving natural, he mowed down for an hour and a half, several plates worth, and then later was walking around eating another dinner roll. 🤣 🤣 He also demanded snuggles from everyone there, while he lounged on their laps. He's a pro at holidays and he isn't even 2 yet :lol:

Vegan "turkey" cutlets, and stir fried teriyaki vegetables/noodles. Ate too much cause I also had a bunch of hot peanuts when I got home from work. I've been digging the vegan "turkey" stuff. I'm not a big fan of turkey, but the processed stuff is /ok/. This is kind of like processed turkey, and it's easy to prepare. I'm all about easy.

Well, I tried Burnham's Corn bread recipe today.
Made some Ratatouille and a beet salad to go with it.

It turned out really fine, even without the egg.

Now, obviously I don't know how it is supposed to be ( Maybe I can talk Burnham into making it for me, when I visit him),
But my version got a nice crust and both the mail order bride and the dog loved it.

I'll have to make it next time I thaw up a tomato soup from the freezer.

Glad to hear it, Stig. Did you just omit the egg, or substitute some vegan magical ingredient? We'll put it on the menu for sure when you are here.

I've never heard of a "Vegan magical ingredient" :lol:

I just made it without the egg.

You all are funny!

Great, Stig. Thinking back on the historical background of cornbread as a staple of life in mostly impoverished southern families, I'd bet eggs did not make it into the mix, often as not.

I'll also have to say that my mother, that now long gone southern cooking family matriarch, always was rather snide about M's inclusion of some sweetener in her cornbread recipe. Old school southern cornbread was unsweetened, and I grew up with it that way. Never did sit well with Mama that I loudly professed my preference for M's cornbread over the matriarch's.

So there are many ways to skin this cat :D.

Had a hitman’s delight sub. Italian sausage, capicolla, provolone, fried hot and sweet peppers and onions, and hot sauce.
Pretty greasy and tasty :)
I’ll save the other half for tomorrow.

We had grilled pork bits and some whitetail tenderloin.

Last night we had the first of the tenderloin and also some breaded deer heart.

Been eating good lately.

The deer heart was greatly improved by the idea of soaking the cleaned slices in buttermilk for about 45 minutes.

I’ve always wanted to try the heart.
Pretty lean probably. Is it tender? Is the texture like steak or is it kinda pasty like liver?

Pretty much a mixture of steak and liver....texture wise.

Real dense, but not too tough.....as long as you dont over cook.

We slice the hearts and wash them very well.

The buttermilk soak was a new idea.....and we decided it took quite a bit of the "mineral" taste out of the meat.

Flour the slices, egg dip and then dip in seasoned crushed up crackers. Just like a chicken fried steak.

You all are funny!

Great, Stig. Thinking back on the historical background of cornbread as a staple of life in mostly impoverished southern families, I'd bet eggs did not make it into the mix, often as not.

I'll also have to say that my mother, that now long gone southern cooking family matriarch, always was rather snide about M's inclusion of some sweetener in her cornbread recipe. Old school southern cornbread was unsweetened, and I grew up with it that way. Never did sit well with Mama that I loudly professed my preference for M's cornbread over the matriarch's.

So there are many ways to skin this cat :D.

When I make sourdough hotcakes the way I learned when I was buckarooing in Idaho, I omit the eggs.
Milt, the old guy who taught me, said that when he started cooking for a sheep outfit at age 11, they sure as shit didn't have eggs, so that was the original way of making them.