What Did Ya'll Have For Dinner Tonight?

I've been craving an apple pie lately, so on a whim, I went to the most expensive bakery in town. I asked about the apple pies and they were out... they do the baking 2 times a day and then that's it. So, I ordered a pie to pick-up after 1 pm. Remember that scene in Pulp Fiction where Travolta has to take the boss's wife out? She wanted to go to that place with the best milkshake? A FIVE DOLLAR MILKSHAKE?

Well, this pie is gonna be my $5 milkshake... it cost $26.50!!! Man, I've never had such pricey pie before - EVER!!!

Have any of you? I'm thinking of getting my nest pie at Walmart...

Nope. But then, I can't think of a single time I've ever bought a whole pie at any price :). My dear Ms. M bakes pies to die for, so that takes care of that :D.

Have bought a slice in a restaurant, once in a rare while...and now that you bring it up, if one where to compute the total cost of a pie from the 1/6 of a pie slice price I have seen charged, or paid...you might well have got a bargain :D.

For me it would be, too! Back to the frozen fruit pies at the supermarket...a fellow could do worse...that being no pie at all!

I was thing maybe 15 bucks for a nice apple pie. This sucker better have the silkiest, flakiest, butteriest crust EVER!!!

Well, I tried Burnham's Corn bread recipe today.
Made some Ratatouille and a beet salad to go with it.

It turned out really fine, even without the egg.

Now, obviously I don't know how it is supposed to be ( Maybe I can talk Burnham into making it for me, when I visit him),
But my version got a nice crust and both the mail order bride and the dog loved it.

I'll have to make it next time I thaw up a tomato soup from the freezer.

I was thing maybe 15 bucks for a nice apple pie. This sucker better have the silkiest, flakiest, butteriest crust EVER!!!
Butch, we've got some fine bakeries/farm stores up this way that charge $20-$25 for their pies, so from my perspective, you should be getting a Cadillac version for that much money down there. Bon Appetit!

Well, it ain't looking like a $26 pie! Too early to eat...

When I was picking it up I saw a 10" red velvet pie - $42!!! At least my pie is 12".

Cold or hot? Everyone makes a big deal out of hot apple pie, but my favorite is cold from the fridge.

Wild, or raised rabbit? How'd you prepare them?

Never had rabbit. I've had squirrel and enjoyed it, but it's been years since I've had any.

These were rabbits that the kids raised.

The first night I breaded and pan fried the pieces. The meat was very good. Some of it tasted like fried chicken, some did not!

It was a little on the tough side, but I guess that was our fault as the bucks we killed were 6 months old....instead of the recommended 3.

Not too tough....just a bit tougher than chicken.

Last night we did a "German" rabbit stew.

Browned the pieces in a dutch oven and then the wife added some onion and flour and made a white sauce/roux.

She added some other stuff and then bay and chicken broth. Slow simmered for several hours.

She pulled the bones out and threw it back in for a while.

Served the "stew" over white rice.

Had some carrots on the side......because I am weird.

Drop a few big scoops of vanilla ice cream on it :)

I’ve been eating pan fried fish lately.
I drop a teaspoon or so of butter in the pan, medium heat and dump a bunch of crushed red pepper in the melted butter and let it simmer a little bit, nice and spicy all over, no little bits where it’s really hot and other bits that are bland. Probably common knowledge to the cooks but I’ve usually just dumped red pepper on food before I eat it like salt or
Yesterday was a frozen seafood mix from Aldi with mussels, scallops, squid, and shrimp. A little lemon juice and some broccoli. Day before perch, day or 2 before was tilapia.
All of it from Aldi, their frozen seafood is great.

I rub the seasonings on the fish, helps get it in the pores better. Also fry a couple pieces of bacon first, and then use the bacon grease and butter to fry the fish. Skin side down first, then a single flip, no more (just like a steak). A fat operator showed me that, dude could really cook! I'm drooling thinking about it.

Bacon grease helps a lot of sides too. Fry 2 or 3 strips, then dump a can of green beans in there and crumble the bacon while the beans get a little crispy and soak up all the grease. Never had better green beans than like that!

Yesterday was a frozen seafood mix from Aldi with mussels, scallops, squid, and shrimp.

That's the same mix I use on my seafood pizza, just made one.

The world is a small place these days.

I've got a good recipe for rabbit in red wine, it came with a cast iron frying pan I bought years ago. Works a bit better with wild but farmed rabbit comes out pretty good. I could post it if anyone wants it.

The wife and I drove all the way to Copenhagen to try a swiss restaurant, that opened this summer.
It was excellent. Like being in Schweiz.
Bit pricey, but well worth it.
I had a traditional Swiss beet soup, a spinach knödel with a pumpkin-mushroom sauce and a selection of cheeses for dessert.

We'll definitely go there again.

The wife enjoyed speaking her native language with the waitress and the owner.

Went to a Mexican place with a friend. Got my usual vegetarian special, a couple big ass beers, and a shot of Patron. Pretty good night :^)