What Did Ya'll Have For Dinner Tonight?

Golden Syrup.

I was wondering if you had that over there. I watched a documentary the other day that had a part about Lyle's golden syrup (England), turns out they sold it to the US after 130 years. They left that out. https://www.theguardian.com/business/2010/jul/01/tate-lyle-sale-sugar-business

It's been made here by CSR for longer than that. I rarely use it but some recipes just don't work without it, like Anzac Biscuits

Damper in a camp oven is the best. https://www.snowys.com.au/blog/how-to-make-damper-in-a-camp-oven/

Tonight was sirloin with carrots and spinach from the garden and and a couple of those strange low carb baby potatoes that I got from the supermarket.

Tonight I'll be grilling some pheasants that I shot on Saturday. They're marinating in a spicy maple marinade that I invented.

I made a creamy white soup out of Onions, Parsnips, Cauliflover, Leeks and Potatoes.
With lots and lots of Garlic.

A bacon double cheeseburger with tomato, onions, mushrooms, and pickles. The meat was a mixture of freshly butchered local ground beef, elk from Montana, and moose from British Colombia. Two bowls of chili made with the same meat mixture. Potato salad, baked beans, and a white chocolate macadamia cookie for dessert.

Smash it up. Add some garlic, squeeze some lemon on it, cilantro, little salsa, salt and pepper, red onion. Call it guacamole! Delicious. I just had a giant serving of guac. Chicken nachos for dinner. Mmmm, mmmmm, mmmmmmm!!,!

No, you did it right Butch. If the taste doesn't seem like something you enjoy, then all the rest of it like Justin is suggesting won't change that.

It's raw in his guacamole, too.

Good on you for giving it a try.

It had such an odd neutral taste... it wasn't bad or good... just odd. I can see how adding tons of seasoning would make it more palatable - but that way to eat has always puzzled me. Like eating raw oysters... no real flavor but the seasoning.

It was like a filler you needed to add flavor to. I can kinda dig it...

But. It's much mo better in guac form then just plain jane. IMO. Love guac, kinda meh about a plain avocado though.

I love both. A great avocado, perfectly ripe, is a gift from the gods direct to your tongue. And a lovely guac is impossible to beat.

Actually Butch, there can be a huge variation in flavor from one avocado to the next. Perfect ripeness is often hard to hit. And then there are the two or three commercial varieties, each with it's own differences. Haas is probably the most commonly available across the USA, and generally very flavorful, imo...but some of them are bland, too.

Nearly impossible to tell from the outside. Ripeness is something you can learn to judge, easy enough...but the magic special top notch flavor??? Roll of the dice :).

Try some more, Butch. Buy them when they are sort of hard, leave them on the kitchen counter and give them a very gentle squeeze every morning. When you feel a tiny bit of give, they are close. The stem end will start to be soft before the rest of the fruit. Ripe is when the flavor blooms...they will be bland before that, for sure. I put them in the refrigerator when they seem about ready to eat...they'll hold for a week then, easily.

Bland... that was kinda it. Great advice! I will persevere and report back!

I am on an avocado hunt!!!

VWyRECL.gif

When in search of good avocados I go to one of the Mexican grocery stores and get them. If they sold unripe avocados there would be a riot out front.

How much do you guys pay for them? Haas are $2.70 each here now, sometimes they're a bit cheaper this time of year.

Barramundi night again. Must have smelled alright, I just went to get a beer and found this guy hanging around.

He's only small and I haven't seen many around here but there's plenty in Sydney, really big ones in cocos palms and gums with lose bark.

Women love them.

008.jpg