Wedging Small Diameter Trees

Boys: Willie is the hugest liar I've met so far. You cld eat off the floor of his shop on its worst day. He uses simple green on his bucket truck. I'm talking about the boom and the chip-box and everything! :roll:

Riiiight, my dog doesn't eat in there!

Haha, I doubt this accuser will go away though! And it was an f'n punk, don't forget it!

Twas my Grampa's, I remember that vice from my earliest recollection ,glad I was able to keep it

Sorry to derail the derail guys. My experience falling small timber when I was logging on piecework was alot of backleaners could be pushed over by hand. You just get them rocking a few times and over they go. If that wasn't possible, then go cut a 20 foot long pole and push it over with that.
Our camps tried the Sandvik felling levers but they were just a PIA to carry while working piecework. The company supplied all us pulpwood fallers with 3 -8"wedges and a 1 1/2 lb hatchet with pouch/holster , this worked pretty good.
But working a face with the common lean and no head wind I just pushed most small back leaners over by hand.

Having seen Willies shop this summer, I can testify to the fact that it is just as clean and orderly as my own.

That means you can move almost 3 feet in any direction without bumping into a piece of equipment:lol:

Bid on a 7' DBH black oak removal that I doubt I get, but only break it out about once a year for actual cutting purposes

I have an 090G that gets used on rare occasion, but I much more break it out to have people try and lift it. :lol: I'd trade it for an 090 less gear drive, in similar mint condition. 8)

Yeah 090 G is like the 1950 Buick Special. A real classic.

In the latter years, Willie, the 090 was only used to cut stumps down to size so a grinder could handle them.

My buddy is helping a guy sell a 090G. I am not sure what condition it is in but I know it has a new starter assembly.

One problem with running a G is that the sprockets are a rare commodity. Mine still has the original one on there, a saw I inherited when my tree cutting mentor passed away. It's for the half inch chain that came with it. Long cutters, so still lots of use left, and the sprocket is barely worn. A nice thing about the saw is the muffler, a tiny little can. Great sounding saw that honks away at slow chain speed.

What's the "best" method to wedge over a small diameter tree using an 8" wedge and axe.
I bought this little firewood splitting steel wedge from a local hardware store a while back just for the purpose of wedging over smaller trees. Its a Fiskars 16460 made in Finland. Its 6 inches long weighs about 2 lbs or more and damn it works really good in small trees. Real nice sharp edge and about 2 inches of lift.

Attachments

• SDC12279.jpg
    SDC12279.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 30
  • SDC12278.jpg
    SDC12278.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 30
Back