Wedging Small Diameter Trees

Jed, you need to set a second wedge beside the first, snug it up, then bore under the first wedge only. Make sense?

Boring under a wedge is often the only way you can loosen one wedge to be able to stack it with another. You risk losing a little bit of lift doing so at times, but the gain from stacking them usually makes it all worth the while. Least in the woods it's often the case.

I suppose if had a long enough lever you coud raise the empire state building .

Archimedes said, give me a place to stand on, and I'll move the earth.

And no, it is not me in the lever picture. I scissored it from the net.

Jer: Thanks very much. My new arborist foreman (from the East Coast where the only thing they wedge is a door) is a minimalist, and can't stand the though of a single extra thing rattling around in our chip truck, so I've been cruelly reduced to a bare minimum. Cool trick to know.

Willie: Want to sell your 090?:lol:

Its true, I have one with a 36" .063 bar i'd let go if someone wanted it bad enough

Willie showed a vid with the plunge cut through the face, flat/ even with the horizontal of the face cut. When the tree goes over with the wedge protuding into the face, it is supported, and will not snapped off by the falling spar.

With two 8" wedges, without beat up/ cut up tips, you can bore through the facecut, as above, and then go to the back side and bore in below the first kerf by 1/2" or little more. Set both wedges with alternating taps, then drive them with alternating blow until they have some pressure on them (more important if its backleaning). Then finish your backcut from both sides. Pound away.

The wood between the wedges' kerfs will break free, and keep the wedges from spitting out. Neither will bottom out because of the full bore cuts. The bore cuts will keep the wedges pretty straight, if cut propertly.

You can stack three wedges with a third kerf bored-in before the finishing backcuts.

Its true, I have one with a 36" .063 bar i'd let go if someone wanted it bad enough

Now you tell me.
I've wanted an 090 for years, just for kicks. As far as I know, there isn't a single one in Denmark. Just like there wasn't a single 084 untill I bought one.
I would have found a way to sneak it on the plane, if you'd told me it was for sale.

One of the 2 i'm holding, you can just make it out under the work bench on the right side

Attachments

• 090's 001.jpg
    090's 001.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0274.jpg
    IMG_0274.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 17
Hadn't really thought about it. Just haven't used it, thought i'd run my alaska mill with it but didn't realize I need at least a 42" bar for a 36" mill so been using the 660 when I needed to as I didn't feel like buying another bar for the 090. Open to offers I guess

Boys: Willie is the hugest liar I've met so far. You cld eat off the floor of his shop on its worst day. He uses simple green on his bucket truck. I'm talking about the boom and the chip-box and everything! :roll:

Back