Rope diameter for pulling

Treeaddict

Treehouser
I’m trying to figure out what type of force a 1 ton pickup can put on a rope. Assuming traction could it break a 5/8” rope? A 1” rope?

Anyone break a rope pulling ? What size or equipment? Rope type?

Mid line. Was not a new rope. We dont do that with new rope. Unless it's absolutely critical. I use a porty on the pintle hitch to hitch the rope to the truck.
I have broken a running bowline on a tree once. But I usually build in some extra friction through a crotch and basil tie or a few wraps on a basil tie .

Seems like this thread is a good way to build collective wisdom! Anyone ever break a 1/2” rope lifting with a GRCS?

In 40+ years of tree work, I've never broken a rope, either pulling or rigging. Trying to pull out stuck trucks is another matter.
Almost said that too (didn't want to seem preachy , hehehe) , Rope is downgraded and retired well before that could ever happen on the job

I guess I should specify that I have never broke a rope pulling a tree over. Yarding stuff out of creek beds certainly. Rigging I think maybe once, but the details escape me. Obviously not catastrophic..

I've broken one old, old rope on a hard pull on a log off a spar in a no-risk situation. Log just sat back onto the spar. Another rope pulled it off. Working solo, nobody in the tree.
5-6 years ago.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
What started the topic of this thread was that I had a group of probably eight blow downs. They are diameters were between six and 20 inches. They were still partially rooted. They were directly over top of the neighbors, shed and fence I needed to pull the canopies over into the customers yard. Needed to set up a redirect and pull. I originally lassoed it with 1/2”. I wasn’t comfortable with it so I set up the 5/8 stablebraid. Pulled until I spun tires on dry grass in 4wd high. Maybe I could have done 4wd low on pavement but I was too skeart.

Rarely here. I would rather finesse than force.. but sometimes, with real ugly stick sticks. A med fast hard pull to get it to hit the less expensive object, is what you need.

What are the definitions here? This is what I thought Stephen was referring to...

IPS_Z-Rig_Components_001-1024x577.png

It's all pretty cheap when you consider the gear has multiple uses. A maasdam is invaluable though. It does a lot of work for almost throwaway money. Also, a Zdrag can be added to the maasdam for extra pull.

Pulling with any truck is marginal on a big pull- small contact area to the road. Biggest cause of breaking ropes when pulling is knots. I use an oversize portawrap on the vehicle or winch (thanks for the idea @stig ). In the tree I usually wrap the rope several times around the stem before tying off - better bend radius is where it’s at.

Diameter is dependant for me on what I’m pulling with - I’m not going to use 24mm line on a hand pull or 11mm with the 9ton tractor mounted winch. Elasticity of line can complicate things a little.

Back